Pranks at sea

VanNess

On our last cruise on Enchantment, we had a "cruise virgin" with us, and let me start by saying that he is SUPER naieve(sp).

The same guy, had been told for months that he had to behave, and not get on our nerves or we would throw him overboard. Well on the last night, right after dinner, we were all meeting up on deck to discuss disembarkation plans for the next morning. Our entire group was in on the scheme. As we all gathered, we walked up to him, and two of us guys suddenly grabbed him by the arms and legs and headed for the rail. He literally had a fit, and suddenly "had" to return to his cabin for a few minutes! (if ya get my drift)"

I debated whether to write this or not and have to. Your prank was very mean spirited. That was not the least bit funny what you did to your "friend". Innocent pranks can sometimes lead to serious consequences. Denice

ok, I almost hate to admit to this. We are 3 couples who cruise together every year. I don't know who thought of it but, we all brought those "Billy Bob" teeth. On formal night at dinner we all put the menus up and put our teeth in. When the waiter took the 1st persons order he couldn't stop laughing. It continued around the table. I think all the waiters in the dining room came to our table that night. Then we went to have a formal photo taken. We turned our back to place our teeth in and then looked at the photographer. He nearly fell down laughing! And we are all adults?!

Meg

On a three day cruise, one couple in our group celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary by renewing their vows onboard the ship before sailaway. (thats why we were all on the cruise...about 20 of us) They asked us to dress in 70's/'80's attire for the ceremony. (She wore her original wedding gown (gawd I hated her....LOL) and he wore a replica of his BROWN tuxedo...lol).

Each night we dressed in theme. On formal night our theme was "Pimps & Hoes" (all the guys were dressed in loud suits, with hats and gawdy jewerly...and the ladies...well you can imagine what they wore...LOL)

Anyway, to get to the prank....On the last night, our theme was TOGA. As we were leaving our cabins, or walking around deck before dinner wearing our togas, people would ask us why we were wearing them. So we would tell people..."Didn't you see it listed in the Cruise Compass?" No, they would say. So we would tell them that there was a mistake and that everyone should have gotten a "memo" with an update telling them that tonight was toga night. I kid you not, some people fell for it and throughout the night we would see other people wearing togas made from sheets off their beds. I'll bet you there were about 20-30 other people wearing togas that night that weren't in our group!

I debated whether to write this or not and have to. Your prank was very mean spirited. That was not the least bit funny what you did to your "friend". Innocent pranks can sometimes lead to serious consequences. Denice

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that some of these pranks are mean spirited and inappropriate. I'm not wet blanket and most of the pranks reported here are pretty darn funny (love the teeth--what a hoot!). Those don't get the laugh at the expense of embarrassing or hurting the feelings of others. A prank that relies on one person humiliating another isn't a prank, IMO.

beachchick

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that some of these pranks are mean spirited and inappropriate. I'm not wet blanket and most of the pranks reported here are pretty darn funny (love the teeth--what a hoot!). Those don't get the laugh at the expense of embarrassing or hurting the feelings of others. A prank that relies on one person humiliating another isn't a prank, IMO.

beachchick

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was alone in my thinking.

I'm right there with you, Denice, I thought that particular prank was mean, too.

To me a prank is a silly laugh between friends, when you know your friend will get and appreciate the joke, not meanspirited or physical humor or aimed at strangers.

(Though the Toga one was fun, too - believe me, if I thought there was going to be anyone running around with one, I'd be back in my cabin with a handful of safety pins making one, too!)

Which reminds me of a funny story, though not a prank:

In Mazatlan, I bought a terrific pareo which has a reproduction of a Frida Kahlo painting on the front. (If you don't know her, she was the subject of the feature film "Frida" a couple years back - a pioneering painter, married to Diego Rivera - oftentimes she painted self portraits, complete with her gigantic unibrow - she had an interesting and difficult life and sometimes her paintings are disturbing to view.) So at dinner that night, I mentioned my find to our tablemates, honeymooners, and the guy said "Frida Kahlo? I HATE her! I had to look at some of her paintings in my art history class!" So that night was a tropical party up on deck, and I wore my (very pinned closed) pareo as a dress. So there I was, with Frida's huge unibrowed face staring back at everyone, it was so big her face covered by whole front side, with the monkey and parrots that are depicted on her shoulders kind of wrapped around my back; of course we ran into the kid and he freaked out amusingly!

