Another NEW Ship

captjohn

What will we name her ?

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings today announced an order for a new 750-guest ship for Regent Seven Seas Cruises. 

The new vessel will be a sister ship to Seven Seas Explorer and Seven Seas Splendor and will be designed and built by Fincantieri S.p.A. for delivery in late 2023.

Details regarding her itineraries, accommodations, dining venues, amenities and onboard experiences will be revealed leading up to her 2023 debut. Voyages for the ship’s inaugural season will go on sale in 2021.

“We are excited to build on the spectacular success of Seven Seas Explorer and Seven Seas Splendor as we embark on bringing to life a new vessel that will set an even higher benchmark for elegance, luxury and style,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. “This new ship further strengthens our Company’s robust yet measured growth profile with vessels now on order for all three of our award-winning brands, enabling us to expand our presence globally, further diversify our product offerings and continue to drive shareholder returns.”

“Over the past 12 months Regent Seven Seas Cruises has completed a $125 million revitalization of our fleet, began construction on Seven Seas Splendor, unveiled our 2020-2021 Voyage Collection with 167 itineraries and new ports, introduced new relaxed outdoor evening dining venues, debuted the industry’s most immersive Cuba  itineraries, revealed Go Local Tours shore excursions, and today we announce the order for our newest category-defining luxury cruise ship," said Jason Montague, president and chief executive officer of Regent Seven Seas Cruises. "Our growth is a reflection of the amazing people who work across our fleet, our valued shoreside employees, our loyal guests and their trusted travel advisors.  These are exciting times for everyone associated with Regent Seven Seas Cruises and we can’t wait to show you what’s next.”

The contract price for the vessel is approximately €475 million. 

The company has obtained export credit financing with favorable terms to fund 80 percent of the contract price of the ship, subject to certain Italian government approvals.

With today's announcement, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings has eleven ships on order for delivery through 2027 including seven ships on order for Norwegian Cruise Line, two for Oceania Cruises and two for Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  The Company will take delivery of its newest ship, Norwegian Encore, in fall 2019.

“This agreement is the perfect seal of the work our Group has carried out over the years and the role we have gained on the market. We are able to enter and maintain a reference market presence in every niche, including the most unique and competitive as the ultra-luxury one, in which Regent Seven Seas Cruises operates. Quality is the ship owner’s hallmark and it entrusted Fincantieri once again,” stated Giuseppe Bono, CEO of Fincantieri. “Today we have 10 ships on order for Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. in our order book, 5 of which have been secured in the last 5 months, for all the three brands in their portfolio: this result confirms the strength of the strategies we carried out, allowing us to reiterate our leadership in the sector at a global level.”

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20231-regent-orders-new-ship-for-2023-delivery.html

We like this ship design at lot (on Explorer in 2 weeks) with the exception of outside forward deck space.

I have my formerly submitted set of names handy, but probably need to rethink them (they were Navigator, Mariner, Voyager & Explorer-compatible).  Thinking this one will likely be the "Glamor."  Oh well.

Edited by Portolan

10 minutes ago, daetchief said:

Seven Seas Grandeur or to conform to the Regent's naming conventions - Grandyoor!

Watch out - there will like be a contest as there was for Splendor and you wouldn't want someone to steal your idea:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

I wonder if they've considered an expedition ship. Crystal and Seabourn each have one, and it would open up a lot of new itineraries.

Regent leased an expedition ship for a while but let it go.  It is a thought for the future.  Silversea has the most expedition ships and that is the cruise line I would sail and is recommended by our TA.

Bye Bye Navigator; will be interesting to see if it is sold in an orderly fashion (i.e., stop selling itineraries as of a specific date) or if they let the buyer take possession early and cancel cruises that may already be booked.

Marc

Great News!  This will give me yet-another opportunity to "float" my earlier recommendation as to Splendor.  Regent missed a great chance during that naming competition.  How could it not have chosen my nomination: 

"Terminator"

And, Arnold Schwarzenegger would have been selected for the christening ceremony, at which time he would have reprised that "Terminator" line: 

"I'll be Baaaaak!"

How could this possibly be misinterpreted?  Terminate the competition; encourage repeat patronage.  Is that not in line with corporate culture to beef-up the bottom line? 

When aboard Explorer on its March-April 2017 cruise from Miami to Venice--I mentioned my earlier nomination for that new ship to Cruise Director John Barron.  By that time, Regent management had already gone in another direction by selecting "Splendor". Two nights later, when introducing President and CEO Jason Montague at a Q&A session in Explorer's Theater, John had the good sense to call me out for "recognition" as to the wisdom of my suggestion. 

As I waved in approval--my wife was seeking cover under a table!

Well, the past is prologue.  And, no hard feelings.  My wife and I have reconciled.  We have shared several subsequent Regent cruises; have two more planned; and will be aboard Splendor in March, 2020 when celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent leased an expedition ship for a while but let it go.  It is a thought for the future.  Silversea has the most expedition ships and that is the cruise line I would sail and is recommended by our TA.

Actually, Ponant has the most...11 and counting.  A & K and Tauck regularly charter entire Ponant ships for expeditions to places like the Arctic and Antarctic.  Beautiful all balcony ships with great cuisine (after all, it's a French company).

11 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Actually, Ponant has the most...11 and counting.  A & K and Tauck regularly charter entire Ponant ships for expeditions to places like the Arctic and Antarctic.  Beautiful all balcony ships with great cuisine (after all, it's a French company).

Of course you are correct.  For purposes of CC, I look at Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.  These seem to be the luxury cruise lines that people in the U.S. sail on most frequently.

