NYC to Orlando to Port Canaveral

gazgolf1

We will be cruising for the first time on Carnival Breeze in September from Port Canaveral and the week before we will be in NYC. Our plan is to fly down on the morning of the cruise, jump on a shuttle from the airport to the port hopefully getting to the ship around or before 1pm. Of course we will not know our embarkation time until later in the year.

Can anyone who has done this see any problems with it re flight delays, shuttle delays, roadworks etc?

All advice appreciated.

15 hours ago, gazgolf1 said:

We will be cruising for the first time on Carnival Breeze in September from Port Canaveral and the week before we will be in NYC. Our plan is to fly down on the morning of the cruise, jump on a shuttle from the airport to the port hopefully getting to the ship around or before 1pm. Of course we will not know our embarkation time until later in the year.

Can anyone who has done this see any problems with it re flight delays, shuttle delays, roadworks etc?

All advice appreciated.

Flight delays can occur for any reason, including aircraft issues, air traffic issues, and weather, especially in the height of hurricane season.

Construction and accidents can always be an issue between MCO and Port Canaveral.

With shuttles you are stuck to their schedule.

The best advice is don't even try it unless you are using cruise air to get from NYC to MCO.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:24 PM, gazgolf1 said:

All advice appreciated.

I can't believe that they did not tell you the embarkation time when you booked the cruise.   And remember that if you have to be on board 1 1/2 to 2 hours before the ship leaves at the latest.  Google says that it takes 41 minutes to get from the airport to the cruise port.  I would allow longer.  Then there is the possibility of flight delays, baggage pickup delays, waiting for the shuttle delays and accident / construction delays.  What time do you land in Orlando?  We actually had one transfer from our hotel to the airport where the taxi had a flat tire.  

A really bad idea in my opinion.  I always assume the worse and plan for it.  You are assuming the best and hoping for it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

17 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I can't believe that they did not tell you the embarkation time when you booked the cruise.   

Booked online and it says online check in is not until June 30, I thought that was just standard.

Flights not booked yet and we can change our hotel booking dates in NYC so we will be arriving in Orlando a day early.

Thats what these boards are all about, thanks for all the advice everyone.

Some cruise lines do give you a particular check in time in an effort to stagger the rush to board especially ,with the big mega ships . These staggered check in times are largely ignored . Just show up 4 or 5 hours before sailing ,and you should be fine.

I guess none of you sail Carnival..  Carnival does not allow online checkin until 60-90 days or so before sailing.  At that time, you can choose the time to be at the terminal for checkin.  If you arrive early, they will not let you into the terminal until your time, unless there is no line.  This is not boarding time, just checkin.  This staggered checkin procedure has been rolled out gradually for a couple or three years and is in effect at all terminals.  EM

1 hour ago, gazgolf1 said:

Booked online and it says online check in is not until June 30, I thought that was just standard.

Flights not booked yet and we can change our hotel booking dates in NYC so we will be arriving in Orlando a day early.

That's what these boards are all about, thanks for all the advice everyone.

The online check date is the date when you can fill in your boarding documents.  What you need to know the the ship departure time and you MUST be on board at least 2 hours before the departure time.  Your departure time will be on your reservation documents or you can look it up for your cruise on the Carnival site.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Sigh.  Bad info again.  If you have done online checkin, you must be checked in and onboard 60 minutes before sailaway time as that is when the manifest is submitted to DHS.  If you have not completed online checkin, you must be checked in 90 min. before sailaway.  EM

Absolutely.  But I really wouldn't cut it that close.  And after a certain time...maybe 2:30p the porters stop taking luggage, so you would have to drag it all onboard yourself.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom