Deluxe Beverage Package Questions

coasterj

Hey all, I had a couple questions as I seem to be getting mixed (beverage pun:classic_laugh:) answers about this one and didn't want to intrude on other's topics. 

-First is is true that if we call to reserve the deluxe package my husband can get the refreshment package since he has one drink a day?

-The more important question I have is about value breakdown. I've read on a couple places that the beverages are limited to under $12/ drink? Does this mean the package would not include most drinks of the day or deluxe drinks? We are sailing on Harmony in Sept. and would also like to use the robot mixing thingy excited to see that in action!

Would love to hear many other's experience with this or other thoughts! Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes that is correct about purchasing the 2 different packages by calling.

includes drinks up to $13 or $14 on Harmony.  Virtually all drinks except some made with premium spirits.

Awesome thanks!

4 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Keep in mind that if you buy a drink over the limit, you are only charged the difference (unless that's changed somewhere).  So if you are limited to $12 and order a $14 drink, you are only charged $2.  

Oh that's good to know too! Nice that they do a differential! 

• Like 1

There are also "special" drinks sometimes served in special cups/glasses/fruits.  The special cup/whatever is not included in the drink package, but you can ask to have the beverage itself served in a regular bar glass and it's included that way. 

• Like 5

At times, they have only approved the second person not getting the deluxe due that person not drinking at all. This seems to be the intent of allowing this.

If your husband does drink, but just doesn't drink much, they may not allow this.

In that case, you have to determine whether the packages make sense for you, or the total of both of you is less ala carte.

Since no one directly answered,  you will need to call and order the packages, you can't do it online.  When we did it I had to provide a reason why wife couldn't have alchohol.

In regards to SRF to concern.  while they may have the ability to flag the non-drinker's card as not being allowed to buy any alchohol, there is no reason that the person who has the alchohol package to get a "free" drink for themselves and they BUY a drink for the one at the normal price using their card.  People travel with friends or even meet people on-board and offer to buy a round of drinks.  This would be no different.

• Like 1

I had the beverage package when I sailed on Harmony and had NO issues with drinks that I wanted....specialty coffees from Vitale café, Robot bar, Rising Tides, Sangria in MDR, Mudslides, Miami Vices, Daquari's, Frozen Mojitos, Mimosa's at breakfast, bottled water....and the list went on...lol.  Never had any charges added to my account either!  It was really awesome!  Enjoy Harmony, she's a fabulous ship!!

4 minutes ago, Tante Din said:

Does anybody know if a Redbull with Vodka would be covered by the package ?

Do they have Red Bull on the ships ? I don´t like it, bu my cousin is joining us for the first time and it´s his favorite drink.

Nadine

Yes red bull is available and would be covered by the package 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:27 AM, coasterj said:

Does this mean the package would not include most drinks of the day or deluxe drinks?

I don't think anyone else addressed this part of your question.  The "Drink of the Day" is typically discounted ($9-10 as I recall) because they have premixed it in large pitchers and just have to pour.  You'd pay a couple bucks more for the same thing on a different day because they have to make it from scratch.

Edited by Atlantix2000
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, gatour said:

Since no one directly answered,  you will need to call and order the packages, you can't do it online.  When we did it I had to provide a reason why wife couldn't have alchohol.

In regards to SRF to concern.  while they may have the ability to flag the non-drinker's card as not being allowed to buy any alchohol, there is no reason that the person who has the alchohol package to get a "free" drink for themselves and they BUY a drink for the one at the normal price using their card.  People travel with friends or even meet people on-board and offer to buy a round of drinks.  This would be no different.

My point was, the exemption is for people who DO NOT DRINK.  Not for people who just don't drink enough for the package to make financial sense.

Yes, even if the blocked the "non-drinker" from buying an alcoholic drink, you are still abusing the system.

And if abuse of the system is what caused the everyone has to buy the package, then further abuse may require people who do not drink to provide a medical letter or other "proof" of non-drinking.

Plus, it is just dishonest.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 6:31 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

When we have the package, I make sure to check our charges every day.  It seems like there is at least one time each cruise where they’ve tried to charge us for a drink or two...

I can corroborate this. My wife ended up deciding to try to drink a glass of wine at dinner one night and her account ended up being charged for two glasses and my crown and coke that night. I suspect it was a product of them handwriting the orders in the MDR and things getting mixed up. Guest services fixed it no problem, but do keep an eye on it. 

18 hours ago, TravisP said:

I love the spreadsheet, so don't get me wrong.     Are the prices up to date?    For a simple example, I looked at water...it's entered at $2.25 per bottle.   When we last sailed, I thought it was $2.50 or $3.00 per bottle.    Not sure if its he spreadsheet or my mind that's not up to date.

In any case, the sheet is a great way to do a quick analysis.   AND BE SURE TO ACCOUNT FOR ALL FLUIDS YOU PURCHASE......water, fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffees (and any Starbucks is not included in ANY package) all cost $$.

Cheers !!

Edited by zdad59

Hi, we have booked a cruise for September out of Venice and the Deluxe drinks package was included in the deal. For budgeting purposes can anyone tell me if I still need to budget 18% per drink for gratuity to be added to my account?

2 minutes ago, Dave_Blue said:

Hi, we have booked a cruise for September out of Venice and the Deluxe drinks package was included in the deal. For budgeting purposes can anyone tell me if I still need to budget 18% per drink for gratuity to be added to my account?

No, the initial purchase of the package includes gratuities on the drinks.

The only exception would be if you order a drink that exceeds the package limit.  In that case you will be charged the difference plus 18% of the difference.