Edge Kid's camp? Kids programming? Family activities?

rachelmle1

We just booked the 2019 Christmas sailing for the Edge.  My husband and I are both 40 and we have two kids - ages 9 and 7.  We are also sailing with my in laws - both in their early 70's.  We have only sailed together on the RCCL megaships (Anthem, Harmony) and we were looking for something not as crazy and crowded this time around.  My kids didn't like the RCCL kids camps at all - WAAAAAY too many kids and no organized activities. It seemed to always be a game of tag or dodge ball - or a movie.  Does anyone have any reviews of the Edge kids camp or programming?  What are some of the family friendly activities you've seen onboard?

I know it's a brand new ship and it's probably working out some kinks.... but I'm getting nervous reading all the reviews that state that there is "nothing to do" except sit by the pool.  

Rachel ~ I meant to check out the kids camp on Edge last week and never got down there to do that.  It's on Deck 2 and peeking in the door as we walked by it looked nice but I never got back to take photos.  One thing is for sure.....you won't find the ship overrun with kids.  There were some children onboard but really a handful compared to Royal Caribbean.  I am certain that between now and your sailing someone will be able to share more details about the programs they have for kids.  I think they have more for them to do than sit around the pool.  I do have the daily activities sheets from last week that I'll post later today.  

1 minute ago, Host Anne said:

Rachel ~ I meant to check out the kids camp on Edge last week and never got down there to do that.  It's on Deck 2 and peeking in the door as we walked by it looked nice but I never got back to take photos.  One thing is for sure.....you won't find the ship overrun with kids.  There were some children onboard but really a handful compared to Royal Caribbean.  I am certain that between now and your sailing someone will be able to share more details about the programs they have for kids.  I think they have more for them to do than sit around the pool.  I do have the daily activities sheets from last week that I'll post later today.  

Thanks, Anne.  Our RCCL cruises were fun - but we all felt they were waaaaay too crowded.  There was also SOOOO much to do onboard (waterslides, carousel, ice skating, Abyss slide, etc.) that we felt like we were literally running from one thing to another.  We don't need all the bells and whistles of the RCCL ships, but certainly want *some* organized family activities.  I'm assuming that the Christmas sailing will have more families onboard and the activity programming on the ship will account for the holiday sailing.

• 1 month later...

Following, and hoping some who have sailed Edge with kids might be able to chime in.

And in particular, Host Anne, it would be great if you could post the daily activity sheets from the kids and teen clubs! :)

• Like 1

We sailed Equinox for 10 days with our 11 and 7 year olds.....THEY ABSOLUTELY LOVED the kids club on Celebrity!!  They still talk about it 2 years later!   I'm sure it will be comparable on Edge!  

1 hour ago, Pier290 said:

We sailed Equinox for 10 days with our 11 and 7 year olds.....THEY ABSOLUTELY LOVED the kids club on Celebrity!!  They still talk about it 2 years later!   I'm sure it will be comparable on Edge!  

Thats great!   I really hope the Edge has some daily family  activities and an engaging kids club with fantastic staff

Just now, rachelmle1 said:

Thats great!   I really hope the Edge has some daily family  activities and an engaging kids club with fantastic staff

We couldn't get them out of the kids club!! They loved the unique activities and small groups!! Lots of attention!!!!  The staff treated our children like gold....they were so sweet, kind and creative!!!   We took an MSC Cruise a year after the Celebrity one and our kids preferred the Celebrity kids club BY FAR to the MSC one.  Awesome memories for them!!  Enjoy!

We peeked in on our ship's tour of EDGE..

It looked like an active, happy place, although  no windows and a remote location.

The X website has ( had) an article on the innovative kids  programming for EDGE  It  looked excellent..esp for children same age as yours..Hopefully, it is being well executed,

There are also fun activities in the CLUB they might like,...

Have a Great Cruise!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We peeked in on our ship's tour of EDGE..

It looked like an active, happy place, although  no windows and a remote location.

The X website has ( had) an article on the innovative kids  programming for EDGE  It  looked excellent..esp for children same age as yours..Hopefully, it is being well executed,

There are also fun activities in the CLUB they might like,...

Have a Great Cruise!

What kind of activities in The Club are you referring to?

We haven't seen any reviews of Edge with Kids so far either...  

