Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

On 12/28/2019 at 1:30 PM, terrierjohn said:

She is hardly any longer and quite a bit narrower than Indy OTS, but she is taller. But when compared with RCIs Oasis class, she is is a lot smaller.

If she is taller and narrower, does that mean she will rock more in rough seas.

38 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks for the video. I presume /hope it wasn’t taken very recently because the few shots of the interior show there is still a massive amount of work still to be done. 

Considering the source of the video, I would image it was within the last week. Still at least 10 weeks until leaving the yard, a lot can get done in that time.

10 hours ago, emam said:

If she is taller and narrower, does that mean she will rock more in rough seas.

Not necessarily. It depends on how low they can get the Centre of Gravity below the waterline. Thats why all the heavy stuff (engines, machinery, fuel , stores etc) is placed as low as possible. I'm not sure if its true with Iona, but a lot of ships now have their upperworks made in lighter materials such as aluminium to further lower the CoG.

Simon

Just caught up on this thread and have a couple of things to share.

Passenger capacity - P&O only ever declare "Normal Operating Capacity", which for Iona is 5200.  This is usually the number of lower berths.  Iona's 'cousin', Aida Nova also has a lower capacity of 5200 but apparently has a maximum of approximately 6600.  I'm not saying that Iona will accommodate the same maximum but it is possible.  I doubt she will ever sail that full but may get close to such numbers in the school holidays.

Delayed delivery - I was recently at a talk given by the Operations Manager of a small, niche cruise line.  During the talk, he mentioned that there is a current trend for large cruise ships to be delivered late - especially LNG vessels, which have a lot of new technology.  Let's hope for all those booked on early Iona cruises that she bucks the trend!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Just caught up on this thread and have a couple of things to share.

Passenger capacity - P&O only ever declare "Normal Operating Capacity", which for Iona is 5200.  This is usually the number of lower berths.  Iona's 'cousin', Aida Nova also has a lower capacity of 5200 but apparently has a maximum of approximately 6600.  I'm not saying that Iona will accommodate the same maximum but it is possible.  I doubt she will ever sail that full but may get close to such numbers in the school holidays.

Delayed delivery - I was recently at a talk given by the Operations Manager of a small, niche cruise line.  During the talk, he mentioned that there is a current trend for large cruise ships to be delivered late - especially LNG vessels, which have a lot of new technology.  Let's hope for all those booked on early Iona cruises that she bucks the trend!

That's interesting, I always thought that the advertised figure was maximum capacity. 

Every day is a school day.. 

Andy 

Interesting points there. I have to admit, I'm cringing at the thought of 5,200 let alone 6k.

As for delivery dates, I wonder how much of a buffer is built into the date? Granted they could not forsee the delays with the Mardi Gras, but with other ships - do they have, say, a week or two contingency?

Its a fine line, no point having a ship ready to go and waiting for its maiden voyage. Must be heckuva a stressful time for those who plan all the promotional side of things. Let alone those people who work at the booking agencies/call centres that probably get a right earful when things have to be re-arranged.

As you said Britboys, here's hoping Iona will buck that trend.

41 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

My worry is in an emergency that the lifeboats may hold upto 450 passengers if the Aidonova is anything to go by.

I've been on a cruise ship that takes less than 450 pax 😁.  Don't worry - if she is the same as most other cruise ships, as well as the tender/life boats, there will be a number of flotation craft that look like they are in big tin cans and inflate for use on the water.

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

I've been on a cruise ship that takes less than 450 pax 😁.  Don't worry - if she is the same as most other cruise ships, as well as the tender/life boats, there will be a number of flotation craft that look like they are in big tin cans and inflate for use on the water.

LOL,inside cabins get the rubber dingy and a tin opener.Suites get the proper lifeboats.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

It's been a while, but latest update from Meyer Werft webcam - spot the difference time.

2020_02_07_Halle_6_2_W466.jpg

Hopefully there are an enormous lot of differences inside that we cannot see.

• Like 1