Cruise Critic Community
PumpkinPatches

NEW to MSC... a few questions!

Hi!  We are a family of 4 who just booked our 8th cruise overall but FIRST cruise on MSC.  It'll be the Preziosa in May 2020 to Northern Europe.

I noticed that passengers will be both leaving and joining the ship nearly everyday.  Does this mean we have to muster every day??

What are the complimentary dining venues onboard, and which ones do we pay extra for?  I'm having a hard time finding this info online.

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

We did a Mediterranean cruise on the Sinfonia in December. We had cruised MSC before, but out of Florida. This was our first 'European' cruise with MSC and we also had many questions about Americans (and Canadians) on our cruise. 

We had a 10 day cruise and yes, people got on and off at just about every port. We boarded in Barcelona where 300 people got on. We had our muster drill that day, but we never had to do another. They do have those drills just about everyday for the new passengers, but not for you. You just have to get used to baggage in the hallways most every night. 

As far as dining, our biggest concern was being seated with English speaking people and they accommodate you that way. It would be hard to converse when people don't speak your language.  The menu's are in 5 different languages, and because, as Americans, we are used to having water with dinner, we had water at no charge, while most of the Europeans had to pay for their water. We ate at in the Main Dining Room every night. Food was good, service was fast, but portions rather small. Staff were like robots, taking your order, serving, but rarely smiling. We were surprised that there was no coffee or tea after your dinner. That is an extra charge, so we just did without it. If we wanted something like that, we went to the buffet later on that night. We choice early seating which was at 6:30, as late seating is like 9:00 or later, just too late for us. 

Shows were interesting, mostly visual so everyone can understand. A lot of jugglers and acrobats. All announcements are in 5 different languages. 

For us, it was a different experience. Really first time we had any real interaction with Europeans, and we came away feeling that many were rude as to common courtesies, at least the way we see things. That's the way they do things, like don't wait until people exit the elevator, they just sort of push on even as people are getting off. I held a door open for ladies and they just walked thru with no thank you. It takes some getting used to, but given the chance, I would cruise with them again.

Cheers

Len

9 hours ago, PumpkinPatches said:

Hi!  We are a family of 4 who just booked our 8th cruise overall but FIRST cruise on MSC.  It'll be the Preziosa in May 2020 to Northern Europe.

I noticed that passengers will be both leaving and joining the ship nearly everyday.  Does this mean we have to muster every day??

What are the complimentary dining venues onboard, and which ones do we pay extra for?  I'm having a hard time finding this info online.

Hi

Cannot comment on the speciality dining venues on this ship personally, but a google search of the ship & dining options will work.

There will be a muster drill every day there is fresh embarkation, but you will only attend your own on your day of boarding. The only 'effects' of the other muster drills will be announcements at the muster period & not being able to be served a drink in any of the outlets being used.

The specialty restaurants are Eataly (Italian) and Galaxy (Sushi).

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Discover-MSC/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Preziosa.aspx

Northern European cruises usually have less embarkation ports than Mediterranean cruises, once on board you really don't notice this procedure happening, at least we didn't, save for the 10 minutes of muster for the new guests.

Your experience and interaction with other guests really depends on the other guests, which you can't predict. We had an awful experience on a cruise out of Miami with very rude, pushy American guests, absolutely zero queuing and European cruises with very friendly European passengers who were very polite.

The food portions are not always large, especially not by American standards but you can order as many courses or choices as you wish.

We've always found the staff to be friendly and very efficient, they will not be overly so as they are on American cruiselines.

The question about the muster drill has already been dealt with by CitizenFrank, so I'll just address the questions on dining.

Complimentary dining on Preziosa only extends to the MDR and the buffet.

There are 2 speciality restaurants:  Galaxy and Eataly/Ristorante Italia.

The wine bar also includes Eataly Pizzaria (food is charged here - though they serve a complimentary plate of anti-pasti if you order wine).

The sports bar used to serve snacks (for a charge) - not sure if they still do.