Overwhelmed by NYC!! Please help

potterduck

A 3 part question.....

1- We’re flying in to JFK in September on a Monday and cruise out of Bayonne on the Thursday. Looking for advice on hotel location and transport. 

From what I’ve seen so far hotels in Manhattan are extortionate (from £1000 for the 3 nights), but is it worth paying the price to get the benefits of being centrally located?

2- We then need to get to Bayonne in the Thursday morning.....Uber? Never used it but my children tell me to download an app, do I need to register beforehand ?

3- after the cruise we’re taking a weeklong road trip up to New England. I wrongly assumed I would be able to pick a rental car up at the port. Would catching a train north and then renting be advantageous or taking an Uber to the closest car hire?

If you want to tour NYC, then you probably want to be centrally located, though it isn't unheard of to stay in New Jersey and commute.

Where are you going in New England as your first stop? Even more important, where are you flying home from? That would probably best determine your rental car needs.

37 minutes ago, potterduck said:

A 3 part question.....

1- We’re flying in to JFK in September on a Monday and cruise out of Bayonne on the Thursday. Looking for advice on hotel location and transport. 

From what I’ve seen so far hotels in Manhattan are extortionate (from £1000 for the 3 nights), but is it worth paying the price to get the benefits of being centrally located?

2- We then need to get to Bayonne in the Thursday morning.....Uber? Never used it but my children tell me to download an app, do I need to register beforehand ?

3- after the cruise we’re taking a weeklong road trip up to New England. I wrongly assumed I would be able to pick a rental car up at the port. Would catching a train north and then renting be advantageous or taking an Uber to the closest car hire?

1). Your week is the opening of the UN General Assembly. It’s the most expensive time of the year.  Only you can determine how much you’re willing to pay to be in the heart of NYC.  Since you’re sailing on Anthem, Jersey City near the Newport or Exchange place Path Station would be an option. Give us a realistic budget and we’ll look around.

2). Look at a large metro area car service from NY to NJ - Dial7 or Carmellimo.

3). The big car rental operations are at Newark Airport.  Uber to the airport area is fine.  If you’re going to New England you will need an Ez pass for tolls.  Directions to get through the NY metro area can also be provided.

16 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If you want to tour NYC, then you probably want to be centrally located, though it isn't unheard of to stay in New Jersey and commute.

Where are you going in New England as your first stop? Even more important, where are you flying home from? That would probably best determine your rental car needs.

We have no determined itinerary yet for New England, at the moment I'm thinking up through Jaffrey/Peterborough, alstead, Quechee, Rochester, Stowe then newport, coming back down through the white mountains.

Would a flight up to Manchester be worthwhile or would driving up be more pleasant?

We fly back from JFK as we can do a direct flight from there

16 minutes ago, 138east said:

1). Your week is the opening of the UN General Assembly. It’s the most expensive time of the year.  Only you can determine how much you’re willing to pay to be in the heart of NYC.  Since you’re sailing on Anthem, Jersey City near the Newport or Exchange place Path Station would be an option. Give us a realistic budget and we’ll look around.

2). Look at a large metro area car service from NY to NJ - Dial7 or Carmellimo.

3). The big car rental operations are at Newark Airport.  Uber to the airport area is fine.  If you’re going to New England you will need an Ez pass for tolls.  Directions to get through the NY metro area can also be provided.

I don't think i have budget as such, it was just more expensive than i was expecting!I

I don't want to pay less and then find out I'll have to commute for hours to get anywhere central.  Previously when we're in the USA we've used Sheraton, holiday garden inn, best western.  I do realise that New York rooms will be a lot smaller.

Friends have stayed in the new Yorker, Gregory and Ink48(I think it was!) They said location is vital.

If we Uber to Newark i m hoping we could make good headway north on t he same day?

