Cozumel & Progreso Mexico

torilyn

Hello

We are going on a cruise  next month February and the  ports of call are Cozumel and Progreso Mexico. We would like to go to a really nice beach in Cozumel and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on that also do a little shopping.  What is there to see in Progreso . Are there nice beaches there too? Or are there other things to see.  I have never been there.

thanks!

Progresso is a beautiful place if you have the right people showing you around. Carnival has an excursion of All Inclusive Beach Resort Getaway. The tour guide is Alejandro Fritzmaurice (Alex). You get on a huge nice bus that is A/C and comfy. As you travel to this resort Alex will talk about Merida and the Yucatan. You will not get bored with him as you go to resort. Very smart in all areas. Once you get to resort, you can do whatever.  The beach is there for you with hammocks for resting, chairs and the gorgeous pools to enjoy. All you can eat and drink and the drinks are amazing. The food i still crave especially the jamaican pork . Alex will visit all his guests one on one and get to know them as he also shows you pics of his own family. You will feel you made a life long friend and walk away with a great memory. One of the best excursions for little money. Very relaxing and drinks and food was enough to fill you up. 

Cozumel make sure you see COCONUTS REST AND BAR. It sits on the highest point with in credible views. I personally like to venture off and have someone drive me around and tell me things i didnt know. For 100 bucks you have 4 hrs  with driver (Plaza Tours, not a Carnival excursion). He took us to the markets, tequilla  tasting, ruins, and i got to get up and close to some huge iguanas. All this and not pay the excursion fees that Carnival charges. 

• Like 1

Progresso you will HAVE to book an excursion to get to a beach, the pier is I think the 2nd longest in the world (I think I read that somewhere. It was crazy long...I believed it!) If I remember correctly there is a smaller beach open to the public in Cozumel not far from the port. All kinds of shopping to do in Cozumel too. If you like baking, you absolutely MUST get some Mexican vanilla! It's 150X better than the vanilla extract we buy at supermarkets.

8 hours ago, torilyn said:

Hello

We are going on a cruise  next month February and the  ports of call are Cozumel and Progreso Mexico. We would like to go to a really nice beach in Cozumel and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on that also do a little shopping.  

What ship and what date?  There are 3 cruise ship piers on Cozumel and all have shopping and bars on the piers and near by.

Do you want an All-Inclusive beach club (food/drinks)?  If so look at Nachi Cocom, Mr. Sanchos, and maybe Playa Mia if you have kids in your group.

Do you want a pay as you go beach club?  Paradise Beach, suggested above, charges $3 admission/chair rental, has great facilities, nice beach, HUGE pool, and water toys (extra fee)

Do you want to snorkel from the beach? Money Bar offers good snorkeling from the shore, but no real beach.  No admission fee, good facilities, and sunset happy hour! :classic_wink:

Coconuts, suggested above, is on the far side of the island -- it is best visited on a tour or if you've hired a driver/taxi for several hours, as communication is a challenge.

Read the reviews/comments on this board, and come back with a little more info on what you want and who you are cruising with, and the suggestions will be closer to your target.

We would just like a beautiful beach in Progreso and Cozumel with facilities.  Not into spending money for food since you have all the food you want back at the ship  already paid for .  A couple drinks would be nice though.   I think the carnival excursions are a little too expensive for me and my budget so I would like some ideas on where to go and how to get there.

Thank you 

Paradise Beach or The Money Bar (no beach but great views) are probably your best bet for pay as you go beach clubs on Cozumel.

Taxi for up to 4 passengers to ON will run about $17 each way.  MY is closer and cab fare will be about $12.  Both offer great facilities.  OH charges $3 admission and has a nice beach and HUGE pool.  MY offers good snorkeling from the shore (you enter the water via steps) and a sunset happy hour! 😎

Edited by JohninDC

Progreso is a tiny fishing village.  Not really a "beach" destination.  It is a great place to see Mayan ruins, local stuff, tours of the city of Merida, etc.  I wouldn't waste my day at a beach there.  

Cozumel is the opposite.... dozens of beautiful beaches, some with sandy beach area to swim, some with rocky snorkeling area in front... all with great Mexican food.  Some charge a cover, some don't but expect you to buy something like drinks, food, etc.  

Great advice by JohninDC. Those two beach clubs were two of our favorites this Summer during our 10 night stay in Cozumel. We are headed back this Summer for 11 nights. Cozumel is an awesome - and inexpensive - place to spend some time. 

Paradise Beach has a few key benefits. Sandy beach with chairs and umbrellas and an enormous, beautiful pool. Attentive wait staff to serve you food and drinks and lots of huge inflatables out in the water if you are into that. 

Money Beach Bar is more relaxed. No true beach. But great snorkeling off the beach and it is just really nice there. I like to save the plastic cups they serve the drinks in too and use them when we have parties back home. Though the waiters try to confiscate them from me.

Have fun!

Definitely choose Cozumel as your beach day. Don't do like we did and save Progreso as the beach day. The beach and the water is not near as pretty as in Cozumel. We went to the beach that is next to the pier (a good long drive along the pier). When we got off the bus, we were right outside a small straw market that we had to weave through to get to the restaurant area around the beach. A great place to sightsee, but not a good beach location.

If you're up for some tasty, inexpensive, educational fun, I highly recommend the KaoKao Chocolate Factory tour. It's $25 a person and the tour only takes an hour, although if it's just a small family you get a lot longer tour. Eduardo is very passionate about the factory and the history of chocolate, and taught us the history, how to make our own chocolate, showed us around the factory, and told us many interesting facts. Well worth the money. And they have a nice little gift shop with their products and good (real!) Mexican vanilla, as well as a small museum. There was a big group there when we were there so we didn't get to see the museum, but I'd love to go back. Be sure and have the address though! Not all the locals know where it is (our taxi driver had to look it up).

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 11:31 PM, Mysticalbama said:

Progresso is a beautiful place if you have the right people showing you around. Carnival has an excursion of All Inclusive Beach Resort Getaway. The tour guide is Alejandro Fritzmaurice (Alex). You get on a huge nice bus that is A/C and comfy. As you travel to this resort Alex will talk about Merida and the Yucatan. You will not get bored with him as you go to resort. Very smart in all areas. Once you get to resort, you can do whatever.  The beach is there for you with hammocks for resting, chairs and the gorgeous pools to enjoy. All you can eat and drink and the drinks are amazing. The food i still crave especially the jamaican pork . Alex will visit all his guests one on one and get to know them as he also shows you pics of his own family. You will feel you made a life long friend and walk away with a great memory. One of the best excursions for little money. Very relaxing and drinks and food was enough to fill you up. 

Cozumel make sure you see COCONUTS REST AND BAR. It sits on the highest point with in credible views. I personally like to venture off and have someone drive me around and tell me things i didnt know. For 100 bucks you have 4 hrs  with driver (Plaza Tours, not a Carnival excursion). He took us to the markets, tequilla  tasting, ruins, and i got to get up and close to some huge iguanas. All this and not pay the excursion fees that Carnival charges. 

Thank you we were looking at that excursion in Progresso.We are in port 9 hrs can you stay as long as you want?