Not exactly pranks, but just silly fun stuff

On one cruise, with 4 women traveling together. We boarded the ship wearing tiaras and boas, wore them to formal night and disco night.quote]

On one of our cruises, we noticed a group of "Southern Bells" coming aboard all wearing large brimmed ladies dress hats. We noticed them

occasionally walking the decks and they made a grand entrance the first dinner or two. I thought it was great fun and they drew loads of attention from the crew and those around them. They were wonderful ladies and full of fun. Some may have pooh-poohed them for 'showing off', but I thought it wonderful. And now after all this time, I still remember,

As far as the 'prank' on the fellow being thrown overboard and everyone fussing, it was a joke on 'their' friend, let it go.

... I don't find switching the breakfast room service menu/times funny at all.

{{{Shrug}}}

Jane

It's not like we did it to random people, we only did it to the others in our group. And the people that we went with all have a sense of humor. When it happend to me I thought it was pretty darn funny. Sorry if you don't approve of how my friends and I interact with eachother. I realize how disturbing this must have been to other people on the cruise who were in no way affected by this, and will try and not have fun on my next cruise so I don't offend anyone.

Anyway, to get to the prank....On the last night, our theme was TOGA. As we were leaving our cabins, or walking around deck before dinner wearing our togas, people would ask us why we were wearing them. So we would tell people..."Didn't you see it listed in the Cruise Compass?" No, they would say. So we would tell them that there was a mistake and that everyone should have gotten a "memo" with an update telling them that tonight was toga night. I kid you not, some people fell for it and throughout the night we would see other people wearing togas made from sheets off their beds. I'll bet you there were about 20-30 other people wearing togas that night that weren't in our group!

Just to clarify so people don't think we intended to embarrass others. We honestly didn't think people would believe us. Every time my husband or someone in the group would ask people if they got the "memo", I would stand behind them kind laughing and shaking my head "no". But either they didn't see me or they just liked the idea of wearing togas. We actually were the hit of the night. Strangers would ask to take our picture.

Just to clarify so people don't think we intended to embarrass others. We honestly didn't think people would believe us. Every time my husband or someone in the group would ask people if they got the "memo", I would stand behind them kind laughing and shaking my head "no". But either they didn't see me or they just liked the idea of wearing togas. We actually were the hit of the night. Strangers would ask to take our picture.

What a wonderful way to have fun... No blood, no foul... People are really funny, and they don't want to seem uninformed.. So there.:D :D I know I would have cracked up just watching..I don't see a hint of meaness at all. I hope to be on a cruise with you someday...:D :D

As far as the 'prank' on the fellow being thrown overboard and everyone fussing, it was a joke on 'their' friend, let it go.

Darned, Where can I find friends like this? :confused: I hope you with your wisdom can point me in the right direction.. Happy cruising to you in the future..

I know if someone told me I had missed the memo about the togas I would have run back to my cabin to "get one". I was always afraid I had not read the schedule right - formal/not formal? That was funny. I also would love to be cruising with a bunch like you. Being "grown up" can sometimes be a drag and it is fun to cut up.

I know if someone told me I had missed the memo about the togas I would have run back to my cabin to "get one". I was always afraid I had not read the schedule right - formal/not formal? That was funny. I also would love to be cruising with a bunch like you. Being "grown up" can sometimes be a drag and it is fun to cut up.

LOL...I would have done the same thing. And if it wasn't there, I would have gone to or called customer relations desk to find out why I didn't get the "memo"...LOL Thats why we were so surprised to see others actually wearing togas. On our "Pimps & Hoes" theme night, we just got a lot of stares and people were probably wondering just what kind of people the cruiseline lets board the ship.....LOL

Archived