Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

What are you getting all crabby about?  I'm not blaming you for anything as I'm sure we are all curious how you know it went over on the sky or what the source was because to most of us this is news . 

Not crabby at all, but thanks for asking.  For me it’s pretty easy to come to that conclusion, they had a test market, it went good, don’t know how they determined that, and they made the decision to enact it.  It’s not commencing at the same timE on all ships from what I gather.  IMHO

I'm confused.

The NCL site says that the UBP is that any drinks under $15 is free and anything over $15 is charged at the net difference.  Obviously, I would hate and loathe being nickle and dimed, but the initial comments made it seem like they were still being charged $19 for some of these drinks instead of the $4 it should have been.  Can anyone confirm?

At the end of the day, even if I still have to pay the extra couple dollars here or there, there is no way I would come out as bad off as I did on the Freedom of the Seas a couple years ago when the drink plan itself cost nearly $1k, and didn't include coffee or water.

You are correct.  You pay the overage plus 20%.  

You are correct.  You pay the overage plus 20%.  

Alright, that's not as bad as I originally thought.  For me, that's a manageable charge that still has me coming out better off financially than I would for the same offering on the same quality of trip on Royal Caribbean.  Just annoying it can't all be handled up front.  Just increase the fee of the UBP on the Free at Sea if you want to do this.  Probably would come out a bit better off as well.

I'm confused.

The NCL site says that the UBP is that any drinks under $15 is free and anything over $15 is charged at the net difference.  Obviously, I would hate and loathe being nickle and dimed, but the initial comments made it seem like they were still being charged $19 for some of these drinks instead of the $4 it should have been.  Can anyone confirm?

At the end of the day, even if I still have to pay the extra couple dollars here or there, there is no way I would come out as bad off as I did on the Freedom of the Seas a couple years ago when the drink plan itself cost nearly $1k, and didn't include coffee or water.

It's based on what you drink. When UBP started the wine we drink was $14.95. Now it's $27.95. So we would have to pay the difference. 12.95 + 20% gratuity of 2.59  = $15.54 in additional charges.  If we get that same wine on HAL, it's less than what we'd pay additionally on NCL, and we wouldn't be paying $20 dollars a day in gratuities on the drink package.  NCL drink prices are getting so ridiculous it's comical. 

Edited by CruisinHarvey
  • Like 2

I’d just buy a 24 case of water for $50 like we did for our upcoming 15 day Panama Canal cruise. This and just pay the overages on the select few drinks that are above the $15 threshold. It’s cheaper still this way than paying $1000 for the total upgrade. I don’t need drinks with Grey Goose 10 times a day though. 

• Like 1

Before anyone decides to jump down my throat, I’m posting what I was just told about increase and additional pkgs.  This was not don’t wilily nilly, they had a test market on Sun and Sky, it went over on those cruises the decision was made to take fleet wide!  Not defending their decision or supporting the increase but trying to inform.  IMHO

I'm not sure we can compare what they did on the Sun and Sky to this. On the all-inclusive ships, the UBP is included in the fare and the premium upgrade was offered as a perk. We took the upgrade as a perk (valued at $29 per day) and only paid the gratuities, which came to $23.20 total ($5.80 x 4). I can guarantee that if they made everyone pay the $29 + $5.80 per day it wouldn't have been so successful on these ships. 

What they should on all other shops is offer it as a perk as well. If you get 2 perks, maybe UBP is 1 and premium upgrade is a second perk. Basically, move the perks to a credit system and the premium beverage package costs 2 perk credits whereas SDP, regular UBP, Wifi, etc. cost 1 credit each.

• Like 4

On my last sailings of the Escape & the Jade, I was very disappointed to find them pre-mixing many of their signature drinks in huge dispensers that were left sitting on the back counters and on the bars.  This was especially gross at the Spice bar after they were sitting out in the sun all afternoon separating.  I made a point to avoid these bars and drinks.  This was a huge sign of the beverage package decline.  I'll be Platinum Plus after my next cruise in a few weeks.  After 20 plus cruises, all but 4 on NCL, I will be taking a hard look at the other lines.  I'm saddened that it's finally come to that point!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, bbnjcruiser said:

Given the markup what’s the quality of some of the wines that are 7.95$ Hobo wine?

Not sure but the Riesling I drink is $21.95/glass?  Whoa!  The corkage fee is making more and more sense the more I read.

Just another GOUGE by NCL...

The terms of my cruise package, which has been paid for for months require me to pay pentalties for changesI initiate. Yet, Now, NCL changing the terms of my vacation terms only to excerpt additional funds from their passengers who are held hostage during their "Last Minute" drink package "restructure".

An Unfair roll out of their newest CA$H COW !

NCL, rethink your method of introduction, don't change the rules for those who are loyal customers and book cruises in advance with specific terms & conditions.  You have certain obligations to your passengers as well !

