Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
MsSoCalCruiser

Non-Dairy Baked Goods

Recommended Posts

 Due to severe allergies, I have been corresponding with dietary services at Princess. In one of the emails they told me that non-dairy baked goods are available upon request. Do you know what that includes?  I'm hoping for things like brownies and chocolate cake. Normally, everyone has dessert and I sit there and watch and want...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would ask Princess, probably no a common request... or simply ask if they can make what you want. My husband does not eat dairy and meat items, he prefers fish without sauces... he asks for what he wants and they respond very well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother can’t have gluten or dairy and we have been well accommodated on many Princess cruises. Normally, once the head waiter has been apprised of the situation, she receives a different dessert every night that is both gluten and dairy free. I would assume that’s probably what you would also get as a non-dairy baked good. She gets no say in what she’s given but there have been many options, ranging from a sort of strawberry shortcake to a dairy free Creme brûlée to a blueberry cake and many others. I can’t recall off the top of my head many chocolate items but I may just not be remembering well. She has definitely been very happy with all the desserts she’s gotten and is happy to not just have to stare at everyone else eating dessert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the sorbet that Princess makes daily. No dairy in it.  Only in the MDR at dinner.

Edited by cheeseclan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son has food allergies to all diary and nuts.  When we sailed on the Regal Princess in March 2016, the Pastry Chef made him a special desert every night. One night they made him a chocolate cake.  We have sailed on Royal Carrribean twice and Disney once since sailing on 5he Regal and Princess has by far made him the best deserts and treated him to the best deserts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, thertz said:

My mother can’t have gluten or dairy and we have been well accommodated on many Princess cruises. Normally, once the head waiter has been apprised of the situation, she receives a different dessert every night that is both gluten and dairy free. I would assume that’s probably what you would also get as a non-dairy baked good. She gets no say in what she’s given but there have been many options, ranging from a sort of strawberry shortcake to a dairy free Creme brûlée to a blueberry cake and many others. I can’t recall off the top of my head many chocolate items but I may just not be remembering well. She has definitely been very happy with all the desserts she’s gotten and is happy to not just have to stare at everyone else eating dessert. 

 This is wonderful news. I had no idea that they would do that.  This is my 12th cruise with princess and no one has ever told me that they would do this. I will talk to someone when I board the ship. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

I like the sorbet that Princess makes daily. No dairy in it.  Only in the MDR at dinner.

 

 

How do you bake Sorbet????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, firefightermediclasvegas said:

My son has food allergies to all diary and nuts.  When we sailed on the Regal Princess in March 2016, the Pastry Chef made him a special desert every night. One night they made him a chocolate cake.  We have sailed on Royal Carrribean twice and Disney once since sailing on 5he Regal and Princess has by far made him the best deserts and treated him to the best deserts.

 It's hard enough to be allergic to dairy but nuts too 😢

That's so nice that the pastry chef did that for your child. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt me to miss a few desserts but it would be nice to not have to sit there and watch everyone else. I do order sorbet when on Princess but after approximately 25 cruises on various lines, I would like to have something different if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

 

 

How do you bake Sorbet????????????

 

 

Just mentioning in case they can’t get non dairy baked item!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

 This is wonderful news. I had no idea that they would do that.  This is my 12th cruise with princess and no one has ever told me that they would do this. I will talk to someone when I board the ship. Thank you. 

 

It took many years of NOT having this before we were told it was possible. We are all elite members on Princess and have only known about/had this option for our last 3 cruises I would say. 

 

We always do traditional dining. So my mother will just speak to our designated head waiter when we arrive to dine on the first night (as we’ve been instructed to do). The first night usually consists of the sorbet with some fruit or something similar, as they have not yet baked things for the GF/DF set. All subsequent nights there is a baked dessert of some kind. 

 

If you do not typically have traditional dining, I would suggest going to the “Dining Questions” set-up that they usually have on embarkation day (I apologize for not being able to remember exactly how it’s usually titled in the Patter) and speaking to them regarding how to accommodate the same request in other dining settings. 

 

Hope you are able to partake in some delicious desserts! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TracieABD said:

This is a tricky one. Can you have eggs?

