Turnaround day visit to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

pcur

We have two turnaround days in Bayonne on b4b cruises.  From what I've been able to find, it seems possible to Uber to Liberty Park, and take the Statue Cruises ferry to Ellis Island, and then to the Statue of Liberty.  I'm thinking if we get pressed for time, we would stay on the ferry to just dock/leave the Statue of Liberty, getting a good view.  That way we would be back at Liberty Park in time to Uber back to the ship.  The whole circuit staying on the ferry is 55 minutes.

We are on the Adventure leaving at 3pm, and I'm figuring to be back in Liberty Park by 1:30pm.

Anyone with knowledge of the traffic patterns for Thursday or Friday, is this doable?  Also, anyone know approximately what time we would be off the ship as consecutive cruisers?  Thanks!

What day of the week? Even in rush hour, it should take under a half hour each way. Buy your timed ticket ahead of time, and factor in time to get through security and wait for the next ferry (I think they are every 20 minutes or so?). It took us an hour to go through security on a Sunday in July.

Typically folks on Anthem who are doing a B2B stay on the ship.  The procedure is for them to meet around 9:30-10 am and get off the ship as a group, go through immigration and customs and get right back on the ship.  I’m sure there must be a procedure for folks to get off earlier, but I’m not familiar with it.  Perhaps someone who has gotten off early can post about their experience.

Having said that, you really need to find out what arrangements can be made to get off early.  I would want to be at Liberty State park by 9 am in order to have enough time to see what you want and have enough cushion to get back in time for a 3 pm sail away.

Thank you for your replies:  just what I needed!  We have our choice of Thursday or Friday, and I'm thinking of Thursday.  We are SF Bay Area commute road warriors, and Friday commutes at any time are usually more crowded between commuters and people off for the weekend.

I will check on board the ship the first day about getting off early, which is over 3 weeks before we get to Bayonne. I can book online from the ship once I know.

Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, pcur said:

Thank you for your replies:  just what I needed!  We have our choice of Thursday or Friday, and I'm thinking of Thursday.  We are SF Bay Area commute road warriors, and Friday commutes at any time are usually more crowded between commuters and people off for the weekend.

I will check on board the ship the first day about getting off early, which is over 3 weeks before we get to Bayonne. I can book online from the ship once I know.

Thanks again.

This might be a silly reminder, but remember to take your drivers license or passport. Ds20 didn’t think to bring his drivers license because he wasn’t driving, and almost didn’t get through security (they allowed him to pull up his Facebook account, but I wouldn’t count on that).

But I guess you’d need them to get back on the ship anyway!

Edited by mjkacmom

Good reminder about a valid ID!

Security procedures:

• Visitors to the Park are required to submit to airport style security screening before boarding vessels departing from Battery Park and Liberty State Park. Visitors to the interior of the Statue of Liberty Monument undergo additional security screening upon entry inside the Statue.
  • All persons and property are subject to search prior to boarding ferries. All items considered inappropriate or prohibited will be confiscated and retained by the United States Park Police.
  • Large bags are not allowed on Liberty Island or Ellis Island.
  • There are no locker facilities at the New York and New Jersey departure points.
  • Backpacks, strollers and large umbrellas are not permitted inside the Monument
  • Food (even unopened) and drinks (including water) are not allowed inside the Statue of Liberty
  • All weapons are prohibited, including: firearms, explosives or flammables, knives or sharp objects (including tools), pepper spray and mace

Security is managed by the United States Park Police.

32 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

This might be a silly reminder, but remember to take your drivers license or passport. Ds20 didn’t think to bring his drivers license because he wasn’t driving, and almost didn’t get through security (they allowed him to pull up his Facebook account, but I wouldn’t count on that).

But I guess you’d need them to get back on the ship anyway!

Good story!  Almost like the guy who used a picture of his passport on his iphone to get into Canada!

I am one those firm believers in taking my passport EVERYWHERE with me when I'm traveling, so we always have ID with us.

16 minutes ago, 138east said:

Good reminder about a valid ID!

Security procedures:

• Visitors to the Park are required to submit to airport style security screening before boarding vessels departing from Battery Park and Liberty State Park. Visitors to the interior of the Statue of Liberty Monument undergo additional security screening upon entry inside the Statue.
  • All persons and property are subject to search prior to boarding ferries. All items considered inappropriate or prohibited will be confiscated and retained by the United States Park Police.
  • Large bags are not allowed on Liberty Island or Ellis Island.
  • There are no locker facilities at the New York and New Jersey departure points.
  • Backpacks, strollers and large umbrellas are not permitted inside the Monument
  • Food (even unopened) and drinks (including water) are not allowed inside the Statue of Liberty
  • All weapons are prohibited, including: firearms, explosives or flammables, knives or sharp objects (including tools), pepper spray and mace

Security is managed by the United States Park Police.

Looks like we will go with my neck purse, and leave the tote bag on the ship.  That's fine since we don't expect to be gone that long.

20 hours ago, pcur said:

Good story!  Almost like the guy who used a picture of his passport on his iphone to get into Canada!

I am one those firm believers in taking my passport EVERYWHERE with me when I'm traveling, so we always have ID with us.

Unfortunately, dd22 felt the same way on our last cruise, and didn’t bring her drivers license because she had her passport. I had booked a jet skiing excursion that required a valid drivers license, and I booked 3 adults with 3 minors. She decided to try anyway, and volunteered to be the one checking ID’s, and got away without having it. I’ve since told my kids to always have their drivers license on them.

57 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Unfortunately, dd22 felt the same way on our last cruise, and didn’t bring her drivers license because she had her passport. I had booked a jet skiing excursion that required a valid drivers license, and I booked 3 adults with 3 minors. She decided to try anyway, and volunteered to be the one checking ID’s, and got away without having it. I’ve since told my kids to always have their drivers license on them.

Good point.  Anything having anything to do with driving anything is Mr. pcur's responsibility away from home, so he does keep his DL with him.  

Bring your valid ID security is tighter going to Ellis Island and Statue of liberty than the TSA at JFK or LGA. It's  exactly like going through the airport. Also if you have a U'S. passport invest in a U.S. passport card combo  I use it to fly with no issues. It will take you a half a day if you do both a full day. 

29 minutes ago, Alrana Eris said:

Bring your valid ID security is tighter going to Ellis Island and Statue of liberty than the TSA at JFK or LGA. It's  exactly like going through the airport. Also if you have a U'S. passport invest in a U.S. passport card combo  I use it to fly with no issues. It will take you a half a day if you do both a full day. 

So, if we get on the ferry by 10am at Liberty Park, then go to Ellis Island, would you suggest we just stay on the boat and see the SOL up close, but continue on to Liberty Park? As I said, the ship leaves at 3pm.

12 hours ago, pcur said:

So, if we get on the ferry by 10am at Liberty Park, then go to Ellis Island, would you suggest we just stay on the boat and see the SOL up close, but continue on to Liberty Park? As I said, the ship leaves at 3pm.

As much as I enjoyed going into the pedestal and seeing the museum, and the views from up there, I suggest you pick only one island to get off on with your timeframe.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

As much as I enjoyed going into the pedestal and seeing the museum, and the views from up there, I suggest you pick only one island to get off on with your timeframe.

Thank you for confirming that.  I think we will only get off at Ellis Island.  I have ancestors from both sides of my family that came in during the 1800's, and I'd like to go there.