Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

30 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Still waiting for sight of our cabin on the back!

Hopefully won't be long, just need to get the Encore out, float in and join the two sections, and drop in the stern sections.  I suspect they are already assembled alongside the dry dock, just waiting for placing.

43 minutes ago, Addict said:

Did anyone see the bit where it seems to knock something off the top of the building around 38 seconds in?

Yes but I think it was a man who walked down the steps as the dome lifted overhead, I sincerely hope so anyway! 

Has anyone figured out if the side shown is port or starboard?

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Yes but I think it was a man who walked down the steps as the dome lifted overhead, I sincerely hope so anyway! 

It's port side.

14 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I just studied that bit again. Definitely not walking down steps lol.

53 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

It is starboard side against the dock in the harbour, aft section to be added to the left. 

Just thought I'd share something with you that I've just been in contact with P&O about regarding Iona. 

One of our group has a mobility scooter which he doesn't usually take on cruises but we were looking at a port-intensive cruise so thought it could be useful some days ashore if we intend walking a lot. However, unlike all other ships where you can have a scooter in a mini-suite, we can only book an accessible cabin or a suite.  It seems unfair to have an adapted cabin because he has absolutely no need of one and also  seems unfair that we would be denying someone whose needs are far greater than his.  However if that's how it has to be that's how t will eb though it seems discriminatory and maybe a way of P&O limiting passengers by age. The question is who will fill all those cabins in January and February. 

More picture from Meyer Werft:-

The completion of the p & O Iona is now on strike 👆: after the glass roof, the so-called command center of the ship has now been set up.
With a length of 29,2 meters, a width of 46,9 meters and a height of 15 meters, the bridge has a total weight of impressive 460 tons!

(Google transalte)

67523387_2342123119384106_2410579798226108416_o.jpg

67684566_2342123112717440_8659357361040785408_o.jpg

• Like 1

I have had an unconfirmed report that the Norwegian Encore will be floated out of the dry dock on 17th August. This will be weather dependant, and as I say is unconfirmed. However, if true, Iona mega blocks could be floated together in the dock soon after.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:55 PM, tartanexile81 said:

Just thought I'd share something with you that I've just been in contact with P&O about regarding Iona. 

One of our group has a mobility scooter which he doesn't usually take on cruises but we were looking at a port-intensive cruise so thought it could be useful some days ashore if we intend walking a lot. However, unlike all other ships where you can have a scooter in a mini-suite, we can only book an accessible cabin or a suite.  It seems unfair to have an adapted cabin because he has absolutely no need of one and also  seems unfair that we would be denying someone whose needs are far greater than his.  However if that's how it has to be that's how t will eb though it seems discriminatory and maybe a way of P&O limiting passengers by age. The question is who will fill all those cabins in January and February. 

Interesting decision by P&O and I certainly sympathise with you.  I wonder if access is restricted by a particularly narrow entrance into the mini-suite cabins?

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Interesting decision by P&O and I certainly sympathise with you.  I wonder if access is restricted by a particularly narrow entrance into the mini-suite cabins?

My partner has a very new all terrain scooter made of lightweight material and which folds up to the size of large suitcase. It can fit behind the front seat of our car! 

Edited by tartanexile81
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

My partner has a very new all terrain scooter made of lightweight material and which folds up to the size of large suitcase. It can fit behind the front seat of our car! 

Sadly not everyone has those and I know in the past that some less than considerate people have virtually blocked cabin corridors by leaving a scooter outside.  Obviously that was before P&O said they must all be stored in cabins.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Britboys said:

Sadly not everyone has those and I know in the past that some less than considerate people have virtually blocked cabin corridors by leaving a scooter outside.  Obviously that was before P&O said they must all be stored in cabins.

Having had a man on a mobility scooter rammed into my chair twice in the Crystal Room on Britannia and having seen the Dance Instructor have her foot run over 2 days before that I wonder if P&O are going to instruct users to take more care in what is pretty much a confined space.