1 month to go....Have to cancel :"-(

BopRN

😭We are booked on a B2B on Allure in February and just found out my husband has to have a 2nd spine surgery 2 weeks from now! As disappointed as I am, it is more important for my husband to be out of pain!  So my question.....before I start this process, do any of you have words of wisdom from experiences you have had. We DO have travel insurance thru insuremytripdotcom which includes pre-existing condition coverage. At the time we booked last May, he was scheduled for the 1st spine surgery but was able to travel at that time. We booked thru an on-line cruise travel website and have non-refundable deposits on both cruises. Do I cancel the cruise first with the travel agent or first confirm the coverage with the insurance company? Not sure how to begin the process. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, BopRN said:

Penalty from whom? Insurance company? 

Yes the insurance company.

For example,

you find out that that you need to cancel your cruise when you are in the 75% penalty period.  You delay telling the insurance company and when you finally do tell them you are now in the 100% penalty phase.  If the insurance company finds out that you unreasonably delayed informing them they may only pay out 75% of the claim since that’s what they would have paid had you promptly informed them of the cancellation.

I had to cancel once and the cruise line was very kind, they worked with me and we moved my cruise to another sail date. I was about 2 months out. Your TA will be your best 1st call. Did you book insurance via TA or on your own? If with TA, they should help you will all of that too. IOf on your own, AFTER you talk with your TA, call the insurance group and file the claim. ASAP for any difference.

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You need to cancel as soon as you find out.  Being a month out you are only in a penalty phase.  If you do not cancel promptly and the insurance company finds out then you could be liable for some if the costs if the penalty increases.

At one month out, they are already in the 100% penalty phase.

That said, cancel your cruise and call your insurance company. Unless you used a TA. Then call him/her and let them handle things for you. Good luck with your husband's surgery. I recently had spinal surgery myself, so I know the challenges. Wishing you both all the best.

Edited by payitforward

1 hour ago, payitforward said:

At one month out, they are already in the 100% penalty phase.

That said, cancel your cruise and call your insurance company. Unless you used a TA. Then call him/her and let them handle things for you. Good luck with your husband's surgery. I recently had spinal surgery myself, so I know the challenges. Wishing you both all the best.

The OP said 1 month.  Many people use 1 month as an approximate time.

It's also possible the OP booked the cruise a while ago and final penalty phase is not until 15 days before sailing. 

Final penalty phase is 30 days from sailing.  It is a possibility that the OP said a month when in fact they were just over a month, hence the need to cancel quickly and not delay.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The OP said 1 month.  Many people use 1 month as an approximate time.

It's also possible the OP booked the cruise a while ago and final penalty phase is not until 15 days before sailing. 

Final penalty phase is 30 days from sailing.  It is a possibility that the OP said a month when in fact they were just over a month, hence the need to cancel quickly and not delay.

My apologies. I was incorrect. I was thinking of final payment at 90 days prior and forgot there was still a cascading penalty at that stage. One of those days I guess. OP, here's what it would be on your sailings.

Capture.PNG

Edited by payitforward

5 minutes ago, payitforward said:

My apologies. I was incorrect. I was thinking of final payment at 90 days prior and forgot there was still a cascading penalty at that stage. Here's what it would be on Allure.

Capture.PNG

No worries.

Depending on when you booked it could be even more lenient terms.  This is for our upcoming March Symphony cruise.

70936437-34F0-4888-B881-74E42EA08F5A.png

• Like 1

Call your TA and your insurance company. When we had to do this, the insurance Company was helpful in guiding us through the process. 

Best of of luck to you and your husband. I hope the surgery goes well and your husband recovers quickly. 

We had travel insurance. So the penalty phase did not affect us as we were two weeks out, had a house fire and lost our passports in it.  We were charged $50 each, after we supplied a letter from the fire marshall, would be the doctor in your case.  If you don't have insurance, please follow the above advice, wish you well.