Replacement port

pamrose228

Going on the NCL Pearl TA in May Cork Dublin La Havre Tilbury Belgium and Amsterdam. All excursions are up except for Le Havre. I fear the upheavals in France will skip this port. What other port is possible I say overnight in Tilbury or day in Liverpool. It’s very disturbing not being told what is going to happen in 90 days or so. Also I have $100 port excursion credit per port not fair if I can’t use it

Pam and Steve

44 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

You are from NYC!  what is to fear in Europe? 

44 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We don’t riot here. Our protests are peaceful and if you act out of line you are arrested. Not so in France. Guess you haven’t been to New York.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

15 minutes ago, pamrose228 said:

We don’t riot here. Our protests are peaceful and if you act out of line you are arrested. Not so in France. Guess you haven’t been to New York.

Unfortunately, the post above yours was not helpful - I would ignore such posts. 

It is far too early to determine if any of your ports will be cancelled. I highly doubt that your port stop in Le Havre will be impacted but ... ports are changed for a variety of reasons, most often weather. You should still be able to utilize your port excursion credit if your ship is routed to another port. There are many wonderful options from Le Havre - not just Paris (where you would have very little time due to the distance from port). 

Edited by dogs4fun

are the problems  in France  impacting the ports there?

I am only seen Paris riots but nothing on the other area  but I was not really looking

We have 2 stops in April  Le Havre & St Malo   ..any problems there??

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am only seen Paris riots but nothing on the other area  but I was not really looking

No - there was a student demonstration in Le Havre in December - nothing that impacted the port. Nothing in St. Malo that I have heard of. The Yellow Vest protests have been covered on our news here (mostly Paris coverage) with the majority of the protests throughout France occuring last November.  I suspect that this issue will be resolved before too long. It is nothing that would cause me any concern - especially if I was not cruising until April.

Edited by dogs4fun

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes the problems are impacting all of France. A full private tour guides will not do tours anywhere in France from Le Havre. Yellow Vests are everywhere. I don’t know much about St. Malo though.

What Cruise line are you sailing with? Are excursions posted?

2 minutes ago, pamrose228 said:

Yes the problems are impacting all of France. A full private tour guides will not do tours anywhere in France from Le Havre. Yellow Vests are everywhere. I don’t know much about St. Malo though.

What Cruise line are you sailing with? Are excursions posted?

Is this just the current situation or are you stating that private tours will not operate from Le Havre in April & May? My friends booked with Overlord Tours for May (from port of Le Havre) and have not been informed of any cancellations.

2 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Please report back - I am sure all will be fine.

I am sure  if it is  not safe the cruise line will cancel the port 

I will check in March to see if things have settled down

fingers crossed 🤞

When our ship stopped in Le Havre, we enjoyed the sights of the town. We walked from the pier into town and went to a couple of churches and the art museum. We enjoyed the sights of French life along the way, including shopping at a grocery store.

I am visiting Paris in March and have been tracking the demonstrations. For the past 8 weeks the yellow vests have been out on Saturdays only. This may change but demonstrations have been in the larger cities of Paris, Marseille, Lyon, and Bordeaux. Just exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings. Stay away from people dressed in yellow 😀 La Havre is a small town and I can’t see a demonstration getting much notoriety.

6 hours ago, lamchops said:

I am visiting Paris in March and have been tracking the demonstrations. For the past 8 weeks the yellow vests have been out on Saturdays only. This may change but demonstrations have been in the larger cities of Paris, Marseille, Lyon, and Bordeaux. Just exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings. Stay away from people dressed in yellow 😀 La Havre is a small town and I can’t see a demonstration getting much notoriety.

Thanks, lamchops. Pretty much what I suspected. 

22 hours ago, lamchops said:

I understand that but the day we are in port is a French National Holiday, VE Day. 

sounds like over sensational news coverage

my reaction was riots what riots-I had to google yellow vests to get any info

this is Europe not a third world country and peaceful demonstrations happen all the time

if you step out of line and cause a riot you will certainly be arrested by the police who will be on hand

As with thugs anywhere there will always be those who find any excuse to cause violence

A few years ago we were in Barcelona when there was due a demonstration in Pl Cataluyna about independence vote

Our hotel was just round the corner and we heard a few chants but nothing around us

we could hear a helicopter circling which was providing live video feed of the square and we were watching the local news in our hotel room which made it appear whole city was in uproar-we just looked at each other in disbelief

again we were on a cruise calling Athens at time of protests against Government austerity

news headlines made it sound dangerous whereas in reality the demonstration was in a very small area and in fact no one on the ship who went ashore noticed anything

Of course they had the sense to stay away from that area-good advice to stay away from overly crowded areas in any city  but I'd be more worried about pickpockets than being caught up in violence

I doubt the lack of shore excursions in le Havre have anything to do with yellow vest protests  

On 1/22/2019 at 9:46 PM, pamrose228 said:

I understand that but the day we are in port is a French National Holiday, VE Day. 

The biggest inconvenience (speaking from experience) is that most stores and restaurants will be closed for the holiday (this is probably true for other French ports as well, but we've only been in LeHavre on VE day).  

I'm going on the NCL Getaway TA to Southampton in late April. Our Le Havre excursions have been posted for months. The usual bus to Paris, lunch on the Seine, Giverny and Rouen, etc.  They may be finalizing contracts for May. I may just take a cab into Le Havre, I went to Paris last year. The lunch on the Seine tour was lovely.