Victoria, BC

Hello, i just noticed that we arrive in Victoria (Aug 2020 on the Bliss) at 730pm and leave at midnight - is this normal to arrive so late? what do we do - get off and go to a pub, dinner? anything else to do that late? kinda disappointed we don't' have the day to spend there.  think i misread it while booking.  thanks for any info!

Unfortunately, Victory is a "technical" stop for Alaska cruises starting and ending in Seattle The ship is required to make a stop in a foreign port and Victoria fits the bill.  Most ships arrive late afternoon or early evening.  (A few years back I found a cruise that arrived in Victoria at noon). The ship may offer an excursion to Butchard Gardens. The gardens are stunning in the evening, plus the sun sets at about 10:00.  Otherwise, there is enough time to head to downtown Victoria and wonder around the harbour area which is very lively at night.

Another option is to disembark in Victoria, spend the night then explore the next day. You would have to work with the Cruise ship and Canadian immigration to arrange this. You would also have to arrange your own transportation back home.

Yup, if it wasn't for US law odds are very high indeed that there would be no Victoria stop for you at all! +1 to abandoning ship in Victoria if you actually want to see the Island - there are many options to get back home conveniently, from the int'l airport (YYJ) to floatplanes (to Seattle and Vancouver) to further 'cruising' on the Clipper to Seattle or V2V/BC ferries to Vancouver.

Only disagreement with above is sunset timing - by even the 1st of August it's before 9pm and drops to just before 8pm by the end of the month. I don't feel that Butchart is worthwhile for a short cruise excursion at all, let alone when almost all of it will be after sunset (they do light the gardens, but it's just not the same as being able to see them properly in full daylight).

Many shops will remain open to extract as many of your tourist dollars as possible, especially along Government Street next to the inner harbour. If it's a Fri or Sat the Royal BC Museum also keep late hours until 10pm (well, it has for a few years so it probably will continue to do so next year too). Personally all I do on short stops is hit the pub (Swans Brewpub is my favourite), but then I'm close enough to head over for a weekend any time I want to;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it's a Saturday then I would suggest take the Butchart Gardens Tour.  Though I hate what they charge you guys to get there and all.  BUT they have fireworks (almost 30 minutes long choreographed to music) on the Saturday and it's very much worth the trip,  especially with the walk in the evening through the gardens back to the busses.  It's not anymore expensive at the gate to get in on a fireworks night.  But they'll more than likely charge a premium with the tour excursion.  BTW admission is 33 dollars Canadian.  about 25 US.  Fireworks are over by 10 ish in August so if they offer an excursion you will get back to the boat on time.  The ships don't like to leave after midnight (11:59PM) since then they have to start paying fresh hourly fees on the new calendar day.

If that doesn't meet your requirements, catch a quick bus into town for a small fee and walk around the inner harbour and make your way back to the boat.  It's safe the entire way from downtown along the sea wall walk to the ship. 

• 1 month later...

The local government is all for this and the Cruise Industry just published this article:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20151-victoria-set-for-fifth-record-year.html

Seems that the evening points of interest are either guided tours with various themes, (ghosts, murders, etc) or the Inner Harbor.  We are visiting this August and if we find any secrets we will post them here.