VTcruising Is Living On The Edge Again: The LIVE Saga Continues (1/20/19)

vtcruising

Marilyn, you made the right decision to “get out of Dodge” when you did! The weather situation here in the NE is pretty depressing. Wishing we were back on the Edge... 😉

Relax, enjoy yourself,  have a glass of wine and remember those of us who will be there with you in spirit. ❤️

Edited by C-Dragons

3 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Can’t wait to follow along with you and your DH on your latest adventure, Marilyn. I hope you have a wonderful voyage😊 Cheers!  - Michelle

Thanks, Michelle! I will be toasting you tomorrow night! 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Marilyn, you made the right decision to “get out of Dodge” when you did! The weather situation here in the NE is pretty depressing. Wishing we were back on the Edge... 😉

Relax, enjoy yourself,  have a glass of wine and remember those of us who will be there with you in spirit. ❤️

We have been watching the weather in VT and it is -6 and snowing - maybe 24 inches. It was 78 degrees and sunny here today and felt soooo good to sit on the beach!

Will have a glass in your honor.  Wish you guys were all here too - we would take over the ship! 😊

We had a lovely day here in Fort Lauderdale - 78 and sunny. We laid by the pool after our free buffet breakfast (fairly good choices) and then walked to the beach (about 5 minute walk to the public beach).

image.thumb.png.b7061aaf99c3c9a40b9a78c5c17a8a6c.png

image.thumb.png.95b31a790d3a3804c31815aa9e0bcd31.png

We had lunch at the Naked Crab, which has outside seating near the beach. The food was excellent - DH had the fresh-caught blackened mahi mahi and I had the best crab cake I've ever had. The bartender makes a mean golden margarita so I had to go inside and high five him. 🙂

A couple that we have cruised with a few times who now live in FL, drove down to spend some time with us in the afternoon and evening. They met us at the Naked Crab and ordered drinks and lunch and we continued to spend another delightful couple of hours there. Our waiter, Raymond, was superb and even stayed past his shift to take care of us.

We had heard about the mermaid show at the Wreck Bar (next to the Naked Crab) from the cab driver who I thought was going to murder us. There is a deep pool with windows below the water so that people can watch the mermaid show every Sat and Sun night. This has been going on since the 50's and they have kept the place pretty retro. We snagged the last 4 seats for the 10:00 show and then went back to our hotel to freshen up.

The mermaid show is like nothing I have ever seen - women dressed as mermaids swimming underwater and doing flips, etc. It was a bit burlesque and pretty surreal, but we laughed and clapped and got into the spirit of things.

image.thumb.png.d30a0763a5a355a51442b195cefbf15a.png

A lovely day, but we are now ready for some Edge!!

Our friends want to drive us to the port in the morning. Does anyone know of any reason why they can't drop us off?  Thanks for any advice. 🙂

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We had a lovely day here in Fort Lauderdale - 78 and sunny. We laid by the pool after our free buffet breakfast (fairly good choices) and then walked to the beach (about 5 minute walk to the public beach).

image.thumb.png.b7061aaf99c3c9a40b9a78c5c17a8a6c.png

image.thumb.png.95b31a790d3a3804c31815aa9e0bcd31.png

We had lunch at the Naked Crab, which has outside seating near the beach. The food was excellent - DH had the fresh-caught blackened mahi mahi and I had the best crab cake I've ever had. The bartender makes a mean golden margarita so I had to go inside and high five him. 🙂

A couple that we have cruised with a few times who now live in FL, drove down to spend some time with us in the afternoon and evening. They met us at the Naked Crab and ordered drinks and lunch and we continued to spend another delightful couple of hours there. Our waiter, Raymond, was superb and even stayed past his shift to take care of us.

We had heard about the mermaid show at the Wreck Bar (next to the Naked Crab) from the cab driver who I thought was going to murder us. There is a deep pool with windows below the water so that people can watch the mermaid show every Sat and Sun night. This has been going on since the 50's and they have kept the place pretty retro. We snagged the last 4 seats for the 10:00 show and then went back to our hotel to freshen up.

The mermaid show is like nothing I have ever seen - women dressed as mermaids swimming underwater and doing flips, etc. It was a bit burlesque and pretty surreal, but we laughed and clapped and got into the spirit of things.

image.thumb.png.d30a0763a5a355a51442b195cefbf15a.png

A lovely day, but we are now ready for some Edge!!

Our friends want to drive us to the port in the morning. Does anyone know of any reason why they can't drop us off?  Thanks for any advice. 🙂

Just show your check in paper with the security and they will let you in to the port.

Everyone needs to show their paper in order to get into the port area.

Edited by verizon

Tell your friends to be sure to bring photo IDs to the port! Once we were also being dropped off by friends, and the wife left her purse at home for such a short trip. The port officials did NOT want to admit the car.

Even though they weren’t sailing, they needed the ID to drive into the port - everyone in the car.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Marilyn, I loved your photo of the Mermaid Bar. I think that locale was in the Classic Fort Lauderdale movie, “Where the Boys Are,” which was made probably in the early 1960s.

You are a “traveler’s traveler” - so smart of you to pre-emptively change your flights!  Have a great cruise. Look forward to hearing all about it!

5 minutes ago, BridgeMates said:

Hi Marilyn, someone on another thread says they've picked up the pace on activities on the Edge.

Will be looking for your opinion along this line (music, trivia etc.....).

I think they have too. The app shows so many things that look interesting! I am excited to see if the app matches the dailies this time. 😉

13 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

The mermaid bar and the mermaids would fit into Eden perfectly. 🤣

Yes, I must say it was very interesting - can check it off my bucket list. The mermaids are quite athletic, or as my friend said, very healthy-looking...:classic_blush:

I am going back to Eden and get to know the peeps. I'm making it my mission (after I take care of the Presto speaker).

Edited by vtcruising

58 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Marilyn, I loved your photo of the Mermaid Bar. I think that locale was in the Classic Fort Lauderdale movie, “Where the Boys Are,” which was made probably in the early 1960s.

You are a “traveler’s traveler” - so smart of you to pre-emptively change your flights!  Have a great cruise. Look forward to hearing all about it!

I had heard it was from a movie, but didn't know which one. Thanks for letting me know. It was quite the experience! My DH will be talking about this for years!! Anytime, he complains about anything on this trip, I will say "remember the mermaid show!"

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Tell your friends to be sure to bring photo IDs to the port! Once we were also being dropped off by friends, and the wife left her purse at home for such a short trip. The port officials did NOT want to admit the car.

Even though they weren’t sailing, they needed the ID to drive into the port - everyone in the car.

Thanks! That's what I thought - they both said they have photo ID. We will go early and if we get kicked out, we'll go back and get a cab. 🙂