VTcruising Is Living On The Edge Again: The LIVE Saga Continues (1/20/19)

vtcruising

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are back from the EDGE!

Visited with grandma in Pembroke Pines...then drove back to the West coast.

I will start my review this week..It's not going to be comprehensive like Vt and others, but I  will try to focus on the EDGE  AQ class experience, Sailaway,  cabin crawl, where we ate, shows we saw, shopping on board, our two great excursions on Tortola and St Maarten, plus the Inside Access Tour onboard.........just some recaps and observations with a few photos mixed in...

For now we are keeping the Nov Sunset Veranda booking to ABC islands....so I guess that means we liked the ship enough and definitely had a great cruise!

Hcat, welcome home and look forward to your review/comments especially your feelings about traveling in AQ as we will do the same April 7th.  

Love the necklace, Katie

I've been holding off writing my review until I can resolve my ambiguities about Edge.  Liked the cruise overall, but feel that the many design flaws [all of which were spotted here before the ship was even built] reduce the appeal of E-class for us.  OTOH we don't dread the Revolution like some posters on other threads – when we return to Celebrity it will probably be in a CS on an M-class ship.

3 hours ago, hcat said:

We are back from the EDGE!

Visited with grandma in Pembroke Pines...then drove back to the West coast.

I will start my review this week..It's not going to be comprehensive like Vt and others, but I  will try to focus on the EDGE  AQ class experience, Sailaway,  cabin crawl, where we ate, shows we saw, shopping on board, our two great excursions on Tortola and St Maarten, plus the Inside Access Tour onboard.........just some recaps and observations with a few photos mixed in...

For now we are keeping the Nov Sunset Veranda booking to ABC islands....so I guess that means we liked the ship enough and definitely had a great cruise!

Glad you made it home safely!! In the last week since getting home, we have had snowstorms, below zero weather almost every day and tonight an ice storm for my drive home from work. The Edge cruise feels like a distant memory. Really looking forward to Spring or the Flower Power Cruise in March (on the Infinity), whichever comes first. 🙂

I can't wait to hear your perspective on the ship, AQ and all of your adventures onboard! 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I've been holding off writing my review until I can resolve my ambiguities about Edge.  Liked the cruise overall, but feel that the many design flaws [all of which were spotted here before the ship was even built] reduce the appeal of E-class for us.  OTOH we don't dread the Revolution like some posters on other threads – when we return to Celebrity it will probably be in a CS on an M-class ship.

For me, writing the review helped me sort out my thoughts about the Edge. Though there were flaws, there were things about the ship that I really want to experience again or things I didn't get to do that I want to experience, so I feel drawn back. The cruise I booked is a year away so I've got time to see what the prices do and what X does to correct things that are correctable.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the M Class will be better after the Revolution and crossing my fingers for my beloved S Class. 🙂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vtcruising said:
18 hours ago, vtcruising said:

In the last week since getting home, we have had snowstorms, below zero weather almost every day and tonight an ice storm for my drive home from work. The Edge cruise feels like a distant memory. Really looking forward to Spring or the Flower Power Cruise in March (on the Infinity), whichever comes first. 🙂

Back to the freezing cold and the grind. What a shock. 😩

You are a wealth of information. I never heard of the Flower Power Cruise and looked it up.  Oh my goodness. So many amazing performers. Love Melanie and Tommy James.  All the rooms are booked I see. Will you be doing a live cruise recap?  

1 hour ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Back to the freezing cold and the grind. What a shock. 😩

You are a wealth of information. I never heard of the Flower Power Cruise and looked it up.  Oh my goodness. So many amazing performers. Love Melanie and Tommy James.  All the rooms are booked I see. Will you be doing a live cruise recap?  

Oh, wish you could go!  We are on the waiting list (in case a suite or better cabin pops up) that is sent out every Tuesday night. They do have an available cabin popping up from time to time. This cruise was almost totally sold out at the end of the FPC last year. It was sold out completely about 2 weeks after the cruise, if I remember correctly.

We were in a CS the first time and AQ last time and both were wonderful. We met a fun couple last year in Blu and ate together almost every night - we are in AQ again and so are they, so it should be fun. We have been communicating all year and getting excited. We have been collecting our cabin decorations and hippie clothes.... Can't wait!

