Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sarah_13

Celebrity internet packages

Recommended Posts

I have been on 6 Celebrity cruises and this is the first I have heard of a $99 unlimited “surf” package.  Can anyone else confirm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, healthworker said:

I was on equinox. Got the kids the unlimited package. What is not advertised on cruise planner, or anywhere basically, is that once you are on the ship you can buy an unlimited "surf" package (no streaming) for only $99 one device. From what I understand can still have texting,email, surf the internet for $99. Not sure if there is a loyalty discount or not. I complained about this "hidden" ad on my survey. 

 

I think they want people to purchase the more expensive package. I think this cheaper one is good enough for most of us,unless watching movies!

Oh really!!! They keep that quiet! That would be all I need, just access to use Facebook messenger to keep in contact with family at home! I’d be much happier to pay that price. 

I was originally going to purchase everything pre cruise but from what I’ve gathered from this post, I think I’ll just wait until we’re on the ship to purchase! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes ,definitely wait!! it is the same thing as the "surf" package on RC, as opposed to surf and stream. On RC you can buy it before, on celebrity you can't.  I hope they will change this at some point, they are making millions with people buying the higher package who don't need it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's new news to me as well.....I'd like to see someone else corroborate that offering on a Celebrity ship though.....I have my doubts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In over 30 cruises I have never seen a "Surf" package offered.   Please give us some evidence of this on Celebrity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These were the prices and discounts offered in November.  Price is on total number of days. 

 

50C89B09-8E2A-45AF-871C-05C756B86B4F.thumb.jpeg.3133482e19c1dd26ffa2f12c0122294d.jpeg

 

This this was the prices in Sept looks like went up $1 per day. 

822CABF8-F68F-4F50-AD8E-A88F2C297364.jpeg

 

 

Edited by Jim_Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a 7 night upcoming cruise in May, it is $224 after 10% pre-cruise discount right now for 1 device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

For a 7 night upcoming cruise in May, it is $224 after 10% pre-cruise discount right now for 1 device.

You might do better if you are a Captain's Club Member with Select  or above. To purchase in advance you have to call to get the discount.   On the ship the discount is automatically applied. 

  

Classic - 10% Discount

Select -   25%

Elite   -    30%

Elite+ -   35%

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

These were the prices and discounts offered in November.  Price is on total number of days. 

 

50C89B09-8E2A-45AF-871C-05C756B86B4F.thumb.jpeg.3133482e19c1dd26ffa2f12c0122294d.jpeg

 

This this was the prices in Sept looks like went up $1 per day. 

822CABF8-F68F-4F50-AD8E-A88F2C297364.jpeg

 

 

This probably sounds dumb but I’ll ask anyway! With the per day prices, does this mean that I could purchase on an at sea day and then not purchase another day pass until the next sea day? Is that correct? 

In other words when you purchase do they automatically take this amount per day for the entire cruise? Or does it expire after the day? Unless you order again? 

Thanks so much! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sarah_13 said:

This probably sounds dumb but I’ll ask anyway! With the per day prices, does this mean that I could purchase on an at sea day and then not purchase another day pass until the next sea day? Is that correct? 

In other words when you purchase do they automatically take this amount per day for the entire cruise? Or does it expire after the day? Unless you order again? 

Thanks so much! 

You are correct.   The daily 24 hour rate is on for the particular day you select.   You will only be charged for each 24 hours  you select for the $55.    If you have multiple sea days in a row you might select joining at 2PM on the first day and it will remain active until 2PM the next day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that may have missed other posts....Celebrity (intentionally?) sells these packages as per device.  That's not the way it works.  You are buying a userid and password and those can be used on as many devices as you have with you however you can only use it on one device at a time.    Repeat...if you have a phone and an ipad and you want to use both during the cruise, you only need a package for what celebrity calls "1 device" as long as you only use that userid/pw on one device at a time.

 

Very misleading brochure/flyer and description....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be taking our first Celebrity Cruise have done Princess and RCL many times.  This internet thing has me confused.  We got a 10% off offer in an email for internet - but it was only for unlimited packages for the whole cruise.  We are new so have no Captain's Club status, except preview.  We do need some internet but not a lot, say about 2 hours the entire cruise as we will be in ports like Key West and then 2 Mexican ports and we have T-Mobile.  So..what is the advice??  Wait until we get on the ship and just buy a one day on a sea day?  I do wish they sold packages by the minute as Princess does, that has worked out really well for us in the past.  We will not be streaming movies etc.. just checking emails and messages and responding to those.  Thanks in advance to all of you experienced Celebrity folks for any advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MTdreaming said:

We will be taking our first Celebrity Cruise have done Princess and RCL many times.  This internet thing has me confused.  We got a 10% off offer in an email for internet - but it was only for unlimited packages for the whole cruise.  We are new so have no Captain's Club status, except preview.  We do need some internet but not a lot, say about 2 hours the entire cruise as we will be in ports like Key West and then 2 Mexican ports and we have T-Mobile.  So..what is the advice??  Wait until we get on the ship and just buy a one day on a sea day?  I do wish they sold packages by the minute as Princess does, that has worked out really well for us in the past.  We will not be streaming movies etc.. just checking emails and messages and responding to those.  Thanks in advance to all of you experienced Celebrity folks for any advice!