• Like 5

• i got the free at sea and chose the beverage package, now I wonder if that was a good choice at all.  alcohol is not that important that I need to pay $25 per drink for my 1-2 drinks per day.  I might have to reconsider how this works out with a pencil n paper.  I want to cruise to Alaska this fall, but maybe I need to get a different cruise line to take my $$ instead.  
  • just sayin.  Leaving on the Gem this Sunday the 27th. I always tip extra with $2 bills for each drink, but now it looks like they get plenty in Gratuities  at the bars without the extra. maybe save it for the Room people. 
Edited by nd53
spelling

Funny topic, I was criticisised, called mean when I started a thread “Why are drinks so expensive on NCL”  The drinks prices are outrageous, I moaned about Hendricks being taken out the UBP last year, New Zealand Savinguon Blanc been made bottle only.

If you had moaned at the first increase, the second increase wouldn’t have happened.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is what i just received from my PCC when I inquired:

I see what you mean – the main difference is the one you have now like always includes drinks up to $15 – the new one includes all drinks up to $35 if you wanted it instead

Here is what else I know about it below:

The PPBP can be purchased as follows: 

·         Guests who already have the Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP) can upgrade to the new PPBP once they get ONBOARD for $34.80 pp/pd (including 20% gratuity) 

Premium Plus Beverage Package Terms and Conditions

·         Must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy.

·         Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise.

·         Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable.

·         Eligible guests are entitled to two beverages per person per transaction.                                                               

·         Includes all beverages by the glass. Beverage selection is subject to change onboard.

·         Includes fountain soda, freshly squeezed juice, bottled water (flat and sparkling), energy drinks, non-alcoholic beer, and specialty coffee (for all Sky and Sun voyages coffee inclusion is limited to dining rooms only).                                     

·         Includes select wines by the bottle when dining. Select wine list is subject to change.

·         For non-select bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), “Wine and Spirit Experiences”, tastings, and flights, guest will receive a 40% discount when purchased on board.

·         Does not include: Room service, mini bar purchases, wine dispenser, vending machines, or pre-cruise wine bottle purchases.

·         Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.      

·         Package can be used in onboard restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay.

·         Offer is not applicable on Harvest Caye, nor sailings that are two (2) days or less.

·         A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases.

·         Guests purchasing this package on board during the dates of March 1st through April 15th may only be able to purchase on embarkation day.

·         No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included.

·         Package price is subject to change.

·         Other terms and conditions may apply.  

All my previous NCL sailings, I've taken the UBP and the dining as a perk.  I have 4 cruise next certs...they will be used on a balcony sailaway cabin...no perks...the up charge has gotten out of hand, just to get to the free at sea...then the grats...then the extra package to drink decent BOOZE.    Two more balcony cruises at most...at the cheapest rate....

No more cruise next purchases for me.  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, omarchs said:

MSC is in the process of downgrading their included drink packages too so they are all the same looking for extra cash.

They have changed recently, but the cruise I have booked includes certain BEER and well liquors,  bottle water, certain coffees etc....no upcharge I've seen yet.  I  more than likely will be upgrading it to the premium package before sailing..I like the good stuff IF I'm going to drink.  So far the price is about $1000 cheaper for two in a balcony cabin for the NCL cruises of the same time period I was looking at.    I believe the upgrade on MSC will be cheaper than the add on fee on NCL for the premiums..  I shall soon find out for sure.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Since Haven guests haven't received.......ANYTHING positive in the past 4 years, how about giving Haven/suite guests the PPBP as their promo and giving the UBP/UOB promo (with the option to upgrade) for the rest?

...Plus 20% added, naturally.

Wont'happen, but nice thought. How about if you have UBP,  they don't charge you to bring on your own wine? They charge you extra to not drink the free drinks you've already paid gratuity for? Makes no sense.  

• Like 1

Just hung up with customer service, attempted to find out if the Dawn has changed to the new pricing since we leave in 2 weeks. They couldn't tell me anything of course, but they definitely were interested in how I got my information and where it was being discussed. I told them to tell NCL they need to start reading this thread because people are not happy!

• Like 2

3 years ago we were doing a TransAtlantic from Houston (last sailing out of the then-new Houston cruise terminal) onboard the Jade.

The ship made a stop in Miami where Frank Del Rio and his entourage boarded for a couple of hours. As I 

was walking by the pool, I overheard Del Rio chew out the Hotel Director for "consistently failing to meet

targeted passenger bar revenue" .... I seem to remember those were his exact words!

Edited by c r u i s e

I understand how people could feel it's a bait & switch and you're on vacation that you paid for and you want what you want.

But I'm not comfortable with the tone of some comments here. Maybe it's unintentional but if feels not so nice.   I understand Haven cabins are expensive.  Maybe switch to a normal, but very nice, cabin freeing up a lot of cash for your top shelf liquor.

i would enjoy my cruise a lot more if there was no Haven class at all and if there were less drinking.  Which I'm sure a lot of people will view as also aggressive or unkind.

• Haha 1

It's all revenue. If there are ships without premium cabins like Haven and less drinking, they have to make up the lost profits elsewhere. So be careful what you wish for or else there will be surcharges for deck chairs, utensils, using the elevators, etc.

• Haha 1