Here is my thread from last year. I plan to do one this year - there isn't a lot of free time since there is so much to see and do, but will do my best. ✌️

Edited by vtcruising

Thanks for the info. I’ll definately go back and read it. I never did this type of cruise but it looks like so much fun. In 97, we sailed Royal Majesty,  and once on board, found out the Drifters were on it. Well their shows were fabulous and I bought the tape (back then it was still a tape).  Although the musicians were older, they were still so entertaining and of. course we know all the words. I’m so excited for you. So where do you hear about all these special cruises ?  

We booked NCL getaway Feb 24 to March 3 so would not be able to join this cruise anyway. But maybe next year. We are enjoying all the reviews and  also researching the Apex. Best to you both. 😍😍😍😍

39 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll definately go back and read it. I never did this type of cruise but it looks like so much fun. In 97, we sailed Royal Majesty,  and once on board, found out the Drifters were on it. Well their shows were fabulous and I bought the tape (back then it was still a tape).  Although the musicians were older, they were still so entertaining and of. course we know all the words. I’m so excited for you. So where do you hear about all these special cruises ?  

We booked NCL getaway Feb 24 to March 3 so would not be able to join this cruise anyway. But maybe next year. We are enjoying all the reviews and  also researching the Apex. Best to you both. 😍😍😍😍

It is the best cruise because the music is so amazing and everyone is there for the music. The canned music throughout the ship is from the 60's and 70's so everyone is humming and singing all of the old songs. A lot of the guests are in our age range, though many people bring their adult children (no kids < 18 allowed) and we met a lot of younger people who just love that era. We all seem to get along - peace and love reigns!

There are usually 3 big concerts/day and several smaller performances in the smaller venues. Some guests bring their guitars and sing and strum at breakfast or lunch and others join in. There are wonderful lectures by experts (such as a world-renowned Beatles expert and the head curator at the Woodstock Museum), Q+A's with the performers, wine tastings and vow renewals with some performers, trivia, karaoke, lots of theme parties with costumes, opportunities to meet the performers and get autographs, etc.

We heard about the first one in 2016 (maybe an ad on a music channel?) and knew we had to go (our first date was a concert by one of the bands that played). This will be our third one. This is the website. They also have Malt Shop, 70's Rock and Romance, Soul, Country Music cruises.

https://flowerpowercruise.com/

Maybe next year!! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

On 2/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, vtcruising said:

For me, writing the review helped me sort out my thoughts about the Edge. Though there were flaws, there were things about the ship that I really want to experience again or things I didn't get to do that I want to experience, so I feel drawn back. The cruise I booked is a year away so I've got time to see what the prices do and what X does to correct things that are correctable.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the M Class will be better after the Revolution and crossing my fingers for my beloved S Class. 🙂

Have read through  this thread from where we left off.  Review is so  well written. I agree that doing a review  helps organize thoughts and plans for a return cruise.  We did not get to try everything we wanted to in just 7 days..esp with the Sailaway events, Cruise Critic party and Cabin crawl on the first 2 days, 2 ports that we went off ship ( skipped San Juan)  and a whole new ship to explore!  Glad we have the 9 day in Nov.

Thanks  to everyone who added  their observations/ opinions...I think  all together, we are writing the "Everything Edge" book!

We came home with nasty head colds..feeling better now so  I may start  my 1/27  cruise review later today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

Have read through  this thread from where we left off.  Review is so  well written. I agree that doing a review  helps organize thoughts and plans for a return cruise.  We did not get to try everything we wanted to in just 7 days..esp with the Sailaway events, Cruise Critic party and Cabin crawl on the first 2 days, 2 ports that we went off ship ( skipped San Juan)  and a whole new ship to explore!  Glad we have the 9 day in Nov.

Thanks  to everyone who added  their observations/ opinions...I think  all together, we are writing the "Everything Edge" book!

We came home with nasty head colds..feeling better now so  I may start  my 1/27  cruise review later today.

I hope you feel better soon! 🙂

On 2/5/2019 at 8:30 AM, parrothead33 said:

Marilyn, just a quick note to thank you for your review of Maya Chan.  After reading about your experience (and others) my friend and I are booked for our sailing on Edge in November. 

Thanks again.