Lets hope they choose a name which works on both sides of the Atlantic, not like the Spendour, Please note the correct spelling !!!

Also they sort out the awful sight lines in the theatre, as the Explorer is poor in this respect , especially the upper tier where the stage is not visible.

However looking forward to the new ship and hope to sail on her, although do wonder what this will mean for the Navigator's future? Maybe it no longer matches up to the other ships in terms of facilities.

11 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Lets hope they choose a name which works on both sides of the Atlantic, not like the Spendour, Please note the correct spelling !!!

Also they sort out the awful sight lines in the theatre, as the Explorer is poor in this respect , especially the upper tier where the stage is not visible.

However looking forward to the new ship and hope to sail on her, although do wonder what this will mean for the Navigator's future? Maybe it no longer matches up to the other ships in terms of facilities.

I hope they do not get rid of the Navigator.  It is the friendliest of all the ships.  I prefer it to the Mariner any day.  Many different opinions on the various ships. 

26 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I hope they do not get rid of the Navigator.  It is the friendliest of all the ships.  I prefer it to the Mariner any day.  Many different opinions on the various ships. 

I don't think that Regent will get rid of the Navigator in the foreseeable future.  She is going to be refurbished this year which is a good sign.  When the ship is launched in 2023, they may reevaluate her future.  Although we no longer sail on Navigator, she is a beautiful ship and it would be a shame for her to be sold.  In my opinion, as long as she remains mechanically sound, Regent will keep her.

I have really enjoyed the Grand Suites in 1200 and 1201 on Explorer in part because the balcony juts out from the ship, for a great rear view of the ship.  We booked a Splendor cruise, in one of these suites, in part because of this feature.   In looking at the latest illustration of the sixth ship to the fleet, it looks like they have eliminated this or at least shifted the decks.  It looks like the Regent Suite has been moved down to the 12th floor (so it has the balcony that juts out from the side of the ship) and an open front deck above it has been added.  I know the top deck at the front of the ship being open on the Explorer, has been something people have been asking for, and it looks like their wish has come true.  I'm wondering how Grand Suite layouts will be affected.    I guess i'll just have to start booking Regent suites on this boat, oh well.  Haha

image001.jpg

On 1/16/2019 at 10:00 PM, doc47 said:

I hope Regent enters to riverboat market!

Don't hold your breath - we asked Jason M this question in a recent Town Hall and he stated that Regent had no desire to branch out into this market as Crystal has done - he stated that Regent was a luxury ocean cruising brand and they planned to keep it that way.

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I don't think that Regent will get rid of the Navigator in the foreseeable future.  She is going to be refurbished this year which is a good sign.  When the ship is launched in 2023, they may reevaluate her future.  Although we no longer sail on Navigator, she is a beautiful ship and it would be a shame for her to be sold.  In my opinion, as long as she remains mechanically sound, Regent will keep her.

I agree - there won't be any sale at least until the new ship is launched, and even then I'd like to see them hang onto Navigator if it's economically feasible to do so.  Maybe reconfigure her as kind of 'expedition lite' or something, sail her into more diverse ports at least.  I'll admit that I have a soft spot in my heart for this quirky old tub.   :classic_wink:

On 1/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, daetchief said:

Seven Seas Grandeur or to conform to the Regent's naming conventions - Grandyoor!

I'm still going to submit 'Shippy McShipface' - or 'Shippy McShipfacer' if the naming conventions are still in place.

I don’t think Regent is interested in either expedition cruising or river cruising.  They are very good at what they currently do.  We cruise on Silversea regularly for the expedition aspect, and that is a total different animal.  But I am excited for another new ship.

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I don’t think Regent is interested in either expedition cruising or river cruising.  They are very good at what they currently do.  We cruise on Silversea regularly for the expedition aspect, and that is a total different animal.  But I am excited for another new ship.

Well, from what Jason said last year, I'm sure they're not thinking about getting into the river market...but with a third Explorer-class ship hitting the water before too long, I can see how Navigator could re repurposed to travel more off the beaten path.  Not a full expedition ship, of course, but send her places the other Regent ships don't go.  She was originally designed as a polar research (read: spy) vessel, wasn't she?  I think she has a strengthened hull, although not ice-rated.  I'd have to research that a little, though.

I would love if Navigator were more of an expedition type ship.  It would be a great fit.  She did start off as a Russian spy ship after all.  Hull is not the ice rating to sail through icebergs, but is strengthened is my understanding.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, doc47 said:

I hope Regent enters to riverboat market!

Sorry - In my opinion, the rivers are becoming so crowded that they do not need more ships.  I would much rather see Regent re-enter the expedition market - perhaps with the Navigator.

In terms of Splendor's name - it is spelled correctly for people in the U.S.  If Regent was a British company, they would likely spell it as they do in the U.K.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sorry - In my opinion, the rivers are becoming so crowded that they do not need more ships.  I would much rather see Regent re-enter the expedition market - perhaps with the Navigator.

In terms of Splendor's name - it is spelled correctly for people in the U.S.  If Regent was a British company, they would likely spell it as they do in the U.K.

Agree on both points

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

......................... and there are many ports around the world with too many cruise ships visiting, but that is the subject of another discussion.

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

........ but, of course, Regent is looking to market its cruises and ships worldwide not just to those in the US.

However the main issue is that Seven Seas Splendor is an awful name for a ship (IMHO) and does not fit with the theme of the other ships in the Regent fleet.

Hopefully Regent management and marketing will review some of the excellent suggested names put forward by their customers last time around when they come to choose the name of the next ship.