Wait list cleared. Yay!

106f

Love to cruise the Med.  When looking for my fourth visit I found "Inspiring Italy"  with a number of ports we've never visited.  I was disappointed to find it was wait listed.  We deposited $1500 for a spot on the list and started making alternate plans.  Some previous threads on wait lists didn't sound promising.  I now have a confirmed PH1 on Sirena for September 2, 2019.  Now I have to research some rather obscure ports. Among he ports new to us are Bari, Umbria, Crotone and Portoferraio.  We always cruise for the ports so no sea days works for us, but I will be looking for a few DIY leisure days near the port. 

2 hours ago, 106f said:

Love to cruise the Med.  When looking for my fourth visit I found "Inspiring Italy"  with a number of ports we've never visited.  I was disappointed to find it was wait listed.  We deposited $1500 for a spot on the list and started making alternate plans.  Some previous threads on wait lists didn't sound promising.  I now have a confirmed PH1 on Sirena for September 2, 2019.  Now I have to research some rather obscure ports. Among he ports new to us are Bari, Umbria, Crotone and Portoferraio.  We always cruise for the ports so no sea days works for us, but I will be looking for a few DIY leisure days near the port. 

Congrats.  What cabin category did you wait list for?   Location of your cabin?

Enjoy your cruise.

King

Nice to see some new places on an Italy itinerary.

Bari is on the Adriatic Sea across from Dubrovnik. There are ferries going across.

You can walk in the old part of the city and eat great food!

Umbria is an entire province so interesting to see where the ship actually has a port since the entire region is inland with no part of it on the coast at all!

I have not heard of the other 2 towns so will be interested to hear all about them when you are back!

Shanino's comment caused me to check on our 2005 land trip to Tuscany because I thought we'd gone to Orvieto.  In looking at my diary I don't think we did.  But I DO have a NY Times Travel Section article on Orvieto that is dated September 12, 2004 -- old, I know!  But if you are going to be there (or near there) it might be interesting.  It's a long one so I won't post it here, and I could give you a link to it but if you aren't a subscriber that probably won't help you.

But if anyone is interested in seeing it, email me and I'll send it to you.

Mura

mkievman@nyc.rr.com

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've been to Orvieto, how could I not go there?

We went from Civiteveccia. It's certainly closer to that than Ancona if you look at a map. 

Having plenty of family there I've traveled through Italy quite a bit... bad idea to make a day trip to Orvietto from an Ancona on a one day port stop unless you take a helicopter... it has to be at least 2 hours each way by car if not more imho.

One of the closer and more interesting places to visit close to Ancona is one of the smallest republics in the world, San Marino. Also google Fabriano, Grotte De Frassasi caves as well as Assissi. 

13 hours ago, ORV said:

I've been to Orvieto, how could I not go there?

We went from Civiteveccia. It's certainly closer to that than Ancona if you look at a map. 

Same for us in Oct. 2016.  Went to Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio from Civiteveccia,  liked Orvieto better than Siena where we had been the day before out of Livorno port.

Not the same tour company we used, but similar to show the towns and features:

http://transferandtourscortona.com/project/orvieto-and-civita-di-bagnoregio-tour/

I loved Civita di Bagnoregio. Fantastic setting, I thought I was in a Lord of the Rings movie or Game of Thrones walking up the ramp to it. Imagine what that would have been like in the old days before they built the ramp. It is much further than it looks in the picture. The picture doesn't show the valley it's in. 

europe 13 667.JPG

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We had to stop in Crotone on one of our cruise. The least favorite by far! We took a side excursion to  Sta. Severina which was a cute town. On the way back, we took the ship's shuttle to the center of Crotone to check out the town and were disappointed.  

Thanks rayjames7.  I signed up for this cruise for all the ports I've never visited.  I'm beginning to think no one has visited them.  Crotone, Ancona and Bari aren't even listed in most med cruise books.  Internet searches haven't yielded much either.  I haven't looked at ship's tours but I do have the 3 olife tours so I may use them at some of the obscure ports.   

My advice is to check all the tours offered by Oceania (on line) and then decide what interests you. If you prefer not to use Oceania's trips,  you can  arrange private tours or just see that a bus or taxi is all that is required.    Put each port into the search box and see what it has to offer.  

Have a lovely time in Venice.   Have a lovely cruise.  J

Thanks J, seems obvious but I had not done it.  Many O tours look like transportation with free time that could be done by taxi.  At least that gives me some locations to visit.  BTW Venice is our favorite start or stop point.  When we need a break from the crowds we look for a restaurant with an inner courtyard.  Some nice spots just a short walk from San Marco square.