Driving from Newark north is rarely pleasant because of traffic, rush hour is pretty bad. No matter where you stay in the city, you will need to travel a bit to see some main attractions, it’s 4 miles from Times Square to the World Trade Center (google maps says it’s a 30 minute drive right now, and it’s not even rush hour, subways are your friend).Choose a hotel near a subway stop.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, potterduck said:

That rate really isn't that extraordinary for NYC, and yes IMO it's worth it to be centrally located for several days of sightseeing.  Choose a hotel near a subway stop because as someone else said, the subway is your friend.  It's by far the fastest way to cover a lot of ground quickly, such as getting from midtown to the WTC area downtown, or vice versa, and it's also cheap.

As for Uber, it's a great way to go from hotel to port, or from port to airport to get a car rental.  Yes, you need to download the app and register a credit card to it before you can use it.  BUT, and this is super important, please do not plan to use Uber for the very first time while you are on vacation in an unfamiliar area!  It's not hard to use, but like anything new, it takes a little time to get used to it.  Have your kids explain to you in detail how it works, and then do a few test runs around town so you can get familiar with it.   Ex. go out to dinner and take Uber there and again back home.  You'll be safer if you drink at dinner, and it will give you some pretty inexpensive experience with the app while you are in familiar territory!   Do it again a time or to before going on vacation so you really feel comfortable with it.  If your kids live nearby, or if they visit you or you visit them, that would be even better, because they can show you and explain all the little details right there on your phone screen, explain what everything means, show you how to track your driver, how to communicate with your driver, etc.

Location is vital you are correct. Definite no to Air BnB. Book a refundable room now. This way if some sort of sale pops up you can cancel and get the deal. Where exactly do you want to visit? I’m a big fan of the Financial District properties for deals. Also, have you tried a matrix such as Kayak.com to search out deals? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you booked your air travel already?  If not I would suggest touring NYC after the cruise, then take the Metro-North train up to New Haven (terminus) and rent a car there.   You will be steps away from I-95, and a straight shot up to Vermont and New Hampshire.

I live near NYC and I always finding when touring the city, that staying in Manhattan is very rewarding.  It is worth the cost.

Metro-North has two other lines as well, that run from NYC.  The Harlem and Hudson lines.

I am curious about your New England itinerary and why you chose those towns?  

What about Airbnb?  Have you checked the prices there?  

And with Uber ... yes, you download the app on your smartphone but you also MUST register a credit card with them.  You do NOT have the option of paying IN the car.  It is all paid through your account and the registered credit card. 

13 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

And with Uber ... yes, you download the app on your smartphone but you also MUST register a credit card with them.  You do NOT have the option of paying IN the car.  It is all paid through your account and the registered credit card. 

Airbnb is illegal in NYC and not recommended.

If you cross a bridge or get on the Mass Tpke without an EZPass, your rental will be billed through Toll-by-plate.  You will be charged a handling fee by your rental company - be sure to ask what those charges will be and decide if acceptable.

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Airbnb is illegal in NYC and not recommended.

IF the apartment resident STAYS IN the apartment with the Airbnb renters ... it is NOT illegal.  

New York City is Airbnb's largest domestic market, with more than 50,000 apartment rental listings. But under state law, it is illegal in most buildings for an apartment to be rented out for less than 30 days unless the permanent tenant is residing in the apartment at the same time.Jan 3, 2019

On 4/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, CruiseGal999 said:

IF the apartment resident STAYS IN the apartment with the Airbnb renters ... it is NOT illegal.  

New York City is Airbnb's largest domestic market, with more than 50,000 apartment rental listings. But under state law, it is illegal in most buildings for an apartment to be rented out for less than 30 days unless the permanent tenant is residing in the apartment at the same time.Jan 3, 2019

And even if the tenant is there, there is a good chance subletting to airbnb or similar customers violates building rules

On 1/16/2019 at 8:20 PM, 1025cruise said:

I would do a train (www.amtrak.com) from Newark to New England. Rent a car, then, do your drive, then return the car and take the train back to New York.

Seconded: Amtrak from Newark to New Haven - pick up rental car at station, then drive north through central Connecticut having avoided I-95 (the road to Hell). Returning, you could either drop car at New Haven and Amtrak to New York PennStation then Uber or taxi to JFK - or drive straight to JFK and drop car there.