Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
suzyed

Annual comprehensive insurance question

Recommended Posts

We're looking for a comprehensive ANNUAL travel insurance plan....are there plans that cover medical AND trip cancellation?  We are looking for more than the measly $50,000 medical coverage.
Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was concerned about being covered for pre and post cruise travel as well as the cruise itself.  My solution was to get an annual health insurance travel policy through GeoBlue (geobluetravelinsurance.com).  It provides $250,000 in medical coverage, $500,000 medical evacuation coverage, and $25,000 for repatriation.

 

 For even more peace of mind, I also get an annual policy with Medjet Assist, an air medical transport program (NOT health insurance).  Their website is www.medjet.com.

 

Prices are very reasonable until age 75.  And you don't have to get insurance for each individual trip or cruise.  You just do it once a year.  I didn't want to deal with insurance for each individual cruise, and I considered the cruise line coverage not adequate. 

 

These policies do not cover trip cancellation.  But I don't consider that a major financial threat.  The real financial threat is a medical emergency overseas.

 

Some credit cards include some level of trip cancellation coverage if you charged the trip on that card.  My credit card includes up to $5,000 for trip cancellation.  I've never had to test this coverage so far. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stonewolf Cruiser said:

I was concerned about being covered for pre and post cruise travel as well as the cruise itself.  My solution was to get an annual health insurance travel policy through GeoBlue (geobluetravelinsurance.com).  It provides $250,000 in medical coverage, $500,000 medical evacuation coverage, and $25,000 for repatriation.

 

 For even more peace of mind, I also get an annual policy with Medjet Assist, an air medical transport program (NOT health insurance).  Their website is www.medjet.com.

 

Prices are very reasonable until age 75.  And you don't have to get insurance for each individual trip or cruise.  You just do it once a year.  I didn't want to deal with insurance for each individual cruise, and I considered the cruise line coverage not adequate. 

 

These policies do not cover trip cancellation.  But I don't consider that a major financial threat.  The real financial threat is a medical emergency overseas.

 

Some credit cards include some level of trip cancellation coverage if you charged the trip on that card.  My credit card includes up to $5,000 for trip cancellation.  I've never had to test this coverage so far. 

 

 

 

First, credit card coverage usually excludes pre-existing conditions, so that's out for us.

 

But I'm confused about your statement that "I was concerned about being covered for pre and post cruise travel as well as the cruise itself."

Our third party travel insurance covers us from the time we leave our home, until we return.  It certainly isn't "only the cruise".

And if you are getting MedJetAssist, then presumably you know about the travel insurance brokers like

www.TripInsuranceStore.com  (that's who we use; there are others).

 

We are about to find out how strict MJA is after age 75... when they have the medical underwriting.  Keeping fingers crossed...

 

Also, thus far, about 95% of our claimed costs (total including two large claims) were all due to medical issues, but were for costs of trip cancellation and interruption.  Interruption can actually cost more, which is why that is usually covered at 150% of the "cancellation" (full cost) amount.

This year is the first year we "broke even", in the sense of, we have only just paid very slightly more in premiums than we have collected in claims.  We will not go on a trip without travel insurance.

 

Another nice thing about the MJA annual policy... one is covered for 'regular' travel, e.g., to friends/family/business, as long as it's at least 150 miles from home.

 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I referred to not being covered for pre and post cruise vacations, I was referring to times when I used the cruise line travel insurance (covering the cruise), but I had made independent travel arrangements leading up to the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stonewolf Cruiser said:

When I referred to not being covered for pre and post cruise vacations, I was referring to times when I used the cruise line travel insurance (covering the cruise), but I had made independent travel arrangements leading up to the cruise.

 

I understand that.  But you wrote that you were "concerned" about being covered during those pre/post cruise times.

I was pointing out that third party coverage *does* include that.


GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, suzyed said:

We're looking for a comprehensive ANNUAL travel insurance plan....are there plans that cover medical AND trip cancellation?  We are looking for more than the measly $50,000 medical coverage.
Any suggestions?

I am not of any annual comprehensive policies.  The major cost of the comprehensive policy is the cancellation coverage which is based upon the trip costs, and that varies from trip to trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Allianz annual policy I got.  It has a $5,000 maximum per person for PRE-trip cancellation, and the same coverage for trip interruption AFTER the trip has started. Each trip can be for 90 days. Medical evacuation is $500,000 per person.  The annual cost for the AllTrips Premier Plan was $700 for two people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 1:35 AM, pcur said:

I like the Allianz annual policy I got.  It has a $5,000 maximum per person for PRE-trip cancellation, and the same coverage for trip interruption AFTER the trip has started. Each trip can be for 90 days. Medical evacuation is $500,000 per person.  The annual cost for the AllTrips Premier Plan was $700 for two people.

 

I've used Allianz for years now, but just went to their site to purchase insurance for a cruise later this year as well as for a Bahamas vacation in May.  Can't find the link to the travel insurance site now.  Any ideas?  And, yes, I used the search bar for 'travel insurance' and came up with different articles - no where to purchase insurance though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...