Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

On 2/15/2020 at 10:59 PM, terrierjohn said:

She is actually only 7m longer than Britannia and 2m less beam, so in terms of distances to walk she is very similarr. The big difference of course is that Iona has 3 extra decks, so the lifts will probably be kept busy.

They seem to have lots of lift banks so hopefully not an issue. Plus the stairs do help get rid of those extra pounds. On AidaNova they seem to have glass doors.

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

Weekly update from Meyer Werft.

2020_02_21_halle_6_2_w466_1022x520.jpg

Interesting photo that is making me have doubts.  When we booked a promenade balcony cabin during our last cruise on Britannia, we were told that we would look down onto the promenade deck and might just see the top of peoples heads walking past.  This photo is quite clear in showing that is not the case, as it is only raised just a little from the promenade deck and definitely not above it.  Add to that, the view will be almost mainly all the structures along the side of the ship.  Has anyone else booked one of these cabins?  The other issue is that the cabins above appear to have larger balconies and will therefore be above the cabins below, not just their balconies.  I wonder how noisy these will be with chairs being moved around above you.  Views? Opinions?

7 hours ago, Addict said:

Interesting photo that is making me have doubts.  When we booked a promenade balcony cabin during our last cruise on Britannia, we were told that we would look down onto the promenade deck and might just see the top of peoples heads walking past.  This photo is quite clear in showing that is not the case, as it is only raised just a little from the promenade deck and definitely not above it.  Add to that, the view will be almost mainly all the structures along the side of the ship.  Has anyone else booked one of these cabins?  The other issue is that the cabins above appear to have larger balconies and will therefore be above the cabins below, not just their balconies.  I wonder how noisy these will be with chairs being moved around above you.  Views? Opinions?

My understanding from when the plans were first released was that these cabins would only just be above the promenade deck.  The plans have only ever shown a few steps up into this area from prom level.  It is likely that the tops of most peoples heads will be level or lower than the balcony handrail.  Plus I believe these will all have obscured glass fronts to prevent people looking directly into the cabins.

As for noise from above, the general cabins seem to be in line with those above.  The conservatory cabins do have a balcony over them, buy only the conservatory part it would seem.  The main cabin wall looks like it will line through with the cabin above.

3 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

My understanding from when the plans were first released was that these cabins would only just be above the promenade deck.  The plans have only ever shown a few steps up into this area from prom level.  It is likely that the tops of most peoples heads will be level or lower than the balcony handrail.  Plus I believe these will all have obscured glass fronts to prevent people looking directly into the cabins.

As for noise from above, the general cabins seem to be in line with those above.  The conservatory cabins do have a balcony over them, buy only the conservatory part it would seem.  The main cabin wall looks like it will line through with the cabin above.

Thank you for your thoughts. It seems to me we weren't given good information when we booked.

Edited by Addict

We have a conservatory cabin on the promenade deck booked, I did some research before so was aware they were only slightly above the promenade deck and that the balcony glass will be obscured. I dont see it as a problem,  I may be proved wrong, if anyone wants to have a look over, I'll give them a wave whilst I enjoy coffee in my conservatory!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

There is a YouTube video of a balcony cabin on deck 9 of Aidanova which overlooks the conservatory cabins on deck 8, prom deck.  The view is a bit confusing because Aidanova's prom has steps at this point, which of course Iona doesn't.

So will Iona be the same as this ship. I'm just wondering if there are any video's or photos of it. Presumably the decoration would be different but not the layout.

To answer my own question there is a video of the ship, quite nice what I have seen so far. Though my other question still remains is it the same layout or near enough to Iona.

Edited by emam
Own answer

43 minutes ago, emam said:

To answer my own question there is a video of the ship, quite nice what I have seen so far. Though my other question still remains is it the same layout or near enough to Iona.

Had a quick look at the deck plans, and probably more differences than similarities.  For example there is not a theatre in the bow like Iona has, Aidanova has a spa and bars etc.

It was when terrierjohn mentioned Aidanova I thought they might be similar. Aida has slides on her, so that is obviously different that Iona will be. 

Looks like the lifeboats are seating inside only.

2 hours ago, emam said:

So will Iona be the same as this ship. I'm just wondering if there are any video's or photos of it. Presumably the decoration would be different but not the layout.

Both ships are Excellence class ships. Aida Nova is a Helios sub class, Iona is XL sub class.

The main visible difference is the prom deck with the Helios class having the flight of stairs towards the rear of the deck 9 whereas the XL class is one level.

Internal differences and facilities on upper decks are based on individual brand preferences.

I notice that now she has been floated out Iona's length, according to Wikipedia, has been amended to 344.5m, up from 337 which is Aidanova's length, if correct that makes her 14.4m (47.5ft) longer than Btitannia. Some of the difference might be due to Iona have a standard raked stem, rather than Aidanova's stubby one.

However she has the same number of cabins as Aidanova, so I would expect them to be very similar dimensions to Iona, and from the Youtube video I watched the balconies look very similar in size to Britannia's, maybe just a tad deeper..

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I notice that now she has been floated out Iona's length, according to Wikipedia, has been amended to 344.5m, up from 337 which is Aidanova's length, if correct that makes her 14.4m (47.5ft) longer than Btitannia. 

I thought 344 has always been the length. 

On 2/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, Addict said:

Hi,

I’m new here, have never cruised before and last night we booked Iona for July! We’re v excited. 

We’ve booked a Conservatory mini-suite and as I was making the booking on line I had a very handy YouTube video open showing the deck plans. I noticed deck 8 was a promenade deck (complete with infinity whirlpools) and thought to myself doesn’t that mean people can look straight into our balcony/cabin?

I gave P and O a call and their agent told me that the deck was 1 step only below the floor level of the balcony, so I guess those on the deck will look straight into the balcony and cabin.

Fortunately we secured the very last mini suite on deck 9 as deck 8 would have been a deal breaker for us. I was very surprised the online booking engine doesn’t clarify the situation on deck 8, I can imagine as a first timer booking a suite with balcony I’d have been v disappointed to have people walking by the balcony.

Edited by dan12345

This is the one I watched which is a tour of the ship. Obviously things will be different on Iona, but it does give some glimpses of what she could have. I did notice that nowhere seemed overcrowded. It could just have been the times the video was taken. Also Aidanova has slides which Iona won't.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZHlw6TpR88

10 hours ago, Suebiker said:

Just found this video of deck 7 and 8 on Aidanova - gives a better idea of how the cabins on the promenade will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtyUh6WGSzI

It is however worth remembering that AidaNova's promenade is spread over two decks, whereas Iona's is only Deck 8.  Also, Aidanova has some cabins forward and some aft on Deck 8 but Iona's are all forward.