 

If you look at post 31 on this thread there is a copy of what is offered on my last cruise.   They have a daily rate of $55 for 24 hours and a hourly rate of $27.99 per hour.  

 

Edge is now offering a Surf Plan for about 1/2 the price of the Xcelerate Plan not sure if they are rolling it out fleet wise but it is for light web browsing, texting and basic e-mail only.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much,  we will be on the Equinox and will wait and see what we they have for a sea day.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MTdreaming said:

Thanks so much,  we will be on the Equinox and will wait and see what we they have for a sea day.  

 

They also usually offer a 50% off sale at the half way point of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes. It is per id. So you can several devices using each address. But when you log in each time it will knock off whoever is was on on that address. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 12:18 PM, MTdreaming said:

We got a 10% off offer in an email for internet - but it was only for unlimited packages

 

I got that same email and called to order but I wanted the 4 device package to share with my family (I have a granddaughter who is a junior in college and will need to keep up on some of her school work). The agent I spoke with said the 10% would only apply to a 1 device package. I then asked the agent why the email read "packages plural" and if it was only for one device should have read "package" and she told me that's the way it was in "her system" and there was nothing she could do. I reluctantly bought the 4 device package paying $561 and the agent said I could check when I was on the ship to maybe get it adjusted. I then told her that the 10% "sale" was for a limited time and I don't sail for several weeks. I then asked her about the 25% off because I am a Captains Club Select member but she said that too would only apply to a single device.

 

Needless to say I am not very happy with Celebrity and their agents. While I am as mentioned Select status that is because they transferred my RCCL status to Celebrity. But this being my first cruise with Celebrity it is not a very good first impression.

 

"You never get a second chance to make a good first impression"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I chose the internet perk for my wife and I. 

Does this give us streaming capability?

 

Does Amazon Prime, Netflix and Apple Music work at sea and in Caribbean ports?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, leadvocal said:

 

I got that same email and called to order but I wanted the 4 device package to share with my family (I have a granddaughter who is a junior in college and will need to keep up on some of her school work). The agent I spoke with said the 10% would only apply to a 1 device package. I then asked the agent why the email read "packages plural" and if it was only for one device should have read "package" and she told me that's the way it was in "her system" and there was nothing she could do. I reluctantly bought the 4 device package paying $561 and the agent said I could check when I was on the ship to maybe get it adjusted. I then told her that the 10% "sale" was for a limited time and I don't sail for several weeks. I then asked her about the 25% off because I am a Captains Club Select member but she said that too would only apply to a single device.

 

Needless to say I am not very happy with Celebrity and their agents. While I am as mentioned Select status that is because they transferred my RCCL status to Celebrity. But this being my first cruise with Celebrity it is not a very good first impression.

 

"You never get a second chance to make a good first impression"

If you need to have multiple simultaneous access to the internet, you should consider getting a travel router and pay for one device per room. If you have two cabins, get a 2 devices package and two travel routers. That would save you $200-300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

If you need to have multiple simultaneous access to the internet, you should consider getting a travel router and pay for one device per room. If you have two cabins, get a 2 devices package and two travel routers. That would save you $200-300.

 

I appreciate the advice but we are all in separate rooms (4) and 1 device at a time in a room is okay.

My complaint is that I am not able to take advantage of the discount offered on "internet packages" and was only available, according to the agent I spoke with, on a 1 device "package". Also the customer service provided by the agent was terrible. It was as though she didn't want to be doing what she was doing. I understand that folks have bad days but as a customer service agent she really wasn't very good. Not the fact that I wasn't given the discount, I did order the 4 device package anyway, but the way she acted through the whole call. Perhaps she was only interested in selling overpriced cruise fares on the Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they don't give the Captain's Club discount on the multiple device packages, because that second (or third or fourth) is already at a discount compared to the single device.   Although it's still ridiculously expensive anyway imo.  But this does keep people from getting a 4 device package with a 25-35% discount and splitting the cost up between multiple cabins, so I don't blame them from a business perspective.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, Jim_Iain said:

These were the prices and discounts offered in November.  Price is on total number of days. 

 

50C89B09-8E2A-45AF-871C-05C756B86B4F.thumb.jpeg.3133482e19c1dd26ffa2f12c0122294d.jpeg

 

This this was the prices in Sept looks like went up $1 per day. 

822CABF8-F68F-4F50-AD8E-A88F2C297364.jpeg

 

 

So now I am super confused.

I accessed my celebrity cruise planner and if I pre-purchased the unlimited package for two devices for the week it is $337 (select member 25% discount applied); however, judging on the photo above (based on the new prices) 17 per device x 2 devices x 8 days it is a total of $272 which is cheaper than what was offered on my celebrity planner.

I really thought it would be less to buy ahead of time but it might serve better to purchase once on board...

arrggghhhh.. am I missing something???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cruisejunkie136 said:

I accessed my celebrity cruise planner and if I pre-purchased the unlimited package for two devices for the week it is $337 (select member 25% discount applied); however, judging on the photo above (based on the new prices) 17 per device x 2 devices x 8 days it is a total of $272 which is cheaper than what was offered on my celebrity planner.

 

I purchased that same two-device package for our 7 night cruise on Equinox last week. My wife and I shared the user ID and password on our iPhones. It was also $337 with a 25% pre-cruise discount. Pricing can change at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...