Lisbon & Secrets of the Douro, Emerald Waterways

terry&mike

I have recently booked on an October, 2020 sailing with Emerald Waterways (Lisbon & Secrets of the Douro) because the special group pricing was too good to pass up. I have sailed on several river cruise lines in the past, mostly Viking, but not an Emerald yet. 

If anyone out there has recently sailed with Emerald, especially on their Portugal sailing, I would love to hear your thoughts and experience.

• 4 months later...

Hello!

My Mom and I  did this cruise with Emerald in October of 2018.  We loved it. The ship is small, due to the lock sizes. This means the rooms are slightly smaller, but still with plenty of room.  We spent so little time in our rooms the size didn’t matter.  The ship holds around  112 passengers and this means you get to know your fellow passengers and crew very well.

In terms of the cruise, no cruising at night, but this means you can lounge on the sun deck during the short trips between stops, watching the beautiful scenery go by.  The stops are mostly in small towns, or villages, with surprisingly good local port/wine tastings and great tours by Emerald. 

Take part in the fun onboard activities, I won a nice bottle of port at a blind taste testing competition and made a neat painted tile. 

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. 

And don’t miss the vineyard dinner, it was wonderful, and so much fun!

5 hours ago, Katstress said:

Hello!

My Mom and I  did this cruise with Emerald in October of 2018.  We loved it. The ship is small, due to the lock sizes. This means the rooms are slightly smaller, but still with plenty of room.  We spent so little time in our rooms the size didn’t matter.  The ship holds around  112 passengers and this means you get to know your fellow passengers and crew very well.

In terms of the cruise, no cruising at night, but this means you can lounge on the sun deck during the short trips between stops, watching the beautiful scenery go by.  The stops are mostly in small towns, or villages, with surprisingly good local port/wine tastings and great tours by Emerald. 

Take part in the fun onboard activities, I won a nice bottle of port at a blind taste testing competition and made a neat painted tile. 

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. 

And don’t miss the vineyard dinner, it was wonderful, and so much fun!

Thank you - wonderful feedback.