We're sailing Edge with our 5 year old at the end of the month (also with our 70ish parents).  We'll post our experience.  We did the Reflection 2 Spring Breaks ago when our DD was 3 and she loved it (noting 3 is very different from 7 & 9).  She's actually liked X's kid's club more than Disney as there was more structure events than the free play concept on Disney.  That said, being an only child sailing without any friends may impacted the Disney experience.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, washdcguy said:

We haven't seen any reviews of Edge with Kids so far either...  

We're sailing Edge with our 5 year old at the end of the month (also with our 70ish parents).  We'll post our experience.  We did the Reflection 2 Spring Breaks ago when our DD was 3 and she loved it (noting 3 is very different from 7 & 9).  She's actually liked X's kid's club more than Disney as there was more structure events than the free play concept on Disney.  That said, being an only child sailing without any friends may impacted the Disney experience.  

We are also doing a multi-generational sailing.  My husband and I are both 40, kids are 7 & 9, and my in laws are in their early 70’s.  I have a feeling the Xmas sailing will have quite a number of families in the same boat as us

24 minutes ago, rachelmle1 said:

We are also doing a multi-generational sailing.  My husband and I are both 40, kids are 7 & 9, and my in laws are in their early 70’s.  I have a feeling the Xmas sailing will have quite a number of families in the same boat as us

From previous experience, there are usually far more kids on the holiday sailings and I would expect even more this year on Edge with the ‘kids go free’ promotion (presuming it’s not exempt from the offer 🤔).

5 hours ago, villauk said:

From previous experience, there are usually far more kids on the holiday sailings and I would expect even more this year on Edge with the ‘kids go free’ promotion (presuming it’s not exempt from the offer 🤔).

I’m  SO GLAD you mentioned this promo! I didn’t know about the Kids Sail Free promo, called my TA, and just got around $300 knocked off our cruise fare!  I love it when that happens 🙂 Thx again for mentioning it!!

• Thanks 1

Just got off the Edge a week ago with my 7 and 8 year old sons.  They are very experienced Celebrity cruisers - this was #9 for both of them - so they are very familiar with the Fun Factory.

My 7 YO is VERY social and he absolutely loves the Fun Factory.  He wants to go every evening are rarely wants to be picked up early. My 8 YO is less social and not as big a fan.  He generally comes to the shows with us.  The one exception is Pirate Night - which they both look forward to all cruise (face paint and all).  They both had fun at Pirate Night on the Edge - but said it wasn't as good as previous cruises.  They usually have a scavenger hunt around the ship (after getting decked out as pirates) - but said this time they stayed in the FF the whole time.  Same with the family camp out - on a previous S class sailing - they had a camp out on the lawn (just a couple hours early evening - not overnight :-)) complete with smores and hot chocolate.  On the Edge, they just had some tents set up in the FF.  Other than that - it was fairly typical of other cruises.  There are fewer kids and it is more highly structured than on other lines.

Aside from the Fun Factory - the boys participated in some of the non kid specific activities in the club.  They joined the grown ups for the Laser Maze and Archery.  In fact they told my son (and made an announcement) he was the youngest person to ever hit a target in Archery - he was so proud.

They also have non structured activities in Eden.  Coloring, wooden puzzles, etc.  It's no RC, but there are lots of things to do if you want.  We also like to spend time in the cabin watching movies.  I know that will offend some who say we should be out and about on the ship - but we're on vacation and like to do what we like.....

The Edge was beautiful - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rachelmle1 said:

I’m  SO GLAD you mentioned this promo! I didn’t know about the Kids Sail Free promo, called my TA, and just got around $300 knocked off our cruise fare!  I love it when that happens 🙂 Thx again for mentioning it!!

Glad to hear that it was helpful 👍. Our kids have been on every one of our cruises and are now in their late teens. It will be strange when they don’t want to sail with us anymore. Have a fabulous family holiday cruise 😉.

• Like 1

Interesting to read this.  We are doing the first cruise with our little one (9 months) in September.  We know there will be nothing specific for him to do (well no more than at home!) and no babysitting but will make the most of it. 

We leave on Sunday on the Edge with our 10 and 12 year olds.  We booked a long time ago and were disappointed that the final reveal didn't include a basketball court or any area for them to burn off some energy.  I'm hoping because it is Spring Break they will have a little more activities than what OP described. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2019 at 10:06 PM, coloradosmom said:

We leave on Sunday on the Edge with our 10 and 12 year olds.  We booked a long time ago and were disappointed that the final reveal didn't include a basketball court or any area for them to burn off some energy.  I'm hoping because it is Spring Break they will have a little more activities than what OP described. 

Coloradosmom - do you have any update?  how was the Edge?