So Sad. Grand Caymen substituted for Key West

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting.  We had quite the opposite experience when we were there.  Our shuttle got us into town in no time!  And we've had several weather and sea condition related delays when tendering to/from GC.

No experience is ever the same.  Just reporting my personal experience.  Then having to stop on the way back to check everyone's ID at the Navy gate.  

Sad seeing all the negative comments about ports. 

We have had things not go as planned many times over the years but we return and try again, seeing new things, doing different excursions and meeting a different group of locals. It is the diversity of the ports that make our cruise wonderful. 

Our next cruise had a Coco Cay stop that was replaced with a port I no longer exit the ship when docked at. Coco Cay is under construction and everything there can change all the way until it is finished in Dec '19. Yes, I have booked another cruise with it for later in the summer. It has not yet been canceled, will it? Who knows? I am glad it is getting all the upgrades. Sad at our change. But not downing any of our stops even the one that isn't my favorite. Every port has some folks that love it and some that don't. Just make memories and enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sandy toes said:

We have had things not go as planned many times over the years but we return and try again, seeing new things, doing different excursions and meeting a different group of locals. It is the diversity of the ports that make our cruise wonderful. 

Our next cruise had a Coco Cay stop that was replaced with a port I no longer exit the ship when docked at. Coco Cay is under construction and everything there can change all the way until it is finished in Dec '19. Yes, I have booked another cruise with it for later in the summer. It has not yet been canceled, will it? Who knows? I am glad it is getting all the upgrades. Sad at our change. But not downing any of our stops even the one that isn't my favorite. Every port has some folks that love it and some that don't. Just make memories and enjoy your cruise.

We agree, and absolutely get off in every port, always finding something new and interesting to do.  This is a new change that we won't get off in Belize...which is unusual for us.  It's a very long tender ride, and we have had nothing but bad luck in that port each and every time we go.  This dog has been bit enough....no more Belize for us.  😮 

7 hours ago, beardedwoman said:

I wasn't aware that the pier in Key West was damaged in December.  I just received an email from Royal stating that we will be stopping in George Town, Grand Caymen instead of Key West on our March 3rd sailing on the Empress.  So disappointed.  We've been to Grand Caymen before and wasn't impressed.   Oh well.  I guess we'll go with an open mind.  

Due to the accident there are now only 2 places for ships to dock in KW.   Unfortunately, there are 3 ships scheduled to be there on March 4th and it looks like you are the odd man out.    That being said, I find both ports are great, each for their own reasons.   Keeping an open mind will definitely help.

Steve

OP, I can understand your disappointment in not getting to stop in KW. It does suck when you book a cruise and the ports have to be changed. We were stationed in KW for 3 years and I would still want to go back. One of these days we will book a cruise with it as a port. Like someone else said it could be worse and it could be the Bahamas. Try to make the best of it and I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LovetheTXsun said:

Thank you for the Cemetary Beach suggestion.  Planning our second ever cruise and Jamaica & GC are throwing me for a loop.  

20 minute walk the other way gets you to Smith's Barcadere, which is a smaller beach but my favourite. A LOT less people there.  Great sand, fantastic water, some coral heads to snorkel too not far out.  They have washrooms and a shower (Cemetary does not) but no food and beverage services, other than the odd food truck that may stop by.  Grand Cayman is so busy.  Every tourist heads north to the beach or activities,  Grand Cayman to the south of Georgetown is like a different world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Two things:

Love Grand Cayman!  Would happily go there as replacement!

We are just off Rhapsody earlier this month, and indeed stopped at Key West (Military Dock) there was another cruise line ship at the downtown dock.  Did not observe any damage or reason why a ship could not stop there.  Damage done was minor and had been fixed.  

There is some other reason your itinerary was changed...not dock damage cause.  

The damage was done to one of the mooring dolphins at the Mallory pier berth. This has removed one of the pier berths until repairs can be made. Being a native conch, I can tell you that NOTHING gets done quickly in Key West.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

For me...Belize.  The one port we will no longer get off the ship.  

I have enjoyed Belize each time I have been there.  A beautiful natural place.  Great snorkeling, wonderful Mayan ruins, amazing rain forest.

56 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

20 minute walk the other way gets you to Smith's Barcadere, which is a smaller beach but my favourite. A LOT less people there.  Great sand, fantastic water, some coral heads to snorkel too not far out.  They have washrooms and a shower (Cemetary does not) but no food and beverage services, other than the odd food truck that may stop by.  Grand Cayman is so busy.  Every tourist heads north to the beach or activities,  Grand Cayman to the south of Georgetown is like a different world.

Thanks! Will have to check it out.  Either beach ~  seems like I need to look into places to eat around there too or head to the ship when we’re hungry.   

20 minute walk the other way gets you to Smith's Barcadere

to be honest, Smith's Cove(Barcadere) is about 1.4 miles from the tender landing area ...you might make that in 20 .....

A very nice smaller beach frequented by local folks .... there is a building with restrooms and a simple shower but no 'amenities' .  You'll find a few picnic tables, trees and sand (besides the wash house) http://caribya.com/georgetown/smiths.cove/

It is a great place for snork' esp'ly beginners but there is NO RENTAL GEAR.

best beach in the cayman islands

I like to taxi to Smith's and do my thing

MilestonePropertiesCaymanSouthSoundCove.jpg

then take a short walk to Sunset House and My Bar for libation (including food)

and ask them to call me a taxi ..... back to the tender landing

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

to be honest, Smith's Cove(Barcadere) is about 1.4 miles from the tender landing area ...you might make that in 20 .....

