Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
vanelli56

Oasis propulsion problem speculation?

Recommended Posts

Not to raise any alarms,  but we are on the current oasis cruise, post noro scare 2019.... and I have noticed a couple things in the last 12 hours.  

But first we have to back up 24 hours. 

Friday, we were supposed to be at sea all day, well we woke up in San Juan PR. This was for a medical emergency for a crew member.  Not sure what happened,  but the captain said they were in good condition.  

With that,  we were a little off schedule,  but were projected to still get into port Canaveral on time. When I looked in Friday,  we were full speed at about 21 knots. So, all seems well.....

Now.... here's where my speculation starts.  Early today before breakfast,  checking our stats, we are only at about 18 knots. Curious, but I ignore it. 

At lunch,  captain gives us an update and says we're going to be slightly late,  maaaayyybe an hour or so. Also, i don't think much of it. 

Now, fast forward to 630pm.... right after a lovely dinner at 150CP, DW and i head to the walking track to catch last light before dark.  As we make our way to the back of the boat, the port side stair hand rails from the track to deck six, are shaking like crazy! Been on the track all week,  never saw this before.  Continuing around to the rear, and look down... two strong wakes/chop from the center and starboard azipods/  props.... port side... hardly anything!!!

Putting all those items together,  I think the port prop/azipod may have an issue.  

If I remember correctly,  I think both the oasis and allure have had prop problems in the past. I wonder if it's happened again? 

 

Once again,  no confirmation... just observation and deduction.  We are still moving ahead like normal and can't feel anything mid ship. So, guess we'll just have to wait and see if anything comes of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, vanelli56 said:

Not to raise any alarms,  but we are on the current oasis cruise, post noro scare 2019.... and I have noticed a couple things in the last 12 hours.  

But first we have to back up 24 hours. 

Friday, we were supposed to be at sea all day, well we woke up in San Juan PR. This was for a medical emergency for a crew member.  Not sure what happened,  but the captain said they were in good condition.  

With that,  we were a little off schedule,  but were projected to still get into port Canaveral on time. When I looked in Friday,  we were full speed at about 21 knots. So, all seems well.....

Now.... here's where my speculation starts.  Early today before breakfast,  checking our stats, we are only at about 18 knots. Curious, but I ignore it. 

At lunch,  captain gives us an update and says we're going to be slightly late,  maaaayyybe an hour or so. Also, i don't think much of it. 

Now, fast forward to 630pm.... right after a lovely dinner at 150CP, DW and i head to the walking track to catch last light before dark.  As we make our way to the back of the boat, the port side stair hand rails from the track to deck six, are shaking like crazy! Been on the track all week,  never saw this before.  Continuing around to the rear, and look down... two strong wakes/chop from the center and starboard azipods/  props.... port side... hardly anything!!!

Putting all those items together,  I think the port prop/azipod may have an issue.  

If I remember correctly,  I think both the oasis and allure have had prop problems in the past. I wonder if it's happened again? 

 

Once again,  no confirmation... just observation and deduction.  We are still moving ahead like normal and can't feel anything mid ship. So, guess we'll just have to wait and see if anything comes of it. 

Most likely your Imagination running wild...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, time4u2go said:

Well Oasis is going 2.2 knots as of 2 minutes ago so....maybe not.

It's currently showing 21.4 knots on MarineTraffic dot com  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyron said:

It's currently showing 21.4 knots on MarineTraffic dot com  

I see that now...a few minutes ago it showed 2.2 knots...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I see that now...a few minutes ago it showed 2.2 knots...

Nope, been 21+ quite a while...hrs

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope, been 21+ quite a while...hrs

I understand, it's just that this is what I saw, which is no doubt in error:image.png.b4ad48bf76019ccd3ece8d74d22de94a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I understand, it's just that this is what I saw, which is no doubt in error:image.png.b4ad48bf76019ccd3ece8d74d22de94a.png

No problem, site glitch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked again as well.... showing almost 22 knots.  

 

Carry on.... nothing to see here... just a series of coiencedents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ship faced said:

If not to raise alarms, I don't understand the purpose of the original post.

To share information and see if anyone had noticed the same or heard anything else.  So, the question applies more to your post... if you don't have anything to add... what's the purpose of your post? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add, I am sitting on our balcony in Cocoa Beach, waiting for the inbound ship parade to begin, and only a Carnival ship can be seen. No Oasis, who is usually the first to be seen at our location, around this time. 

 

5:32 am

 

It is a bit unusual. 

 

Edited by audome78
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vanelli56 said:

To share information and see if anyone had noticed the same or heard anything else.  So, the question applies more to your post... if you don't have anything to add... what's the purpose of your post? 

Don't pay attention to the trolls. A lot of mean people on this board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could have been quite a few things.  Most of the oil filters on azipods have small magnetic particle alarms that warn when metal shavings from the bearings are present in the oil.  They would typically shut the pod down to inspect the "chip detector" to see if it was significant or even a false alarm (fairly common).  Then they would have restarted it and all would be well.  It could have been a temperature sensor in the problematic thrust bearing, again, a slowdown or shutdown to check it out, and then restarted.  It probably happens more than folks know about, its just that on a normal itinerary, the speed is not needed, so it can happen and not affect the arrival timing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

curious picture to use to show OASIS position as that's the wrong pier/terminal ... and not OASIS .... I realize the sat' feed on these sites is not 'real time', but usually they come up with the correct location!

 

but PC webcam shows OASIS at t-1 currently ... right where they should be .. as does marine traffic

 

 

oasis.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Looks like all is well as of 7am....

Just realize that that site uses location based on projected schedule and not real time data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Looks like all is well as of 7am....

 

Current position Oasis of the Seas Ship s position.png

 

That is a picture of the Queen Victoria at T10.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

curious picture to use to show OASIS position as that's the wrong pier/terminal ... and not OASIS .... I realize the sat' feed on these sites is not 'real time', but usually they come up with the correct location!

 

but PC webcam shows OASIS at t-1 currently ... right where they should be .. as does marine traffic

 

41 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Just realize that that site uses location based on projected schedule and not real time data.



DOH!  That's what I get for just pulling up the first tracker I googled, and not looking more closely!  

Can I claim not-enough-caffeine as a legal defense????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a picture of the Queen Victoria at T10.  

 

that is QV at T-10 today but as I mentioned the image is not 'real time'

 

for example, AIS data shows QV is facing EAST while your image shows a vessel facing WEST (Carn' vessel atho technically Cunard IS Carnival) as illustrated in my screen dump from Marine Traffic

 

port webcam a minute ago

QV.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to raise any alarms??? You are posting on a public forum and speculating on something you know absolutely nothing about. Of course it's going to worry people with upcoming sailings on Oasis. And, and in all likelihood it is completely unnecessary. I am one of those people. At first, reading your post worried me just a little. Thankfully 1.) Chengkp weighed in and 2.) all is well this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...