HAL Flight Ease

pmjnh

I did JUST THAT.  Used a TA for the original reservation on ship, but I wanted to have the flexibility to choose my own flights without going through the TA for each question / choice / seat / etc.  So I made the Flight Ease reservations myself.   I knew I'd made the reservation, but it was incredibly hard to find on the website.  However, it showed up on my TA's information, and she forwarded it to us immediately.  So, do your own, but let your TA know you've done it and need him/her to send you the printed confirmations.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

If I booked the cruise through via a TA and not directly from HAL, can I book flight ease with HAL or do I have to have my TA book it through HAL?

Thanks

There is no problem booking your Flightease air through HAL.  Once you go to your reservation on the HAL site, you can go to the travel planning site. Just remember that you won't pay for it until you pay the cruise off.  In addition, unlike airline sites that allow you to book your flights around 330 days out from your return port, Flight ease usually won't let you book until around 300 days.  

Edited by DWAliaschief

10 hours ago, feathersandnananose said:

I did JUST THAT.  Used a TA for the original reservation on ship, but I wanted to have the flexibility to choose my own flights without going through the TA for each question / choice / seat / etc.  So I made the Flight Ease reservations myself.   I knew I'd made the reservation, but it was incredibly hard to find on the website.  However, it showed up on my TA's information, and she forwarded it to us immediately.  So, do your own, but let your TA know you've done it and need him/her to send you the printed confirmations.  

This is exactly what we did for our Alaska cruise next July. Flight Ease saved us almost $400 per person over what I could find on my own. We are going from Dallas to Vancouver and back from Fairbanks to Dallas on American and Alaska Airlines. We got the flights, times and seats we wanted for all three of us on the cruise.

• Like 1

Thats what I do. My reservation is with my TA, but I book my own flights via FlightEase. My TA gets the updates from HAL, if and when I tweak the flights, as I check every couple of weeks to see if the prices have gotten cheaper. 

I've chopped almost $500pp off the initial prices (Business Class) since I booked the flights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boards said:

Our PCC has arranged our flights for us, but can we now change flights ourselves or select our seats?

You should be able to do any changes via FlightEase under your booking on the HAL Site. Although I find it easier to change seats directly on the airlines website. You'll need the airline PNR from you HAL booking to access the reservation on their website. Note this is different than the HAL PNR you see. But you can find it on  flight details on your full itinerary you get from the TA/PCC. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TN Fem said:

If using flight ease can you book flights on points or points + cash.  I would like to at least upgrade our seats to business for our next cruise (westerdam hong kong to singapore)

No.   Flight Ease can book flights but you must pay for them through HAL either immediately when booked or when you make your final cruise payment, usually 75 days out.   They will not use points, not can you upgrade a HAL booked flight with points.   Your flight will earn mileage points with your airline as long as it is in the same group of airlines. 

• Like 2

I understand that you can not book, or upgrade, thru HAL - flight ease using points/miles.

I have heard that it varies by airline whether you can, for example, book Main Cabin thru HAL,  but then, once you have your booking, contact the Airline to upgrade your seats from Coach/Main Cabin,  to the Comfort category.

This is what I am interested in doing on DELTA.

Have heard United will do this.  But, not sure with Delta...  Have heard some 'NO, can't upgrade seats previously booked thru this type of third party'.

Has anybody here successfully upgraded their HAL booking by contacting DELTA?

We would do this either paying cash, or possibly with SkyMiles.

Edited by Wishing on a star

49 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I understand that you can not book, or upgrade, thru HAL - flight ease using points/miles.

I have heard that it varies by airline whether you can, for example, book Main Cabin thru HAL,  but then, once you have your booking, contact the Airline to upgrade your seats from Coach/Main Cabin,  to the Comfort category.

This is what I am interested in doing on DELTA.

Have heard United will do this.  But, not sure with Delta...  Have heard some 'NO, can't upgrade seats previously booked thru this type of third party'.

Has anybody here successfully upgraded their HAL booking by contacting DELTA?

We would do this either paying cash, or possibly with SkyMiles.

Delta would not allow me to do this last summer.  They said HAL was the travel agent of record and any changes had to be done through them.   The summer before, United and American allowed me to upgrade to Comfort Economy or whatever they were calling it although the tickets were through HAL.  

