St Kitts shore excursion advice sought

hrt4girls

We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit at the end of March and are looking for a shore excursion.  I usually prefer to arrange shore excursions with private companies and not use the ones from the ship, but we have OBC to use so we are looking at the list provided.  We are considering the Island History and Rum Tasting.  It is not an all day excursion.  Just wondering if anyone has advice for us to spend the rest of the day.  We would consider a beach or spending time in town.  Not sure what would be close to the ship that we could fit in.  Shopping is not high on our list, but we enjoy experiencing different towns or beaches.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Sailing on the Carnival Sunshine with a stop in St Kitts in March.  We want to catch a ride and hike Mt Liamuiga ourselves as we usually do our own things in port.  My question is, if we catch a ride to the trail head are there people available to give rides back to port?

I know there are no shortage of taxis at port, but I just don't know if there are taxis or transportation hanging out at a trailhead.  We certainly don't want to end up hiking back down only to find we have 14 mile run in order to catch our boat.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:34 AM, hrt4girls said:

We will be sailing on Celebrity Summit at the end of March and are looking for a shore excursion.  I usually prefer to arrange shore excursions with private companies and not use the ones from the ship, but we have OBC to use so we are looking at the list provided.  We are considering the Island History and Rum Tasting.  It is not an all day excursion.  Just wondering if anyone has advice for us to spend the rest of the day.  We would consider a beach or spending time in town.  Not sure what would be close to the ship that we could fit in.  Shopping is not high on our list, but we enjoy experiencing different towns or beaches.  Thanks!

You might want to consider Thenford Gray tours...we did a wonderful one with him/his company this past September.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PHILnBETH said:

Sailing on the Carnival Sunshine with a stop in St Kitts in March.  We want to catch a ride and hike Mt Liamuiga ourselves as we usually do our own things in port.  My question is, if we catch a ride to the trail head are there people available to give rides back to port?

I know there are no shortage of taxis at port, but I just don't know if there are taxis or transportation hanging out at a trailhead.  We certainly don't want to end up hiking back down only to find we have 14 mile run in order to catch our boat.

I hear you about doing things on your own as my husband and I love doing that. But honestly it's not an area that cabs go by. Cell service is not good. Unless you were staying in st kitt, I would just go with a guide. Only reason I say that is although yes, it's doable on your own, just going up and back without transportation reliability is not wise. You could always rent a car. We did it last April and it wasnt a big deal with our guide who was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, jean87510 said:

I hear you about doing things on your own as my husband and I love doing that. But honestly it's not an area that cabs go by. Cell service is not good. Unless you were staying in st kitt, I would just go with a guide. Only reason I say that is although yes, it's doable on your own, just going up and back without transportation reliability is not wise. You could always rent a car. We did it last April and it wasnt a big deal with our guide who was pretty good.

Thanks Jean, that's exactly what we decided to do.  We're going to rent a car and knock out the hike first thing.  Plan is a few other sightseeing stops on the way back. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have toured with Thenford Grey whenever we are in St. Kitts. We have never been disappointed. He is very passionate about his island and shares it with his tour groups. He is so friendly that we feel we have to stop and say hello even if we aren't touring on a cruise there. A week ago we were there and hadn't scheduled a tour with him but needed information on getting a taxi to South Friar's Beach and his brother gave me pointed me in the right direction. I don't think you can go wrong if you choose him.