Captains Suite

bartleby112

So the cruise i'm already booked has one Captains Suite still available.  I currently have 2 oceanview connecting cabins.  I think we spent 3300 for the 2 rooms.  Its only 6.3k for the captains suite.  Seems like a once in a lifetime type cabin.  it would be wife and 3 kids with me.  Talk me into, or out of spending an additional 3k for this cabin!!

On our honeymoon we got an Aft Wrap on Glory.  That balcony was SOOO worth it.  It was fun when we met people and were like "yeah, we are on the corner, want to see it" and we would bring them to the room and they were memorized by the balcony. 

If you're curious to see what the cabin looks like look on you tube for carnival conquest 9202. 

22 minutes ago, bartleby112 said:

So the cruise i'm already booked has one Captains Suite still available.  I currently have 2 oceanview connecting cabins.  I think we spent 3300 for the 2 rooms.  Its only 6.3k for the captains suite.  Seems like a once in a lifetime type cabin.  it would be wife and 3 kids with me.  Talk me into, or out of spending an additional 3k for this cabin!!

On our honeymoon we got an Aft Wrap on Glory.  That balcony was SOOO worth it.  It was fun when we met people and were like "yeah, we are on the corner, want to see it" and we would bring them to the room and they were memorized by the balcony. 

If you're curious to see what the cabin looks like look on you tube for carnival conquest 9202. 

Wow! A man that likes to spend money! My hubby will never let me book anything other than inside cabins, to help us on our retirement budget, but what I’d give for a suite, or even just a balcony for my 50th Anniversary cruise in April 2020 on the Magic. But in all fairness, we spend very little time in our cabin, so I can understand his reasoning. For you, another $3,000 seems a bit too high, but only you can judge what you can comfortably afford. I confess I had a dream once that we showed up for our 50th Anniversary cruise, and was told we were upgraded to the Captains Suite. Not from an inside to an ocean view, but the Captains Suite. 🤣🤣🤣 Enjoy. 

That's a whole other cruise  just the Price's difference for a bigger cabin but if you got the dough and that's what makes you happy .have at it.i can see doing it on other cruise lines because you get a totally different experiences for the money but carnival? I dont think so but that's just me.im sure someone else is going to say otherwise.its a personal choice.

5 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Wow! A man that likes to spend money! My hubby will never let me book anything other than inside cabins, to help us on our retirement budget, but what I’d give for a suite, or even just a balcony for my 50th Anniversary cruise in April 2020 on the Magic. But in all fairness, we spend very little time in our cabin, so I can understand his reasoning. For you, another $3,000 seems a bit too high, but only you can judge what you can comfortably afford. I confess I had a dream once that we showed up for our 50th Anniversary cruise, and was told we were upgraded to the Captains Suite. Not from an inside to an ocean view, but the Captains Suite. 🤣🤣🤣 Enjoy. 

we are in our 30's  and that 3k would go a long way in my 457 when i'm going to want to cruise a few times a year in 20 something years! 

Also i showed the wife the video.  said "its only 3k more!!!" and she was like "hell no, we need to save money to redo our bathroom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scpirate said:

That's a whole other cruise  just the Price's difference for a bigger cabin but if you got the dough and that's what makes you happy .have at it.i can see doing it on other cruise lines because you get a totally different experiences for the money but carnival? I dont think so but that's just me.im sure someone else is going to say otherwise.its a personal choice.

It totally is.  And honestly with 2 outside cabins and a door we will probably have the same square footage, still have 2 bathrooms, and can partially close the door when the kids go to bed and have a way in an out of the room without waking them. 

• Like 1

Just now, bartleby112 said:

we are in our 30's  and that 3k would go a long way in my 457 when i'm going to want to cruise a few times a year in 20 something years! 

Also i showed the wife the video.  said "its only 3k more!!!" and she was like "hell no, we need to save money to redo our bathroom.

Precisely! I can’t even envision spending that kind of money on a cruise! 

• Like 1

Just now, grandmarnnurse said:

Precisely! I can’t even envision spending that kind of money on a cruise! 

RIGHT!  one day i'd like to think i saved enough in retirement that spending todays equivalent of 6k for a novelty on a ship is something i can do.  But right now we have retirement we need to save for and kids college funds!

• Like 1

We have stayed in 2 CS, one on the original ships to get them back when she was doing full cruises the Liberty and one time on the Sunshine.  These are the best that Carnival have and are fantastic rooms, go for it!  We loved it and will probably do another cruise in the CS.

you also have to remember the taxes and fees.  that could add another $1,000

if you have the money, go for it

if you don't, then I think what you have is perfectly fine.  I like the idea of closing the door to the kids and the 2nd bathroom.

it's  a big room, for sure, but it isn't AMAZING, so it's not something I would book if I had the money.   especially with no real balcony to use, I don't think it's worth it.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, pyropoodle said:

you also have to remember the taxes and fees.  that could add another $1,000

if you have the money, go for it

if you don't, then I think what you have is perfectly fine.  I like the idea of closing the door to the kids and the 2nd bathroom.

it's  a big room, for sure, but it isn't AMAZING, so it's not something I would book if I had the money.   especially with no real balcony to use, I don't think it's worth it.

I think the worst part of the room is that balcony.  Its bigger thats for sure.  But absolutely no privacy.  anyone in the next 15 rooms can look right at you.  Not sure how you change this without really ruining the view for the other 15 cabins though.

With everyone else giving you what I think is the obvious financial reason why not, here's why our October cruise is in a Captain's Suite (CS):

• Traveling with small children
  • Traveling with others
  • Can afford it
  • Random benefits

Small children - For our next cruise, our 3 children will be 3.5 years old, 2 years old and 6 months old - it's amazing what you can sign up for on the Amazon subscription plan 😉 

• It's really nice to have a tub with children that small (hence at least a suite).
  • It's really nice for mommy and daddy to have a separate bedroom from kids in the the living room (just a subset of the suites).
  • The extra space helps for:
    • the pack and play for the littlest one
    • storage for strollers and everything else that helps when you're traveling with small kids
    • a little play space for the kids when we're getting ready
  • Naptime means someone ends up spending more time in the room, so it might as well be somewhere you like hanging out

Traveling with others - For our next cruise my wife's parents, my wife's sister and her boyfriend will all be coming along (fortunately, I like my in-laws).

• Given that we've got little kids, everyone meets up to head out for dinner or whatever from our room. That means space and a nicer space helps
  • And they'll hang out while we're nap-babysitting or babysit for us so a nicer space (in particular a nicer balcony) is a good incentive

Can afford it

• There's the no-duh part 
  • I have the flexibility to fit in a few billable hours here and there (e.g., kids napping, but need to be in the cabin), which more or less covers the cost difference to the other option I considered (a two room combo like yours). Working on vacation is less of a downer in a nicer room. 

Random benefits

• My wife is a little bit sensitive about sunbathing on the deck with thousands of others 6 months after giving birth, but loves the sun. A nice balcony addresses this
  • The ladies (wife, MIL, SIL) like the jetted tub (always accessible and clean as opposed to the hot tubs)
    • This is also where the two bathrooms come in handy. 
  • It's nice not splitting up the family and there aren't many cabin options for a family of 5
  • Like 1