Drinks packages

Joyfull Traveller

Being our first cruise we haven't the foggiest idea on what we should or should not do with the drinks packages yes or no?  Does the signature package on HAL Koningsdam cover the extra 15% service fee when ordering drinks.  We understand that there is a $14.50 services levee charged per person per night, so we need to pay the additional 15% charge on top of this and if so is it covered in the drinks package?

21 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Thanks for this information but I wanted to make 100% sure that we do not have to an additional 15% on top of the beverage package price the package details state "A gratuity of 15% will be added to the purchase price.  You will not have to pay additional gratuities unless you desire to do so".  To my thinking, no, we do not have to pay the additional 15% gratuity as it is covered by our initial payment for the beverage package.  So if we purchase the beverage package for $49.50, we will not have to pay 15% of what we actually consume i.e. 5 drinks at $7.00 is $35.00 (gratuities would have been $5.25 extra).  Just want to be clear on this as we don't pay gratuities in Australia.

You do not have to pay 15% on each drink you have.  But you will pay 15% on top of the advertised price for the package.

If you have great service from a particular bartender, you may opt to tip them above and beyond the built in tip. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you pre purchase the Signature Drink on HAL, you can save $5 per person per day on the package.  The 15% gratuity is included in the price of the package -- so additional gratuity when you buy a drink.

The $14.50 per person is the Hotel Service Charge which is automatically added to your shipboard account each evening.  Should you decide to remove this Hotel Service Charge at the end of the cruise, and you decide to hand out cash tips to anyone, those crew members must turn in that extra tip -- it will be pulled among all crew members.  Your name is passed onto all the supervisors who then pass your name onto all the workers under their supervision.  Workers not following the rules can be fired.

7 hours ago, cb at sea said:

The nightly charge covers your cabin attendant, and waitstaff for all meals.....any gratuity charge on packages or drinks goes to the bartenders.

No further tips are needed.

I think that we have it now, if we take and pay for for a drinks package the package pays for any gratuities so we are not slugged with a 15% charge on our room bill. Thanks

On 1/21/2019 at 7:02 PM, Joyfull Traveller said:

I think that we have it now, if we take and pay for for a drinks package the package pays for any gratuities so we are not slugged with a 15% charge on our room bill. Thanks

Hi all, I think that we are now on track and have gratuities sorted.  Just looking for peoples thoughts on the drinks packages i.e. are they worth it, what are the average costs of drinks?  We are looking at the middle package around $50 per person per night, so want ideas on what the drinks actually cost to help calculate value for money or not.  Any assistance, comments or ideas would be great fully appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:16 PM, Joyfull Traveller said:

Just want to be clear on this as we don't pay gratuities in Australia.

Just to enlighten you, the reason cruises are as cheap as they are is the "hotel" staff are paid very minimal wages and the significant bulk of their renumeration is tips.  Its not like in Australia where minimum wages are fairly high.  The daily wage for a cruise ship worker (10-12 hr days) may be less than the hourly wage of an Australian in the same industry.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Joyfull Traveller said:

Hi all, I think that we are now on track and have gratuities sorted.  Just looking for peoples thoughts on the drinks packages i.e. are they worth it, what are the average costs of drinks?  We are looking at the middle package around $50 per person per night, so want ideas on what the drinks actually cost to help calculate value for money or not.  Any assistance, comments or ideas would be great fully appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

As requested, here is the HAL Beverage Menu (Note that some bars have special additonal drinks):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Pool-Bars.pdf

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Crew News said:

As requested, here is the HAL Beverage Menu (Note that some bars have special additonal drinks):

Thanks, we have the gratuities covered.  Just doing the sums on whether a package is for us or not.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Pool-Bars.pdf

25 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Thanks again, what currency or denomination are quoted in the prices i.e. US $, AUD $, Euros?

I find u drunk a lot more alcohol when have the package opposed to when I don't. If you like one drink at night and a couple of coffees during the day then it might not be worth it.

If you are doing a cruise in Europe, you might be off the ship 8 hours a day, not much drinking time in the evening & you don't want to drink so much you can't enjoy your day in port the next day..

there is also free drinks in the Buffet (water, tea, coffee & flavoured water).

so when I have cuppachino in the morning, one glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail after dinner. My bar bill is under US$200.

I hope this helps. Its really difficult to work out.

26 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

I find u drunk a lot more alcohol when have the package opposed to when I don't. If you like one drink at night and a couple of coffees during the day then it might not be worth it.

If you are doing a cruise in Europe, you might be off the ship 8 hours a day, not much drinking time in the evening & you don't want to drink so much you can't enjoy your day in port the next day..

there is also free drinks in the Buffet (water, tea, coffee & flavoured water).

so when I have cuppachino in the morning, one glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail after dinner. My bar bill is under US$200.

I hope this helps. Its really difficult to work out.

Thanks Kerryincork, does help us, much appreciated.

It’s a very personal thing but we never buy the drink packages especially on lines which require both passengers in a cabin to purchase them as my DW would rarely have more than one drink a day and more likely to have none.  

14 hours ago, wheezedr said:

It’s a very personal thing but we never buy the drink packages especially on lines which require both passengers in a cabin to purchase them as my DW would rarely have more than one drink a day and more likely to have none.  

That is the smart move.   But only if you don't drink enough to make two packages economically advantageous. 😄

With two people, but one that drinks little, paying individually may be cheaper.