Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

For those that say, this is a tempest in a teapot and will blow over - 

IF it bothers you enough to look to sail elsewhere, and IF you want to have a prayer of anything changing, TELL NCL WHAT YOU THINK!  Sure, post here but also email NCL and state your opinion.  May not do any good but won't hurt.

My beef personally - it isn't going to affect me UNLESS there are additional price hikes, because I'm not a picky drinker - but I don't like paying for something, and then finding AFTER I have paid and planned to use what I bought, that the price and terms have changed and "the price isn't the price" as one place once said....

If NCL wants to price themselves out of the market that's their business - but don't sell me something and AFTER I've paid for it and hypothetically locked in the price, THEN raise the price on me.  IF they want to increase their price, at least grandfather in the folks who have paid in full prior to price increase - same as cruise fare changes or DSC changes.

And given the constant price increases in a lot of areas, I'm crossing my fingers that there won't be another round of drink price increases before I sail.  

Edited by erdoran
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

so true: I am sure we are all very disappointed in the changes. I think it sucks truthfully but I know, like when they added the service charge for room service and did other policy changes that affected most of us, in a few months as you said, it will be in the past. Not to mention, you will be hearing about similar changes on other lines. This is the way it goes. 

OceanBlueWaters: Why do you think it wasn't advertised? Does Ford tell you in advance they are raising the prices on all trucks or have you seen your favorite hotel chain tell you, the room you always get for $175.00 a night with free cocktail hour has been changed to $190.00 a night and no more happy hour?  and I am not saying this as a cheerleader in this case. That if for certain. 

Invalid. If you have already paid, and Ford or a hotel changes prices, they still honor what you paid for. They certainly do not tell you when you pick up you vehicle or get to your hotel that you need ot pay more or you get less than what you paid for.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, erdoran said:

IF it bothers you enough to look to sail elsewhere, and IF you want to have a prayer of anything changing, TELL NCL WHAT YOU THINK!  Sure, post here but also email NCL and state your opinion.  May not do any good but won't hurt. 

I have done just this as I have an upcoming cruise in a few weeks, their reply has no compassion or explanation, they simply gave me a list of what is included now.

I have also now passed my concerns to a UK BBC consumer program called "Rip of Britain - Holidays".

The list is actually quite useful and shows what is now covered and I post it below FYI.

Beverage brands.jpg

Edited by ziggyuk

2 minutes ago, ninjanurse77 said:

So this list is different that the ones that have been posted from people on board the ships that this has gone live on.....

I don't think it is.  I think this list simply also includes the items that are below the $15 threshold, so it appears larger.

12 minutes ago, ninjanurse77 said:

no, the lists from on board included items like everyone's favorite, Grey Goose, Whistle Pig Rye, and others. There's *a lot* missing from the flyer NCL sent you. (compared to what is being shown on board)

The list NCL sent me shows everything available under $15 eg no charge.

The onboard meus show everything available from the bar at any price.

9 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

The list NCL sent me shows everything available under $15 eg no charge.

The onboard meus show everything available from the bar at any price.

Ah, your post confused me then. The verbiage in the flyer spoke of "premium", I thought that meant the new package.

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Current Earnings per Share and Stock price:

RCL $8.38, $112.05

CCL $4.44, $56.26

NCL $3.97, $48.72

Here, I'll fix this for you:

Current earnings per share, and percentage of share price for that earnings:

NCL $3.97, $48.72, .0849%

CCL $4.44, $56.26, .0789%

RCL $8.38, $112.05, .0747%

If earnings per share are important, the percentage of the earnings for the purchase price counts too. Would you rather pay $48.97 to see .0849% EPS or $112.05 to see .0747% EPS? In hospitality stocks, I would consider these three absolutely equal and there isn't a clear leader based on EPS.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

I have done just this as I have an upcoming cruise in a few weeks, their reply has no compassion or explanation, they simply gave me a list of what is included now.

I have also now passed my concerns to a UK BBC consumer program called "Rip of Britain - Holidays".

The list is actually quite useful and shows what is now covered and I post it below FYI.

Beverage brands.jpg

What happened to Kettle One and Tito’s?? I’m boarding Friday.

• Like 1

I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm perfectly happy to go a week without any alcohol in order to have a nice vacation. But I understand that indulgence in food and drink is a core goal of many people's vacations, and a cruise is a perfect environment for that (no judgement here, just clarifying for what comes next).

