Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

4 minutes ago, xakeridi said:

I understand how people could feel it's a bait & switch and you're on vacation that you paid for and you want what you want.

But I'm not comfortable with the tone of some comments here. Maybe it's unintentional but if feels not so nice.   I understand Haven cabins are expensive.  Maybe switch to a normal, but very nice, cabin freeing up a lot of cash for your top shelf liquor.

i would enjoy my cruise a lot more if there was no Haven class at all and if there were less drinking.  Which I'm sure a lot of people will view as also aggressive or unkind.

See, I don't want to fall into this trap here but perhaps one of the lines that doesn't have a beverage package would be more suitable? I don't know. My comment is just another example of one that could be considered aggressive I guess. Sorry. People are on vacation to blow off steam and have a good time. To each their own whether they enjoy the haven or 6 or 7 martinis. Albeit now cheaper grade martinis unless they pay a premium. I think I hear Celebrity calling my name.

9 minutes ago, xakeridi said:

I understand how people could feel it's a bait & switch and you're on vacation that you paid for and you want what you want.

But I'm not comfortable with the tone of some comments here. Maybe it's unintentional but if feels not so nice.   I understand Haven cabins are expensive.  Maybe switch to a normal, but very nice, cabin freeing up a lot of cash for your top shelf liquor.

i would enjoy my cruise a lot more if there was no Haven class at all and if there were less drinking.  Which I'm sure a lot of people will view as also aggressive or unkind.

Welcome. Joined 1 year ago and your first post is here?

People are upset that they raised drink prices %20 or more on the good brands without telling anyone after they were included free for a package we already paid for.

$5 for a shot/drink that was free last week is not good for business.

We have a deposit for next year. Going to shop the new prices and more then likely try something new.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ja2nowak said:

See, I don't want to fall into this trap here but perhaps one of the lines that doesn't have a beverage package would be more suitable? I don't know. My comment is just another example of one that could be considered aggressive I guess. Sorry. People are on vacation to blow off steam and have a good time. To each their own whether they enjoy the haven or 6 or 7 martinis. Albeit now cheaper grade martinis unless they pay a premium. I think I hear Celebrity calling my name.

Celebrity is currently offering their premium drink package on cruises as a perk.  Here we come!! 

Edited by CruisinHarvey
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, xakeridi said:

i would enjoy my cruise a lot more if there was no Haven class at all and if there were less drinking.  Which I'm sure a lot of people will view as also aggressive or unkind

I can understand enjoying a cruise more if there were fewer/zero people who "overdrink" but I can't see how eliminating the Haven would make a cruise better. If the Haven areas were open to all, they would be just as crowded as the rest of the ship. Nothing gained there other than possibly the view.

4 hours ago, pizzuti15 said:

Does anyone know if all people staying in the same cabin must upgrade to the $29/day package or can only 1 person decide too? 

"Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise"

It looks like if 1 person 21 or older upgrades, all others in the stateroom who are 21 or older must also upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

"Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise"

It looks like if 1 person 21 or older upgrades, all others in the stateroom who are 21 or older must also upgrade.

I mean, that makes sense or everyone would just have one person in the cabin upgrade and buy top shelf booze for everyone else....

13 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I can understand enjoying a cruise more if there were fewer/zero people who "overdrink" but I can't see how eliminating the Haven would make a cruise better. If the Haven areas were open to all, they would be just as crowded as the rest of the ship. Nothing gained there other than possibly the view.

I find the number of people who make sure to tell you that they are Haven passengers and then proceed to be deeply unpleasant is pretty high.  So I'd be happier if that wasn't an option at all.

40 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Welcome. Joined 1 year ago and your first post is here?

People are upset that they raised drink prices %20 or more on the good brands without telling anyone after they were included free for a package we already paid for.

$5 for a shot/drink that was free last week is not good for business.

We have a deposit for next year. Going to shop the new prices and more then likely try something new.

The first thing I said was  I understand people feeling bait & switch was wrong.  But the level of outrage just feels out of place to me.

46 minutes ago, ja2nowak said:

Every cruise line has a way of maximizing their profits, that's just capitalism. And it does reflect badly that it was not really announced/explained to people already booked. But I just don't understand the level of outrage.

38 minutes ago, CruisinHarvey said:

Celebrity is currently offering their premium drink package on cruises as a perk.  Here we come!! 

You said it best! And thanks for the heads up. I just reconfigured my package with the new perk!

Full disclosure, we do have NCL booked at a competitive rate later this year, but will try Celebrity again prior to our NCL sail, and even considering MSC Yacht Club as an alternative. 

Edited by willsears94
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, xakeridi said:

I find the number of people who make sure to tell you that they are Haven passengers and then proceed to be deeply unpleasant is pretty high.  So I'd be happier if that wasn't an option at all.