A very nice smaller beach frequented by local folks .... there is a building with restrooms and a simple shower but no 'amenities' .  You'll find a few picnic tables, trees and sand (besides the wash house) http://caribya.com/georgetown/smiths.cove/

20 minutes is at a good pace.  30 for other people for the walk.  Taxi will be about $5 per person each way.  Thought the walk would get me killed with the amount of traffic in Grand Cayman on the roads (from what I saw in the city and to the north of the city), but in the 20 minute walk, only a half dozen vehicles went by me.

Don't forget the local chickens and roosters which hang out under the trees at Smith's Cove.  Our first year there there were never over 15 people there all day with 3 ships in port.  The second time there with 4 ships in port, there were usually about 50 people there.  Tours kept stopping there, dropping people off to take a few photos, but were gone within 10 minutes each time.

I have heard good things about Sunset House.  Looks nice.  I will have to add that to the plan next time I go to G.C.

A warning for LovetheTXsun...food and drinks are expensive in G.C.  Just be prepared, or make your way back to the ship where you eat for free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

best beach in the cayman islands

MilestonePropertiesCaymanSouthSoundCove.jpg

Ahhh ~ these pics!  How beautiful.  Sunset House ~ will look up.  Thank you! 

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have enjoyed Belize each time I have been there.  A beautiful natural place.  Great snorkeling, wonderful Mayan ruins, amazing rain forest.

6 hours ago, island lady said:

For me...Belize.  The one port we will no longer get off the ship.  

Sorry you don’t find Belize desirable 😕~ we had a wonderful experience there! 

Tendered early, checked into our excursion to Goff’s Caye (cheap!) , shopped & took pics then had banana daiquiri’s in a little cabana bar hanging right over the water waiting for the rest of our group.  Took a boat ride (not incredibly pleasurable, but doable lol) to the tiny Caye.  Guided snorkeling, bbq/punch & hanging out in the water on little dollar store floats we brought along (small enough to inflate/deflate ourselves & store in tote) until our return ride back to port with time to spare.  More shopping then back to ship.  Good day! 😊

https://belizecruiseexcursions.com/excursion/sun-kissed-goffs-caye-beach-snorkeling-belize/

Have to say I was a little disappointed when we tendered to port ~ the water was so murky and brown!  But once we traveled away to Goff’s ~ crystal clear.

Edited by LovetheTXsun

Love Grand Cayman. Everytime we go  we reserve a rental car by the Port. Snorkel  behind a bar with our own gear for no additional cost. See the older gentleman in Hell. Routine never gets old and is  cheap compared to onboard ship excursions.

Edited by coaster

11 hours ago, DHADEN said:

We are scheduled to go to Key West on Feb 2nd cruise - be there on Feb. 7th.  Have not heard anything about NOT going there.

You might want to contact someone to find out the REAL reason for your change. 😉

That is the Real reason. I have a home in the the keys , the pier is damaged. They are docking 2 ships at the military port and shuttling people in. sounds like her ship as the third drew the short straw. 

13 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Apparently I have just had some really awful luck each time.  May try it again...but hesitant to do so.  

I've never been to KW so pardon my ignorance.  Google Maps shows Empress and HAL Nieuw Amsterdam docked near Mallory Square, where it looks like a very short walk to Duval Street.  I also see piers that look like they are part of the Coast Guard Base (part of NASKW??) off Mustin Street.  Is it one of the piers near Mallory Square that is damaged, requiring use of the Mustin St. piers on the CG base?  Inquiring minds...

20 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

.  Is it one of the piers near Mallory Square that is damaged, requiring use of the Mustin St. piers on the CG base? 

Yes, it was the pier right at Mallory Square where, unfortunately for the OP,  the Empress was docking on previous port stops. 

The other one you see is called Pier B, and it is still very close to Mallory, but it its own docking area.  It is just by the Margaritaville Resort, if you are looking at a KW map. 

The third is the military base, officially called the Outer Mole.  

https://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/department/calendar.php

Here is the ship schedule for KW - it is either not updated, or optimistic. I see ships scheduled to stop at the Mallory Square dock in Feb. 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've never been to KW so pardon my ignorance.  Google Maps shows Empress and HAL Nieuw Amsterdam docked near Mallory Square, where it looks like a very short walk to Duval Street.  I also see piers that look like they are part of the Coast Guard Base (part of NASKW??) off Mustin Street.  Is it one of the piers near Mallory Square that is damaged, requiring use of the Mustin St. piers on the CG base?  Inquiring minds...

Bob,

BC4C docked at the port on the military base.  Then we were shuttled to the 3K run/1K walk through Key West.  You should have stayed on the ship for that cruise.  We wouldn't have thrown you off 🙂  Unfortunately we are not porting in Key West this year.  We had a blast at Sloppy Joe's after the run/walk.  

23 hours ago, sandy toes said:

I wish more people had this attitude. Sure it can be a bummer when you planned out your day. Why some people let it ruin everything is beyond me. There's always something to do. Freeport wasn't my favorite. However, I already have new things lined up for the next time I go there.