Cruise Critic Community
jaydee6969

Iona Construction ?

Another photo from the Odyssey FERU float in and tug removal.  Definately still as still wet in the dock, so hopefully the stern sections will start to be added this week.

Screenshot - 08_09_2019 , 12_36_25.jpg

A couple of photos from Meyer Weft, with stern hull sections being placed into position, and upper deck parts waiting to be lifted into place.

69905432_2365077520421999_7029030261295677440_o.jpg

68976088_2365077510422000_3814738253785858048_o.jpg

69677375_2365077523755332_3954122823147978752_o.jpg

That is some size ship and it's not even all of it.

How do you think Iona compares in length to the Norwegian one at #150.

49 minutes ago, emam said:

That is some size ship and it's not even all of it.

How do you think Iona compares in length to the Norwegian one at #150.

About 3m longer at 337m for Iona, and 334m for Encore.

Stumbled upon a German item on Iona, link below plus Google translated version.  Progress looks on track.

https://www.schiffe-und-kreuzfahrten.de/news/nach-verspaetung-der-aidanova-wird-po-iona-rechtzeitig-fertig/187863/?fbclid=IwAR3IYVYLT1biKVEEzszYamR3ynsGnoeKviUYBdTeYnj1BY1hItDo10V5EG0

AIDAnova was completed very late - will Meyer Werft P & O Iona be able to deliver on time? - the current status

At the shipyard at the beginning of September - The P & O Iona is already looking for a ship, the name is already there, but still overlapping, well above Io. It is difficult to estimate how long it will take to complete, too many factors are involved. With AIDAnova, Meyer Werft 2018 was able to deliver a ship much too late. She belongs to the Helios class, just like P & O Iona. 

But this time it is a little different, you are prepared for the possible eventualities. With AIDAnova you have made a type ship of the Helios class. It was also the world's first cruise ship to be 100% LNG-operated. You have gained experience with this class of ship. In the meantime, Meyer Werft was also able to compensate very well for the changeover from two to three newbuilds per year. 

It is currently a glimpse into the glass ball, if you want to say whether the P & O Iona will be delivered on time or too late. The construction has already made some milestones, everything seems to go according to plan, but a single fact already shows the big difference between the construction of the AIDAnova and the P & O Iona: the P & O Iona has its bridge compared to the construction phases between the two Ships were put on two months earlier. And although the bridge is one of the most complex units of a cruise ship. This is positive and is an indication that there will be no major delays in the second ship of the Helios class from the Papenburg Meyer shipyard. 

P & O Iona becomes the largest cruise ship for the P & O Cruises. It will be commissioned in the spring of 2020 and as mentioned, everything looks as if the deadline can be met. In 2022, the P & O Iona will get another sister ship, with these two new buildings P & O Cruises will be able to significantly increase its capacity. 

po-iona-werft-september-2019-odp37bt4grs75jdt7aigvab5ooazdx55uo7isc8tb6.jpg

Weekly Meyer Werft webcam update, along with another screen-grab showing stern progress.

2019_09_16_Halle_6_W466.jpg

Screenshot - 16_09_2019 , 11_11_32.jpg

Stern update photo found.  Pearl and Coral restaurant glazing, with the sunset bar above.

Screenshot - 19_09_2019 , 18_37_13.jpg

So is that the back of the ship. I can't see the promenade.

11 minutes ago, emam said:

So is that the back of the ship. I can't see the promenade.

Above the blue windows.

Thanks again for posting the pictures. Sadly, this doesn’t show the completed stern of the ship where our cabin is for the maiden. Maybe it isn’t quite done yet, I would prefer that they take their time and do a proper job on it!

Yes thank you Jaydee.

Does anyone know how soon before launch they generally release photos of the cabins and other interior areas?

There are renderings and showrooms images around of most cabin types but the real thing I'm not sure. I suspect it will be around when the ship starts sea trials. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:36 PM, jaydee6969 said:

Another stern shot with more decks added.

70712830_2400856460028269_693422912320831488_o.jpg

Jaydee, you seem to have good access to Meyerwerft, how about nudging them to provide regular weekly update webcam photos, the current one is now 2 weeks old?

I assumed that Jaydee is on holiday and hasn't been able to add more photos.  😊

Thank you both for replying.  Was indeed on holiday, just come back from an 8 day golf trip to Spain.

Sadly no inside contacts for me, just a bit of trawling around the web.  I assume they have been busy with the NCL ship this past week, and the Youtube channel I follow says he should have some new content shortly.

I have found this elsewhere, to keep us going.

71750929_10157141280968612_6055029844335394816_o.jpg

Thanks. We don't have any holidays planned on her, but I am enjoying seeing your photos.

Just found these on Instagram, not the greatest quality, but show the stern complete.

Screenshot - 09_10_2019 , 10_15_41.jpg

Screenshot - 09_10_2019 , 10_17_21.jpg