Princess transfer LHR to Southampton port

rocklinmom

9 minutes ago, John Bull said:

LHT28 -

Tipping the driver isn't inappropriate, nor is it expected as of right. Pay is decent & pays for the bread and butter, tips are the jam on top if deserved.

We normally tip £5 for that sort of journey. If you can practice an English accent the driver will be very happy with the same :classic_wink:

I suggest anywhere from zilch to £10, depending on the service.

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks JB

How do the Brits feel about Jerseymen ??

Maybe will get DH  to mention his family connection LOL

FIL played  for Southampton way back in the '30s

Lyn

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks JB

How do the Brits feel about Jerseymen ??

Maybe will get DH  to mention his family connection LOL

FIL played  for Southampton way back in the '30s

Lyn

Hi Lyn. 

Most Jerseymen are regular folk, mainly engaged in farming and tourism.

But Jersey is also a tax-haven for the rich. So mentioning a family connection might back-fire, with your driver salivating about the prospects of a huge tip :classic_biggrin:

Souhampton seems to be a magnet for footballers from the Channel Islands, including Graeme Le Saux and Engand legend Matt Le Tissier.

The team's not doing too well this season - has FIL still got his boots? :classic_biggrin:

For some none-too-up-to-date views of Jersey check on YouTube for episodes of "Bergerac", a TV detective series

JB :classic_smile:

ps tomorrow we're off to Aus & New Zealand so won't be contributing much for the next month or more

42 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Hi Lyn. 

Most Jerseymen are regular folk, mainly engaged in farming and tourism.

But Jersey is also a tax-haven for the rich. So mentioning a family connection might back-fire, with your driver salivating about the prospects of a huge tip :classic_biggrin:

OHH  never thought of that  ..maybe we will mention MIL  was from Lichfield or maybe not

Of course after a few days in the UK I pick up the accent anyway😉

No boots  he was just a teen  back then

Enjoy your trip & thanks again for all your advice

Lyn

On 1/18/2019 at 12:08 PM, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Thank you for your reply.

I've been reading awful reviews of the bus 

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-reviews/store/national-express

And it is really making me nervous. 74% of the 80+ reviews give them the lowest rating -- just one star. That is worrisome. I guess I'll go back to concentrating on a private car that is less than or about $120 for 4 people since the Princess transfer from Victoria Coach is $59pp.

Ignore those reviews, I've used National Express numerous times a year for the last 20 odd years, and never had a bad experience. 

Edited by newport dave
  • Like 1

We're using National Express in May from Heathrow to Southport.  Used them many times and hey, it's a bus but so what?  It was fast and convenient.  Train was too much trouble for about the same price.  Private transfers are fine (yes, we've used them) but not worth the money.  It helps to have a 'spinner' suitcase with 4 wheels instead of 2 if you need to schlep luggage.

We'll be using Princess transfer from ship back to Heathrow terminal 3 after the cruise in May due to a noon flight.

I hope you mean Southampton not Southport as this is near Liverpool not the south coast !!

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We're using National Express in May from Heathrow to Southport.  Used them many times and hey, it's a bus but so what?  It was fast and convenient.  Train was too much trouble for about the same price.  Private transfers are fine (yes, we've used them) but not worth the money.  It helps to have a 'spinner' suitcase with 4 wheels instead of 2 if you need to schlep luggage.

We'll be using Princess transfer from ship back to Heathrow terminal 3 after the cruise in May due to a noon flight.

13 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

I hope you mean Southampton not Southport as this is near Liverpool not the south coast !!

Southport?  Where did I come up with Southport?  I guess I was thinking of the time Michael Ball was appearing in Southport but yes, I meant Southampton (although he's appearing there as well on his 2019 tour).  I got the 'South' part right.....:classic_blush:

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread as our cruise date is now two weeks away.  Wondering if anyone has just used the Princess transfer from Heathrow to the Southampton port, and if so, can you please update as to how it is working this year?  I am still hoping to find a Princess rep in T5 on embarkation day and catch the transfer there instead of going over to T3.  Our cruise documents show pickup point as T3, but there are always same-day arriving passengers who would need to be picked up at T5 (British Airways terminal).  Any current info appreciated! 

1 hour ago, rocklinmom said:

Reviving this thread as our cruise date is now two weeks away.  Wondering if anyone has just used the Princess transfer from Heathrow to the Southampton port, and if so, can you please update as to how it is working this year?  I am still hoping to find a Princess rep in T5 on embarkation day and catch the transfer there instead of going over to T3.  Our cruise documents show pickup point as T3, but there are always same-day arriving passengers who would need to be picked up at T5 (British Airways terminal).  Any current info appreciated! 

Just wondering whether you've called Princess to ask them about this, as some folks suggested to you when you started this thread.

Enjoy your cruise!

4 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Yes I called Princess yesterday and they had no idea.  For fun, I called back later and the second rep had no idea either. 

Well, at least they were consistent, which is not always the case when calling a cruise line!   🤣 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Home from this cruise now and thought I would update on the Princess transfer from Heathrow to Southampton. So on embarkation morning (6/18/19) we wound up booking a taxi over to T3 via the Sofitel hotel concierge. I think it cost 20GBP and for five of us (requiring a larger minivan taxi) that was fine with me. I did this because in order to get from T5 to T3 via the free Heathrow express train (subway) we would have had quite a long walk to catch the express train, then a 15 minute ride over to T3, then another long walk to find the Princess rep in the T3 Arrivals area. This had been explained to me by the concierge and was later verified by a fellow passenger who did it that morning. The taxi dropped us off at T3 arrivals and I easily found the Princess rep, who checked our names off her list and we only waited about 10 minutes before being loaded onto the first bus to Southampton. Meeting time was 9:30am (as designated on my Cruise Personalizer). We did make a stop at T5 on the way out (which was deja vu for us) and picked up a few passengers, but at that point there were only a few empty seats scattered throughout the bus, so if I had stayed at T5 and boarded there with them somehow it would have been tough getting on with five people. So all in all it worked out. We got to Southampton in only an hour which was great. 

• Like 1

We are using Smith's in August from LHR to Southampton. Its £75 & £8 for parking. With tip it will be about the same as the Princess transfer but I like the idea that once we are in the car off we go! And they will drop us off at our hotel in Southampton.