Meclizine in Gift Shop?

Geezlouise123

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I would definitely purchase Bonine before going on a cruise. The price of items in the shop is absurd.

I'd love to,  but they don't sell it in Canada and they don't sell it in the country where our cruise begins.  It's a good product, wish it was easier to find for us. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Geezlouise123 said:

I'd love to,  but they don't sell it in Canada and they don't sell it in the country where our cruise begins.  It's a good product, wish it was easier to find for us. 

Amazon.ca offers both Bonine and generic Meclizine.

You can get it at the front desk as others have said.

But the ship’s store (I am not one to push buying stuff on board) has a great product that goes behind your ear (drops).  totally homeopathic but it works great for DH.  

We found it in Canada after, but don’t sail without it.  Motion Ease is the name of it and DH swears by it.  As long as it solves his Mal de Mer problems, I’m good 😉  The other stuff makes one sleepy.  This doesn’t.

I purchased Meclizine 12.5mg scored caplets from Amazon and carry them with me in my toiletry kit.  The usual adult dose would be 25mg, but I'm really sensitive to the medication, so these work really well for me.  Best decision I ever made. 

If the captain's report seems like things may be choppy, I take half a pill--that way, I stave off any quick onset of discomfort and I can add to it if the seas worsen.  The theater used to be the worst place for me, but now, it can rock & roll all it wants and I feel great.

My son gets ill looking at a tub full of water and he didn't believe me that the Meclizine would work for him, but now that he follows directions, dosing at least 30 mins. before boarding a boat, he can go out on small boats for ocean fishing and come back bragging that he was the only one who didn't spend the trip puking over the side.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9BNJ6G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sounds like the Elemis aroma therapy product they offer in the Neptune Suites - the tube of temple balm:

From their website:

Motioneaze is all natural.  It is made from a proprietary Botanical Oil Blend [Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang-Ylang.

Edited by OlsSalt

My wife uses OHCruiser's half dose method in post #13 above, a full dose knocks her out. I would suggest trying a dose at home before your cruise to see how you handle the medication, some people experience unpleasant side effects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezlouise123 said:

Thank you all for such terrific suggestions.  I will check out the Motion Ease at the pharmacy today Kazu!  We don't usually have issues,  this is precautionary.  I loaned our ship kit to a friend and it came back with no Bonine.  

If it’s not at a pharmacy (it isn’t here) it will be at a travel store.  Cheaper to buy it here than on the ship. 😉 

DH raves about it and we have lent it to friends who also decided to buy some for their following cruises. 

On 1/18/2019 at 5:55 PM, aliaschief said:

I would definitely purchase Bonine before going on a cruise. The price of items in the shop is absurd.

You can get bottles of 100 tabs from Amazon for about $5. Much less expensive than Bonine and works just as well.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:10 PM, Geezlouise123 said:

Seems like I remember that Meclizine was available at the medical center, not sure.  I get generic Meclizine at the local pharmacy counter  for a few $$ for a bottle of 50 - a package of Bonine (12 tabs) on the shelf is the same price. Don't know if Canada has this distinction or not.....I take one each morning & evening for preventive purpose.