Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe that these would be mainly used for crew, but I imagine they would ensure that passengers were young and fully fit before they were asked to use one of these.

I hope so. Thank you, that's a relief!!

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

There does seem to be  steps of some kind inside the tube.

I don't think there are steps, it is a tube but in sections which might look like steps on a photo.  We looked at the instruction panel on the box structure Celebrity  of how to descend, and I am fairly certain it showed a picture with your arms crossed in front of you getting ready to step into the tube.

There are a number of Youtube videos showing the MES evacuation systems.

Edited by terrierjohn

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't think there are steps, it is a tube but in sections which might look like steps on a photo.  We looked at the instruction panel on the box structure Celebrity  of how to descend, and I am fairly certain it showed a picture with your arms crossed in front of you getting ready to step into the tube.

There are a number of Youtube videos showing the MES evacuation systems.

Presumably, when it's in use for real, it would be stretched out like a slide to a lifeboat away from the ship. Dropping straight down that would probably kill you or at least break some bones.

8 minutes ago, Addict said:

Presumably, when it's in use for real, it would be stretched out like a slide to a lifeboat away from the ship. Dropping straight down that would probably kill you or at least break some bones.

That is exactly how the test we observed was done, still quite a steep angle but no worse than a normal water park slide, and the latest monsters can hold a heck of a lot of people.

I understand what you mean, but on a water slide you have a landing that cushions your fall. All you have with that is the bottom of the lifeboat which I doubt is as giving as water.

Edited by Adawn47

I may be completely wrong but I've been looking online this morning and some information seems to suggest that inside the chute there is a tighter sock like channel that you go through which slows your descent as it supports your weight on the way down. 

I'm a lady of a certain age, who worries if I'm not worried because I've obviously forgotten something that needs worrying about, and this kept me awake last night, along with 101 other things 😂

• Like 1

For anyone worried, oops I meant interested, here's a YouTube link. It says there is a spiral cushioned slide inside this one. I hope it puts your mind at rest, it did mine. Apologies if it has the opposite effect!

Edited by SarahHben
added a bit

15 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

For anyone worried, oops I meant interested, here's a YouTube link. It says there is a spiral cushioned slide inside this one. I hope it puts your mind at rest, it did mine. Apologies if it has the opposite effect!

To be honest it doesnt look too safe. First, falling from this height does not seem promising for many people (kids, elderly people). Second, the boats themselves dont look safe. I mean for a general weather condition it should be alright, but if there is a storm or smth? It doesnt even look stable. I think that they will server a good job only in the case of immidiate rection to the shipwreck by the safety department. Otherwise, I would not prefer to stay on that thing for a long time cruising in the middle of the ocean. Maybe its just me.. 

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

To be honest it doesnt look too safe. First, falling from this height does not seem promising for many people (kids, elderly people). Second, the boats themselves dont look safe. I mean for a general weather condition it should be alright, but if there is a storm or smth? It doesnt even look stable. I think that they will server a good job only in the case of immidiate rection to the shipwreck by the safety department. Otherwise, I would not prefer to stay on that thing for a long time cruising in the middle of the ocean. Maybe its just me.. 

Regarding the falling from a height I was really worried when I saw the pic of Ionas chute but watching this video it says you don't fall, you go through a spiral chute which controls your descent making it safe for everyone (not my words)

42 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Regarding the falling from a height I was really worried when I saw the pic of Ionas chute but watching this video it says you don't fall, you go through a spiral chute which controls your descent making it safe for everyone (not my words)

Having a morbid fear of heights there is absolutely NO way I would happily throw myself down that chute. I'd rather take the captains option and  go down with ship😊. Another big tick in the box for smaller ships✔

Avril.

Edited by Adawn47

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Having a morbid fear of heights there is absolutely NO way I would happily throw myself down that chute. I'd rather take the captains option and  go down with ship😊

I said the same to my husband at 2am this morning, unfortunately he was asleep at the time 🙂

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks for posting this. I'd be totally confident using one of these now. Let's hope it's never needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Ooh, I want a go.. 😊

Obviously not if the ship was sinking, but I'm sure I have queued for half a day at Alton Towers for something similar... 

Andy 

• Like 2

Not quite sure this it the right thread but...

An interesting email from P&O just arrived detailing shows for the SkyDome which was to be expected but also details about a performance in the aitrum. Using the aitrum as a performance space should really help with the overcrowding concerns. 

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I don't even like the Legoland Ferris Wheel 😂 

My husband on the other hand says it looks like fun!

Well tell him not to count on getting a ride on it!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Showingthatgame said:

Not quite sure this it the right thread but...

An interesting email from P&O just arrived detailing shows for the SkyDome which was to be expected but also details about a performance in the aitrum. Using the aitrum as a performance space should really help with the overcrowding concerns. 

I think the only people who have raised possible overcrowding are those who do not like such a large ship. The only way we will find out is once the maiden cruise sets sail.
The shows detailed in the email look as though they will be worth watching, especially in the atrium where people will be able to watch the arial performance from different decks which overlook the atrium. I am sure they will be spectacular and very popular.
I cannot understand the constant negativity some posters show towards a ship that nobody has sailed on yet. I am excited by the prospect at sailing on her in less than 10 weeks time and looking forward to a cruise that will be different from the rather staid formula we are used to. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I think the only people who have raised possible overcrowding are those who do not like such a large ship. The only way we will find out is once the maiden cruise sets sail.
The shows detailed in the email look as though they will be worth watching, especially in the atrium where people will be able to watch the arial performance from different decks which overlook the atrium. I am sure they will be spectacular and very popular.
I cannot understand the constant negativity some posters show towards a ship that nobody has sailed on yet. I am excited by the prospect at sailing on her in less than 10 weeks time and looking forward to a cruise that will be different from the rather staid formula we are used to. 

Unfortunately negativity is to be expected on forums. People like a good moan and will be passionate about decisions the company takes. Sometimes its important to keep them in check but it really needs to be balanced. 

Personally the space ratios have me a tad concerned but I am in the belief that Iona will be managed well to minimise those issues. The fact that the aitrum is being used a show location is a very welcome surprise. Im on Iona in 13 weeks and am definitely looking forward to a modern take for P&O.