Those types of unpleasant people can be anywhere. If there was no Haven, those people would find another way to be unpleasant....(chair hogs :classic_wink:)

• Like 1

I'm Haven, and I'll tell you that DH would be VERY unpleasant without it 😆  He says vacay is to relax without crowds, he enjoys cruising, but doesn't like impersonal service, crowded pools, long lines, etc, etc.  

As for the price increase, NCL states that they can raise prices, etc. however - if you buy a product at a specific price with specific inclusions, it IS wrong (morally, anyway which doesn't fly in business) to CHANGE what has been bought after it is bought and paid for.  What's next - you pay for a cabin and then get informed that cruise line has decided to charge $x/day for towels & cleaning service--which of course WERE included at booking time.  This is really not much different.

BUT - NCL does say that they can change terms & inclusions at any time.....

it's business - the only thing NCL will  understand is people cancelling bookings or booking elsewhere and telling NCL their specific reasons, but with the % of cabins sold, I doubt anything will change.

FWIW we're sailing late April and I'm pretty ticked, and do feel like it's a "bait & switch".  Since we are past final payment we have zero options, other than perhaps cancelling the UBP perk, which I am not going to do--we'll just make do with less expensive booze.  I'm not a big drinker and as long as they have some sort of vodka available we'll survive.  For us it's more the principle of the thing - I want what I bought, not a cheaper version sold at full price.

• Like 3

I am traveling in April DOS - 2 people drink alcohol, 2 do not - at $89 a day, I hesitated buying the drink package but thought since 3rd & 4th were free, the overall cost was ok. Now if either of the drinkers want high end alcohol I need to spend another $180 CAD per day?!?!? ($34 US is $45 CAD)

I cancelled our Jan 2020 cruise as the overall cost isn't reasonable, PCC was surprised that the new package had already been rolled out, his information was it was to be effective in March. Any comments about MSC Yacht club with a 16 month old?

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Shopping around and not putting be all of your eggs in one basket is the way to go.  There are many that are loyal to a specific line and then there are those that are loyal to their wallet and what constitutes a perceived value to them.  Some like the perks that the Haven or MSC's Yacht Club provides.  Others just want a balcony to relax on or a drinks package to enjoy. No reason to be loyal, after the Bliss in Feb, we'll be on the Horizon, Edge and Oasis visiting Eastern, Southern, Western and Bahamas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YVRBassElectric said:

I am traveling in April DOS - 2 people drink alcohol, 2 do not - at $89 a day, I hesitated buying the drink package but thought since 3rd & 4th were free, the overall cost was ok. Now if either of the drinkers want high end alcohol I need to spend another $180 CAD per day?!?!? ($34 US is $45 CAD)

I cancelled our Jan 2020 cruise as the overall cost isn't reasonable, PCC was surprised that the new package had already been rolled out, his information was it was to be effective in March. Any comments about MSC Yacht club with a 16 month old?

If you have people who don't drink/only drink occassionally just buy the drinks al la carte.  You don't need a package.

46 minutes ago, xakeridi said:

Every cruise line has a way of maximizing their profits, that's just capitalism. And it does reflect badly that it was not really announced/explained to people already booked. But I just don't understand the level of outrage.

I don't know if I'm outraged. I agree with you that they need to make money, answer to shareholders, and earn their sweet bonuses. Ships don't build themselves after all. But since it's inception the UBP has been toyed with and been reduced in value while the price has been driven up. The only practical way to get UBP now for most people is if it's a perk and they just took mid level quality alcohol out of the package. I think it's just disappointing. I think the ultimate goal is for them to offer an all inclusive experience akin to what the UK folks get. It explains the ever increasing prices on the perks, DSC, and gratuities without much in return. I just wish they would get on with it if that is indeed their goal.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xakeridi said:

If you have people who don't drink/only drink occassionally just buy the drinks al la carte.  You don't need a package.

If you paid a la carte for a drink with a double shot of Grey Goose it would cost $47.88.

Edited by gmbhardy
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, xakeridi said:

Since you went there, your tone is unkind.

Most people on cruises do not overdrink even with the UBP.

People have every right to be upset about this unannounced price change, IMHO.

Please move on if the discussion upsets you.

Thank you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

"xakeridi" was replying to the post from  "YVRBassElectric" which stated that 2 of the 4 do not drink alcohol. The advice makes sense. 

My intent was to comment on all of the posts by 'xakeridi' not just the one; their tone and generalizations has been unkind to others.

My apologies for not making that more clear.

Hey, I have a question.  One of the threads talked about a bar running out of the “included” vodka and just having the upcharge vodka.  All this upcharge talk is just for the shots, right?  So if I want a mixed drink on the menu for say $10.95, if I don’t specify a premium brand then it is $10.95 even if they run out of the house booze?

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

If you paid a la carte for a drink with a double shot of Grey Goose it would cost $47.88.

That does sound drastic but if you only have one drink a day that's still cheaper than the package. You have to consider your usage.