Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have been there twice and have little reason to go again especially as you will now have to pay to get off the ship!. 

You've confused me with that sentence Dave, I've not heard of that before. Can you please explain what you mean ?

Avril

59 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Will this be bunkering from a barge, as they do for HFO and diesel, or will it be from road tankers?

Looking through various Google reports, unless you have a couple of hundred specially built road tankers,  refuelling will be done by barge or from onshore supply tanks.

11 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

I think Avril he’s talking about you can only get off the ship if you are on a ships excursion and cannot get off independently to wander around, I maybe wrong but I’m sure someone will correct me or advise 

Thanks Purdey, you're probably right now I think about It. Confused me a bit though, as the topic being discussed was one particular port and not ports in general. It's not hard to confuse me nowadays😁

Avril

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks Purdey, you're probably right now I think about It. Confused me a bit though, as the topic being discussed was one particular port and not ports in general. It's not hard to confuse me nowadays😁

Avril

Sorry about the confusion, I just felt compelled to add that bit 😕

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Iona reminds me of the TR7 - I'm sure some of you remember it

Triumph promised the coupe was “the shape of things to come” but, thankfully, it wasn’t. Its design was an odd mix between European and American styles with edgy and boxy shapes. When legendary Italian car designer Giorgetto Giugiaro first saw it in 1974, he walked around the car, paused for a moment, and said: “My god! They’ve done the same on this side as well.”

Not sure if Corona (sorry  Iona 2) will be any better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Nice music.

A little bit of Grieg - Peer Gynt.

Very apt since she is in Norway.  Last time we were in Bergen we went to his summer house on the tram and it is a very pleasant walk from the tram stop.  The house is in a lovely peaceful coastal location, though helped being off season.  Would not be quite the same going in summer, especially if on an excursion, but a  lot of very interesting stuff on display there.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tring said:

Very apt since she is in Norway.  Last time we were in Bergen we went to his summer house on the tram and it is a very pleasant walk from the tram stop.  The house is in a lovely peaceful coastal location, though helped being off season.  Would not be quite the same going in summer, especially if on an excursion, but a  lot of very interesting stuff on display there.

I love his sausage rolls,especially hot.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, tring said:

Indeed. One of the first Classical pieces I got to know. Only been to Bergen once and did the town and funicular. Grieg's house is on the list for my next visit, whenever that may be.

42 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is there a Greg's on Iona ?. That should confuse the Bergen folks when all the Iona passengers are walking around with Greg's bags.🤣

Not yet Zap but give it time... In the interim, the Iona pax will just have to wander around with their Grab & Go bags...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

I too wish there were more photos, especially of the inside.

I have however found this, in their port information guide. (Sorry you'll need to scroll down)

https://www.cruise-norway.no/viewfile.aspx?id=4652

Just did a search on Haugesund Images. Definitely looks like an 'excursion required' sort of a place...

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

Indeed. One of the first Classical pieces I got to know. Only been to Bergen once and did the town and funicular. Grieg's house is on the list for my next visit, whenever that may be.

It is quite doable by tram if able bodied, but it is a bit of a walk from the tram and slightly uphill - possibly about half a mile.  The important thing is that you do the research and know exactly where you are going or you would never find it.  I do not think I still have the instructions, but almost certainly got them through the destinations forums on this board.  We were either on Oriana to the Northern lights in late March or possibly Balmoral in early May.  In both cases it was about 5 years ago and I do not think there were any other cruise ships docked at the time.  The visit was very special though as there was only one other couple there when we went.  There was a member of staff who was happy to talk to us about Grieg and his life, so it was like having a personal guide.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Seeing as we would all like more on Iona, found this video whilst she was alongside in Haugesund.

Thanks for the video, that is a port on our Fjords cruise so interesting to see where she is docked as our only alternative may be an excursion, so may stay on the ship there.

One thing we are very confused with are the white mushroom shaped things on the top deck, are they sunshades, or perhaps ventilation ducts?

• Like 1