Kym

I hope you have a wonderful day there!  It is such a special place.

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, us again of the speaker fame !

Just wondering if you had heard any comments re the SV cabins on Edge

I have only heard positive comments on them so far. The ones that I saw were awesome. We booked one for next January! 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, us again of the speaker fame !

Just wondering if you had heard any comments re the SV cabins on Edge

I saw a post today that said the outside EDGE speakers were  in use,   but nothing about the  noise effects, if any, in cabins above or nearby.  We visited a SV corner  suite and a reg  SV on our cabin crawl...both were quite awesome,,, enjoyed our Inf Veranda but looking forward to a real balc again!

Just plan to enjoy and bring an i pod with headphones,,,just in case!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maggie.1008 said:

Are there any reviews about the S3 cabins ? I am interested how the Magic Carpet impacted their cruise. Noise, Ect. 

Thanks, Katie, for pointing those reviews out. I hadn't read those yet.  🙂

Also, here are two reviews from the Edge cabin info sticky. Surprisingly, neither had noise issues related to the MC. They were up high enough (on 11 and 12) that the MC impacted their view some when parked on 14 (you can see pictures in these reviews).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/?do=findComment&amp;comment=56713553

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/?do=findComment&amp;comment=56727035

These are some pictures from the S3 I saw - 11168 (one of the middle S3s). I also visited one of the end ones on 12.

image.thumb.png.52f24b4a389aa75cca50d1b51dc69a86.png

image.thumb.png.c51c82d3bb70d8e582b237042e5b08eb.png

Were you thinking of a particular one? I personally would book one on 8 or 9 so that the MC isn't too close when it is on 5 or 14. I liked the middle ones because the view seemed a bit better without the MC rail right next to you and that big orange box wasn't on your balcony, but I really liked the window on the end ones and could probably get used to the orange box (though maybe lose some privacy with that window). I can see benefits of both, but think I liked the middle one a little better.

Edited by vtcruising

On 2/7/2019 at 9:08 PM, vtcruising said:

I have only heard positive comments on them so far. The ones that I saw were awesome. We booked one for next January! 🙂

We'll let you know about ours in Nov.    We are low down on DECK 7 over EDEN..still hoping to enjoy it!  The  SVs we saw on our cabin crawl were very nice!  The corner suites were even nicer but we'll be happy with ours,

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

We'll let you know about ours in Nov.    We are low down on DECK 7 over EDEN..still hoping to enjoy it!  The  SVs we saw on our cabin crawl were very nice!  The corner suites were even nicer but we'll be happy with ours,

I actually may move ours down to 7 in the middle - they look to be the biggest balconies and our friends who had an S1 on 7 loved it - no noise or issues with Eden. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

image.thumb.png.85b706efc97fa72dd424edb2a1c4dc70.png

We are looking forward to  trying the 4 mdrs..res already made.  Looking into a thermal suite pass as we won't have that perk in a non AQ cabin!  And  we will  probably  go to the Elite breakfast  as well without BLU.

dh fell in love with the corner aft suite but  it  is beyond our budget at this pt esp fir a 9 night cruise

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:35 AM, hcat said:

I saw a post today that said the outside EDGE speakers were  in use,   but nothing about the  noise effects, if any, in cabins above or nearby.  We visited a SV corner  suite and a reg  SV on our cabin crawl...both were quite awesome,,, enjoyed our Inf Veranda but looking forward to a real balc again!

Just plan to enjoy and bring an i pod with headphones,,,just in case!

Now moving to a SV cabin for August.

VERY excited now

Just so excited that we want to let everyone who has been on 'this journey' know our good news !!!!

You've been so helpful - thank you

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 12:19 PM, vtcruising said:

We went for breakfast at Le Grand Bistro - wish we had done it before. Absolutely amazing! It is $10 PP. They make fresh crepes and made one for me similar to the Italian from Bistro on 5. The eggs were unbelievable. Met Mr and Mrs Bill there and had a fun breakfast.

image.thumb.png.9e9f5d357e1855fe4fd4223f94a9109f.png

vt - per chance do you, or anyone else, know what the 'egg substitute' is? Is this an egg like replacement or something which might (remote chance, I Am sure) be vegan in nature???

Thanks - bon appetite and bon voyage