Yes,  thank goodness.  I am OK with eggs. I'm mainly allergic to heavy cream, whipping cream, half-and-half and condensed milk. I had a bad reaction Christmas night  to something that I'm not normally allergic to so the specialist wants me to stop all dairy. That's rough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thertz said:

 

It took many years of NOT having this before we were told it was possible. We are all elite members on Princess and have only known about/had this option for our last 3 cruises I would say. 

 

We always do traditional dining. So my mother will just speak to our designated head waiter when we arrive to dine on the first night (as we’ve been instructed to do). The first night usually consists of the sorbet with some fruit or something similar, as they have not yet baked things for the GF/DF set. All subsequent nights there is a baked dessert of some kind. 

 

If you do not typically have traditional dining, I would suggest going to the “Dining Questions” set-up that they usually have on embarkation day (I apologize for not being able to remember exactly how it’s usually titled in the Patter) and speaking to them regarding how to accommodate the same request in other dining settings. 

 

Hope you are able to partake in some delicious desserts! 

 Thank you so much. I am really looking forward to the desserts now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess requests that you contact them before the cruise and let them know about your special food requirements (gluten, dairy, nuts, etc.).  Then, on the first day on board, contact the head maitre'd and let him know that you are on board. That way they will be prepared. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, daysj04 said:

Princess requests that you contact them before the cruise and let them know about your special food requirements (gluten, dairy, nuts, etc.).  Then, on the first day on board, contact the head maitre'd and let him know that you are on board. That way they will be prepared. 

Thank you. I will make sure and contact the head  maître d' when we board... this  Saturday and I think the rain has finally stopped!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a place when you sign into your booking online, to send a Princess the information about food allergies.  They will email with the directions to follow one you are onboard others have mentioned above.  

 

Because they knew about my son’s allergies, we probably could have eaten one night somewhere else and they would have brought his special desert there.  

 

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am gluten free. Where do I tell them of this?

also, will be cruising with my 15 yr old daughter. She’s a pretty experienced traveler so will probably want to find some kids to hang out with, which would be great so I can go dancing sometimes! I’ also a Jeopardy fan so hope to find some trivia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We recently returned from the Crown.  I usually have the sorbet but it was another night of a not so great flavor, IMHO.

 

i was going to get nothing when our waiter said no worries, there are always non dairy items prepared.   He brought me a great chocolate and cherry dessert.  It tasted awesome.  One other night he brought me a non dairy and gluten free cake which was also good.

 

Just ask your head waiter and then waiter and they can get sweets for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firefightermediclasvegas said:

Thank you for the pictures.  My son likes what you got on your cruise.

You’re welcome.  Does your son also have a dairy allergy? They took such good care of me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

You’re welcome.  Does your son also have a dairy allergy? They took such good care of me! 

My son unfortunately has food allergies to all diary and all nuts.  We took him on his first cruise in March 2016 on the Regal and our head waiter and the pastry chef took very good care of him.  Princess by far has been the best for making him feel special and not left out because of his food allergies. Every night they made him a special dessert. We are hoping for the same treatment on the Royal in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, firefightermediclasvegas said:

My son unfortunately has food allergies to all diary and all nuts.  We took him on his first cruise in March 2016 on the Regal and our head waiter and the pastry chef took very good care of him.  Princess by far has been the best for making him feel special and not left out because of his food allergies. Every night they made him a special dessert. We are hoping for the same treatment on the Royal in April.

 I suffer from a rare severe allergy called FPIES.  I have adult onset which is even rarer from what I have been told. It started in my 20s but no one could figure out what was happening to me.  I was actually just diagnosed last year after I had a severe reaction on a cruise. It just happened that the allergist they sent me to knew exactly what was wrong with me when I started telling him my symptoms. Most doctors do not even know what FPIES is.  I now carry a letter from my allergist that explains exactly what is happening to me and that I do not have Noro virus and that I am not contagious.

 

I know this is a lot of information to share with a stranger but I thought I would share since you have a child with allergies and also because your name indicates that you are a medic; maybe this information will be useful to you someday.   Please tell your son that I will have more photos to share soon if he would like to see them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...