Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

32 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The selling points in the talk we attended were all about the thriving, relaxed atmosphere, acrobats, kids clubs and chargeable venues, not much that relates to our idea of traditional cruising. 

Perhaps that is how it needs to be going forward and I am fine with that, just might not be our cup of tea. We shall see.. 

Andy 

If the more relaxed atmosphere makes Iona more like our experience on Independence of the seas this last summer, then I will be more than happy. There was plenty to remind us of the traditional values we enjoy on P&O but equally a lot of extra features that increased our enjoyment of the cruise.  For me I am looking forward to the extra dining options in the Quays, especially the alfresco option on the promenade deck, we just have to hope that the weather in the Canaries in February will be warm enough to enjoy outdoor dining.  Then there is the Skydome, which sounds very different to anything there has been on P&O in the past, and the glass sided atrium which will give a new feel to the bars and lounges on board.  

A lot to look forward to.

18 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

If the more relaxed atmosphere makes Iona more like our experience on Independence of the seas this last summer, then I will be more than happy. There was plenty to remind us of the traditional values we enjoy on P&O but equally a lot of extra features that increased our enjoyment of the cruise.  For me I am looking forward to the extra dining options in the Quays, especially the alfresco option on the promenade deck, we just have to hope that the weather in the Canaries in February will be warm enough to enjoy outdoor dining.  Then there is the Skydome, which sounds very different to anything there has been on P&O in the past, and the glass sided atrium which will give a new feel to the bars and lounges on board.  

A lot to look forward to.

You have sold it to me John, something the P&O rep didn't do... 

Andy 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Thanks for the regular updates, it is interesting to see.  I am right, that she also has the flag painted on the back.

Yes, she does have part of the flag draped around each corner of the stern.

A poor framegrab from the video.

78777262_10215671347272842_1890002398714265600_n.jpg

Edited by jaydee6969

This is an interesting topic. I think many of us are curious, unsure, intrigued by the whole Iona concept. 

We moved away from P&O for a few years because we felt the ships were getting too big. However after a few disappointments we decided to return and try Britannia. A 7 night cruise was shortly followed by a 14 nighter, and we realised that we had found a new 'favourite'.

What we enjoyed was the space, the choice of dining venues (we only ate in the MDR 4 nights in 14), the various entertainment venues, but also areas like the Crow's Nest which retained the cruise ship flavour. We were concerned about the possibility of crowding, and problems getting on and off the shop at ports, but we didn't encounter that. 

I know that Iona carries far more pax than Britannia and I wonder (as I did with Britannia) if it's a step too far, but time will tell and I hope she is a success. We are booked on her in 2021 and will avidly read such threads as this and the reviews following her launch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jake 26 said:

This is an interesting topic. I think many of us are curious, unsure, intrigued by the whole Iona concept. 

We moved away from P&O for a few years because we felt the ships were getting too big. However after a few disappointments we decided to return and try Britannia. A 7 night cruise was shortly followed by a 14 nighter, and we realised that we had found a new 'favourite'.

What we enjoyed was the space, the choice of dining venues (we only ate in the MDR 4 nights in 14), the various entertainment venues, but also areas like the Crow's Nest which retained the cruise ship flavour. We were concerned about the possibility of crowding, and problems getting on and off the shop at ports, but we didn't encounter that. 

I know that Iona carries far more pax than Britannia and I wonder (as I did with Britannia) if it's a step too far, but time will tell and I hope she is a success. We are booked on her in 2021 and will avidly read such threads as this and the reviews following her launch.

You have the right idea of trying the ship and making your own minds up of whether the ship is for you or not.

Iona does look smart with having part of her stern painted too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Monorail Orange said:

I pretty used to seeing the ship after following the thread, but my word... I still can't get over the size of her!

I agree she looks enormous but don’t forget, some of her will be beneath the water! I can’t wait to walk onboard her in less than 5 months time.

3 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

I pretty used to seeing the ship after following the thread, but my word... I still can't get over the size of her!

She will actually be slightly shorter than Independence of the seas and with quite a narrower beam, but will have 3 extra decks, most of which will be taken up with extra accommodation, I just hope she has enough extra public deck space to accommodate the much higher number of passengers.

1 hour ago, Monorail Orange said:

Anyone know what the ratio of passengers to public sapce is? 5,200 is a lot of folks to spread out across the decks - especially on those occasional rainy sea days.