I decided to check Flight Ease for the first time for our cruise in November.  The price roundtrip is about $500 less on Flight Ease!  So I booked, and am glad I saw this Thread, for I will let my TA know.  

But, I see that the flights and pricing can change prior to final payment.  Can anyone tell me their experiences with this?

On 1/17/2019 at 6:42 PM, Wishing on a star said:

When we booked our flight through Flight Ease with our TA, she asked what category we wanted - economy, premium economy, or business.  We selected the category and routing we wanted, and she and HAL did the rest.  When we received our confirmation, we then went on the airline site and confirmed our seats.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Once HAL books your flights,  the price stays the same unless you decide to change it.   But that is the beauty of Flight Ease.   You book your cruise and the flights but you don't have to pay for both until final payment date, 75 days out.  Yes, if you decide to change your flight, you take a chance that the price will change.   But if you booked with the airline yourself, you would have to pay immediately.  If for some unforeseen reason you have to cancel, you are stuck with useless airline tickets. 

If you book thru Flight Ease, the price CAN change.  Per HAL's FAQ, "Prices and availability are not guaranteed until the cruise and air booking are paid in full."

In addition, under Flexible Fares, "Prices are subject to increase prior to the time you make full payment for your air-inclusive cruise or Land+Sea Journey."

4 hours ago, HUNKY said:

If you book thru Flight Ease, the price CAN change.  Per HAL's FAQ, "Prices and availability are not guaranteed until the cruise and air booking are paid in full."

In addition, under Flexible Fares, "Prices are subject to increase prior to the time you make full payment for your air-inclusive cruise or Land+Sea Journey."

Thank you for this, I would have been terribly disappointed in case prices went up and I had not realized.  I checked it out on HAL, and have shared with my TA, since they thought the prices would stay the same till payment.  We will watch, and have a back-up plan to drive to PE, and enjoy the trip and save some $$$

Cruise Critic is such a wonderful tool, so very helpful and sometimes delightful.  Thank you again.

• 4 months later...

Well, I have given up on flight ease for this one.

I don't even know if the deal is good enough to bother with but the bottom line is that the website doesn't work.

I don't have the patience to be on hold with HAL for more than 20 minutes.

I thought that the flight ease number was different than the regular HAL number and it was but I got the same "stuff".

I like to look, examine and decide which the site DID give me.  <sigh>

Hopefully I found an alternatie which will be better than Flight Ease.  I guess time will tell - HAL's website certainly won't.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:14 AM, HUNKY said:

just happened to us.  Our Nov cruise flights just went up by $100 pp. Damn!

59 minutes ago, woody14h said:

just happened to us.  Our Nov cruise flights just went up by $100 pp. Damn!

How did you find out the price went up?  Did Hal (or PCC) inform you?

13 hours ago, kazu said:

Well, I have given up on flight ease for this one.

I don't even know if the deal is good enough to bother with but the bottom line is that the website doesn't work.

I don't have the patience to be on hold with HAL for more than 20 minutes.

I thought that the flight ease number was different than the regular HAL number and it was but I got the same "stuff".

I like to look, examine and decide which the site DID give me.  <sigh>

Hopefully I found an alternatie which will be better than Flight Ease.  I guess time will tell - HAL's website certainly won't.

If you're stuck on the phone for a long time, hang up and call your travel agent and have them get the information for you.  That's what we do!  Alternatively, you could find a similar cruise on Princess, do a dummy booking and look at their flights; they're very close to the same thing as HAL's.

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

1 hour ago, boards said:

How did you find out the price went up?  Did Hal (or PCC) inform you?

I don't remember HAL ever informing us of anything.  I found out by going to the flight-ease website and checking the airfare we booked.  Our payment isn't due until Aug. so we don't like to be blindsided. That way I can rebook if we find a better flight.

1 minute ago, woody14h said:

I don't remember HAL ever informing us of anything.  I found out by going to the flight-ease website and checking the airfare we booked.  Our payment isn't due until Aug. so we don't like to be blindsided. That way I can rebook if we find a better flight.

Question:  

When I go to "Manage Flights", Flight Ease shows my flights and the cost of my Fare Total.  If I actually choose Change Flights, I can see all the available flights.  These flights may have different prices than the ones at "Manage Flights".  Which airfares are you talking about?

My TA says she's only seen fare prices change when the bookings are changed.  She's a multi-million dollar booker.

BTW, I just rebooked my flights.  Fare went from $3300 to $2300.