Traveling w/ Insulin & Needles for Diabetes

SlwVegas

Hi all,

We are going on a trip in the very near future on princess and my grandmother will need to travel onboard with insulin/needles for her diabetes. Will we need to complete additional paperwork/notify Princess beforehand or can she simply pack this in her carry on? Your help is much appreciated.

I just did a 28 night transpacific on Golden Princess in Oct/Nov... no documentation for insulin/pens/needles/test kit was/is required.

I'd recommend carrying those items on you while boarding...don't take a chance on it being in a piece of lost luggage.

Kept the pens on ice in the fridge with no problems at all.  

Agree with what everyone has said and I would also recommend The Frio Insulin Cooling Cases.

I have been using them for quite a few years and they have never failed me.

Most of today's insulins, (Humalog, Lantus, Novolog, Tresiba, etc) do not need to be refrigerated while in use, and will stay at ROOM TEMP for about 28 days, (check the box), but if you are taking an extended trip, I have found that if you take your insulin down to the infirmary, they are more than happy to keep it in the fridge for you.

You just need to work around their limited hours.

• Like 2

I just started using insulin and coming up on a 27 day cruise in April.  Has anyone experienced problems with TSA with all of the paraphernalia ?  Any travel suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by bigo

17 minutes ago, bigo said:

I just started using insulin and coming up on a 27 day cruise in April.  Has anyone experienced problems with TSA with all of the paraphernalia ?  Any travel suggestions?

Thanks

I travel into the US once or twice a year from the UK and use a clear plastic zip up bag which I use to hold my needles, medication, insulin in a Frio cooling case and a covering letter from my doctor. I whip it out of my rucksack and put it in the tray separately and it never causes any problems with the TSA

3 hours ago, bigo said:

Thanks

I carry a note from my doctor.  Nobody has ever asked to see it but it can't hurt.

DON

We have been on about 20 cruises and have had no problems.  We don't even carry a letter from doctor.  We usually drive to port so don't know about flying suggestions.  As soon as we find room steward, we just ask for the sharps bin and put Lantus in the small ref.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 6:40 AM, bigo said:

Thanks

We are about to start our second extended cruise/land vacation since my husband started injecting insulin.  He uses needles.  We were concerned about the large supply he would need to take with him this time (our trip is 76 days), so we have two solutions.

Last year we purchased a battery and electrical operated mini-fridge for storing insulin bottles.  It works great.  I bought it on Amazon, and it's money well spent, because you aren't at the mercy of melting baggies of ice, and can travel with it.

DISON new Portable Insulin Cooler Refrigerated Box / Drug Reefer / Small Refrigerator CE& ROHS & Battery working 8 hours

Charge up the battery pack and it's good for 10 hours.  Anywhere along the way, like airports, recharge with any electrical outlet.  Once on the ship it just plugs into an electrical socket in the cabin.  Holds 6 vials of insulin.

This upcoming trip, he has to take 22 vials, so he "invented" his own travel cooler.  He bought one of these:

Bubba Classic Insulated Desk Mug, 52 oz, Black

put a large size vegetable can, empty, clean, and no top, inside.  He then purchased a blue ice gel pack, opened it, and poured the gel around the can inside the mug.  Put it in the freezer upright.  The gel freezes around the can, and he can fit 14 vials inside the can.  With the airtight lid on, the gel keeps the insulin cold for literally days. While traveling he puts the mug in his backpack and takes it out going through security.  Tells them what is in both the mug and fridge, they may look inside, and we're good to go.  Never an issue.

Once the blue gel defrosts, he asks the cabin steward to refreeze it for him, and puts the 14 vials in a plastic bag on ice while it's freezing.

So, 2 vials at room temperature (good for 28 days), 14 in the mug, and 6 in the mini-fridge.  

Edited by pcur

On 1/20/2019 at 6:40 AM, bigo said:

...Has anyone experienced problems with TSA with all of the paraphernalia..

TSA is looking for weapons and the like. Since I travel with syringes and insulin in original Rx packages, we have never  had an issue.

Cruise #20 coming up. Always fly to the ports so, always need to pack and keep insulin and another med cool. 

I've always carried a letter but have never been asked for it. 

We are TSA pre-approved so never take things out of our carry ons. I've never been stopped due to my meds except once when I first started and my husband asked if the suitcase carrying them was going to be checked. I answered, no, they had my drugs in them. When we got to security, they had been forwarded by someone who had heard me, and wiped down the case to see if it showed that I had drugs! It taught me to be literal when traveling. 

I learned about the Frio bags about 5 years ago and still use the same three I bought. Wonderful product, doesn't take too much room in your bag, come in several sizes, and fit in the fridge in your stateroom. 

When we meet our steward, we tell him I need a sharps container and it appears in my room by nightfall. 

So, every step of the way, I've not had any questions or problems. 

Just be sure to bring a bit more than what you think you will need of all things related, insulin, needles, alcohol wipes, test strips. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:13 AM, Fla Mike said:

Agree with what everyone has said and I would also recommend The Frio Insulin Cooling Cases.

I have been using them for quite a few years and they have never failed me.

Most of today's insulins, (Humalog, Lantus, Novolog, Tresiba, etc) do not need to be refrigerated while in use, and will stay at ROOM TEMP for about 28 days, (check the box), but if you are taking an extended trip, I have found that if you take your insulin down to the infirmary, they are more than happy to keep it in the fridge for you.

You just need to work around their limited hours.

Well I just bought the Frio insulin cooling cases. I get so tired of the TSA checking out the ice in the carrier I usually use for my insulin and HGH pens. THANKS!!

36 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

Well I just bought the Frio insulin cooling cases. I get so tired of the TSA checking out the ice in the carrier I usually use for my insulin and HGH pens. THANKS!!

You will really appreciate the convenience and ease of use they offer!!

The only thing that attracts extra attention from TSA is if you have an insulin pump. It does set off the detector and therefore you have to submit to a very intimate scan and pat down,. Otherwise pump supplies, needles and lancets do not attract any attention when going through x-ray scanners. The refrigerator in the cabin is sufficient to protect unopened insulin vials. I see no need to notify Princess in advance as the steward will supply a sharps container when asked. Since I have a continuous blood glucose monitor that I read via my smart phone and I change my pumps infusion set once or twice on a 7 day cruise, I generate so little sharps waste I don't even ask for a sharps container, I just toss the waste in a zip lock bag and dispose it when I get home.

Edited by Doug R.

I have obtained  written prescriptions and bought the Frio cooling cases and will pack as I normally do and will see what happens.  Judging from everybody's comments there shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks for your input.