Interesting thought.  I just googled space ratio for P&O ships and come up with this.  If it's right, it doesn't look great.  The higher the number the better.

image.png.3a32f83361067378e70b489f075b7974.png

I've seen on a couple of sites that Iona's space ratio is 29 rather than 26. A point of comparison is that aida nova has a ratio of just under 28 so hard to say what the actual figure will be.

29 is just about manageable, 26 would be a major concern for me regardless of how well planned the space is.  A lot of the public space on Iona is also located outside so when bad weather comes I imagine it will feel very crowded.

2 minutes ago, Showingthatgame said:

I've seen on a couple of sites that Iona's space ratio is 29 rather than 26. A point of comparison is that aida nova has a ratio of just under 28 so hard to say what the actual figure will be.

29 is just about manageable, 26 would be a major concern for me regardless of how well planned the space is.  A lot of the public space on Iona is also located outside so when bad weather comes I imagine it will feel very crowded.

I'm starting to have doubts but won't cancel. We have a 2 week cruise booked next year. Sounds different so we will see. If we dont like it, it will go on the same list as Britannia (another one that we won't do again).

I see that carnival have announced that another of Ionas sister ships (Mardi Gras) will be delivered 8 weeks late. This follows the late delivery of both AIDA Nova and Costa Smerelda. If Iona is delivered on time, it will be first of this class of ship. On the other hand, the naming ceremony for Iona is going to be a couple of months after the announced maiden voyage!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Showingthatgame said:

I think the figures quoted are for maximum occupancy, whereas its normal to quote against lower berth occupancy,  in which case Azura/Ventura would be 37, and Britannia 39, and Iona 35.

I don't think the outside space counts, the gross tonnage is a measure of covered area.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the figures quoted are for maximum occupancy, whereas its normal to quote against lower berth occupancy,  in which case Azura/Ventura would be 37, and Britannia 39, and Iona 35.

I don't think the outside space counts, the gross tonnage is a measure of covered area.

If that is the case and only inside is considered then im not too worried about Ionas potential crowding issues. The skydome thing presumbly counts as outside space which will be used in almost all weathers and should have a reasonable capacity.

I do like her design philosphy of connecting people to the sea rather than a shopping center that moves, I just hope that it deals with the crowds well enough. 

5 minutes ago, Showingthatgame said:

If that is the case and only inside is considered then im not too worried about Ionas potential crowding issues. The skydome thing presumbly counts as outside space which will be used in almost all weathers and should have a reasonable capacity.

I do like her design philosphy of connecting people to the sea rather than a shopping center that moves, I just hope that it deals with the crowds well enough. 

Sorry but the sky dome will count as covered space.

As much as the whole concept of Iona fills me with horror (😱😁) Space Ratio really doesn't tell the whole story.  The ratios of Aurora and Azura are not that different and yet I have never felt crowded on Aurora but both cruises I have done on Azura, she felt hideously crowded.

Iona will be a very different product for P&O and it will be interesting to see how she and her passenger demographic develop - especially with a sister-ship already on the order books.

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

As much as the whole concept of Iona fills me with horror (😱😁) Space Ratio really doesn't tell the whole story.  The ratios of Aurora and Azura are not that different and yet I have never felt crowded on Aurora but both cruises I have done on Azura, she felt hideously crowded.

Iona will be a very different product for P&O and it will be interesting to see how she and her passenger demographic develop - especially with a sister-ship already on the order books.

Strange how we all differ in our experiences, I found little difference between Azura/Ventura and Aurora as regards crowding, but I thought that Aurora made me feel more claustrophobic that either of the two bigger ships, and Aurora was certainly much less user friendly for a wheelchair user. It will be very interesting to see how Iona compares.

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Strange how we all differ in our experiences, I found little difference between Azura/Ventura and Aurora as regards crowding, but I thought that Aurora made me feel more claustrophobic that either of the two bigger ships, and Aurora was certainly much less user friendly for a wheelchair user. It will be very interesting to see how Iona compares.

I can understand why someone might feel more claustrophobic on Aurora as her interiors are certainly more enclosed than the Grand Class ships - and of course she is much smaller.  Personally it doesn't feel like that to me.  As you say, we all experience ships in a different way.

I certainly hope Iona will be more accessible for those with any mobility issues as she will be introduced 20 years after Aurora.  If not, it will be a serious design fault!