“One and done” NCL ships

my3sonsnj

Curious to know which ships cruise critic members have cruised on and that one time was more than enough?

I have only sailed on NCL’s  Breakaway and Escape. I loved the Breakaway (5 cruises) but our most recent cruise on the Escape was a one and done for me. 

I am booked on the Bliss next year and hoping I like the feel of that ship better than the Escape. 

The Escape and Bliss are my two favorite NCL ships currently. Not a big fan of Breakaway and Getaway due to the tiny balconies, but I'll still sail them if that's all that's available for my date and desired itinerary.

16 minutes ago, cksv said:

The Escape and Bliss are my two favorite NCL ships currently. Not a big fan of Breakaway and Getaway due to the tiny balconies, but I'll still sail them if that's all that's available for my date and desired itinerary.

You can get bigger balconies on the Breakaway or Getaway by choosing the right room. I always go the large balcony or mini suite with large balcony rooms. Often they are not much difference in price from the standard rooms.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

You can get bigger balconies on the Breakaway or Getaway by choosing the right room. I always go the large balcony or mini suite with large balcony rooms. Often they are not much difference in price from the standard rooms.

You can but I value privacy and with those cabins everyone above you looks directly down onto your balcony.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, my3sonsnj said:

Curious to know which ships cruise critic members have cruised on and that one time was more than enough?

I have only sailed on NCL’s  Breakaway and Escape. I loved the Breakaway (5 cruises) but our most recent cruise on the Escape was a one and done for me. 

I am booked on the Bliss next year and hoping I like the feel of that ship better than the Escape. 

I agree, did not like the escape. I’ll take the breakaway over escape anyday. Escape felt way overcrowded, always a wait for elevators and thy were always full stopping on every floor. Margaritaville was also not worth the upcharge. 

Our one and done is for the entire RCCL fleet. It's the only cruise we've both ever lost weight on, simply because so much of the food was completely inedible. 

So far, except for some database glitches, we like NCL. We leave in 16 days on the Jade. It's the smallest ship we've sailed, and we are excited to try that experience! 

• Like 1

None on NCL except for the SS Norway.  As @Sauer-kraut pointed out, she exploded shortly after I sailed her.  Loved the ship, though.

That said, I haven’t sailed all the NCL ships, either.

Surprisingly, given how popular she is....probably will not sail the CCL Conquest again.  Nothing really bad, per se.  Just nothing about that cruise really caught my fancy!

NCL have all been good to great!

13 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Our one and done is for the entire RCCL fleet. It's the only cruise we've both ever lost weight on, simply because so much of the food was completely inedible. 

So far, except for some database glitches, we like NCL. We leave in 16 days on the Jade. It's the smallest ship we've sailed, and we are excited to try that experience! 

Really? Wow - I always put on so much weight on Royal Carribean. I once put on almost a stone on a two week cruise! Guess food really is subjective! 

My one and done was Carnival. Now that was a cruise line where I hardly ate anything for dinner. Their vegetarian options were non-existent in the MDR so I lived on bread rolls and chocolate lava cakes for the whole cruise. I did also try the buffet one night but everything was barely luke warm. 

• Like 1

We sailed the Escape twice before ever sailing on Breakaway. We decided we were one and done with Breakaway, since it didn't even come close to being as awesome as Escape.

However, then we changed our minds and now have Breakaway booked, simply because it's the only NCL ship sailing the Caribbean during summers, so we have no other NCL choice.

The one we were truly one and done with was Spirit. It was too small and boring for us.  Of course, we could change our minds at any time.  You just never know.

14 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Just cruised the Breakaway in December and even though I loved the aft penthouse, having two rooms, it will probably be the only time I'll cruise her.  Just too many people for my taste.

Have to agree way too many people for my taste. It would have to be a really good price, ports I'm interested in and school in session to sway me.

16 hours ago, my3sonsnj said:

Could you elaborate on why you didn't like the Escape?  We've been on the Breakaway three times and have the Escape booked for March this year.  I've always heard when they built the Escape, they improved on somethings from the Breakaway design, just tweaking things to make it better.  We absolutely loved the Breakaway and was wondering what they could possibly improve the Escape!

My first NCL sailing will be on May 2020 but I’ve sailed celebrity, carnival and RCCL. 

My one and done was RCCL majesty of the seas. Tiny room, horrible food, and unhappy staff. We got off that cruise and hopped directly on the celebrity constellation and it was night and day. 

I might be willing to try RCCL again, but only on a mega ship for the experience. Otherwise, no thank you.