Scenic Dress Code

mvjcruise

https://www.scenic.ca/why-scenic/faqs

Q. What clothing do I need to pack?

A.

We recommend casual and comfortable clothing. Please bring comfortable walking shoes as you will need these daily whilst sightseeing. This can include walking over rough and uneven ground. Closed-toe shoes are recommended to keep out the dust and sand. Dinner attire is casual: open-neck shirts, slacks and dresses. Coats and ties may be worn but are not required. For winter months we recommend a warm coat, gloves, water-resistant footwear and an umbrella.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mvjcruise said:

Hi. My husband, another couple and I are considering a a Scenic River Cruise. What is the dress code on these ship, and do most people follow it? Thanks.

Yes, most people follow it, but not all. There's going to be at least one person who wants to make some sort of statement by wearing a T-shirt and well-worn jeans to meals; no one makes an issue of it. There will be a few events where a gentleman may wish to wear a coat or even a tie (special meals and concerts) but no one enforces it. Most people go with "smart casual" most of the time, but the whole range is represented. For port excursions jeans and shorts are fine. 

• Like 1

[I know you asked for experiences too, but I always like to respond in dress code threads with the actual information provided by a cruise company if possible, so there's some sort of objective base for discussion ;-)]

These days, neither my husband nor I travel with jeans, and he usually brings a sports coat (travel version from Eddie Bauer) for warmth, and we find that our wardrobes are sufficient for MOST options we come across in our travels. That said, we rarely travel on lines with actual formal nights these days. Did just go on Seabourn, which has formal nights, but they're not that formal - just a jacket is required.....

4 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

[I know you asked for experiences too, but I always like to respond in dress code threads with the actual information provided by a cruise company if possible, so there's some sort of objective base for discussion ;-)]

These days, neither my husband nor I travel with jeans, and he usually brings a sports coat (travel version from Eddie Bauer) for warmth, and we find that our wardrobes are sufficient for MOST options we come across in our travels. That said, we rarely travel on lines with actual formal nights these days. Did just go on Seabourn, which has formal nights, but they're not that formal - just a jacket is required.....

I do appreciate the actual dress code. I was unable to find it on their website, and followed your link back. There was additional information I was looking on FAQ, so thank you!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On our first Scenic cruise my evening dress code was chinos and a polo shirt. The only time I felt underdressed was at the fancy concert in Vienna. For our second cruise coming up I will probably pack a dress shirt for any similar occasion. 

Our next cruise is in October so I will bring a sport coat Incase the dining room gets chilly. 

If if you want to dress up more it’s perfectly fine. We saw a few suits and at least one tuxedo. The couple was sailing for their 60th anniversary and he wore the tuxedo he was married in(and he hadn’t had it altered!). 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2019 at 12:22 PM, jeb_bud said:

On our first Scenic cruise my evening dress code was chinos and a polo shirt. The only time I felt underdressed was at the fancy concert in Vienna. For our second cruise coming up I will probably pack a dress shirt for any similar occasion. 

Our next cruise is in October so I will bring a sport coat Incase the dining room gets chilly. 

If if you want to dress up more it’s perfectly fine. We saw a few suits and at least one tuxedo. The couple was sailing for their 60th anniversary and he wore the tuxedo he was married in(and he hadn’t had it altered!). 

Thank you. Exactly the information I was looking for.

On our Scenic cruise last fall, I was a little worried about dress code going in, because I'm definitely more on the casual side. But the thing that immediately became apparent is that nobody, staff or passengers, stresses about it--the important thing is for people to have a good time. Resort casual is just fine all the time. There are a few occasions where some people choose to go dressier, but it's a personal choice, and I never felt underdressed. By the same token, I doubt anybody felt overdressed--it's just not a big deal one way or the other.

• Like 2