But, if you are drinking 4 or 5 drinks in an evening, can you really taste the difference between alcohol for the fourth and later servings? My thesis is based on my experience with wine tasting trips where, at the fifth winery, all of the wine tastes wonderful and I want to buy cases of the stuff. (But then, maybe you guys are like the ones in the Bible who marveled that the water made into wine was the "best stuff" and not the cheap stuff most hosts bring out at the end of the party).

Maybe slam a few nice beers down that are under the $15 limit and then lower your standards to Ketel One?

4 minutes ago, jpcdds6 said:

What happened to Kettle One and Tito’s?? I’m boarding Friday.

You are right! I didn't spot they were missing, they are showing on the onboard menus on page one, you should be OK.

Edited by ziggyuk

Been following this thread since it started as I just booked the Encore for next January. I just sailed the Escape in July and had a great time with the ubp perk for my wife and I.

I feel bad for the wine drinkers and those who like some of the stuff that has been raised to ridiculous prices. It's a tough call for some to continue with NCL and all these changes make it hard for cruisers like myself to compare the value between cruise lines. Things are probably not going to get simpler as most of the cruise ships are full or close to full for virtually all sailings. It's actually quite amazing how it's grown.

Now I'm one of the few/many that the change in pricing doesn't affect. I like to drink morning to night when I'm cruising but I'm a simple guy who wants to start with Bloody Mary's at 10am for a couple of hours and then slide into my beer phase for most of the rest of the day and night. I of course love the District Brew House. I might throw in a gin and tonic or something with Rum or Tequila but I'm ok with the brands included. My wife likes Tito's and Lemondade so she's good too.

So for me and others who aren't particular, NCL is getting away with their money grab. 

For everyone else, the decisions are becoming more and more difficult and probably more expensive.

Vacations are supposed to be fun and stress free. From reading this thread and others, it appears the stress levels are going up and that's a shame.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Here, I'll fix this for you:

Current earnings per share, and percentage of share price for that earnings:

NCL $3.97, $48.72, .0849%

CCL $4.44, $56.26, .0789%

RCL $8.38, $112.05, .0747%

If earnings per share are important, the percentage of the earnings for the purchase price counts too. Would you rather pay $48.97 to see .0849% EPS or $112.05 to see .0747% EPS? In hospitality stocks, I would consider these three absolutely equal and there isn't a clear leader based on EPS.

Candidly, i'd rather pay $48.97 and then watch my money double through dividends and strong management, as has been the case with RCL.

What I rarely do is invest my money in a company that thrives on nickel and diming customers, returns very average, at best, results to shareholders through zero dividends and low onboard credits, and sets prices at immoral and unethical levels designed to rip off uninformed consumers. That is what I don't do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Beverage brands.jpg

That appears to be the list from the all inclusive cruises and not the new Premium Plus beverage package.  See the * footnotes on the full document below:

image.thumb.png.613f6a05d104331efbaf83c6bcc4b17a.png

5 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

It is very plain what is going on here.

If NCL wanted to simply increase prices they would have just added 20% to all drinks and at the same time added 20% to the allowance making it $18 instead of $15, most people would be happy and only those who pay as you go would be out of pocket.

The fact that they have not increased the allowance and at the same time introduced a premium package that can be paid for, makes the plan obvious.

I believe NCL's end game is to devalue the free/included/perk drinks packages to something like MSC's easy package which includes 1 draft beer, 1 red/white house wines and house spirits with simple mixers. This then allows them (like MSC) to have a range of packages you can purchase to upgrade the drinks package.

Draw people in with free open bars or drinks perks then make the real money upgrading these packages to something people really want.

One big error is to treat Haven in this way, you don't pay that kind of money to be hit with constant extras, nothing about a few $ here and there which anyone in Haven can probably easily afford, it's about the message being sent, having to keep signing for extras, they are just saying they don't value you, MSC treat Yacht Club as royalty, you want it you get it.

NCL simply need to start valuing their guests, the staff onboard treat everyone like royalty but management send a completely different message to passenger, does not matter if you are Haven or inside, you are a walking wallet.

I think this is the best post on the topic to date. Absolutely spot on.

5 minutes ago, senseib said:

That appears to be the list from the all inclusive cruises and not the new Premium Plus beverage package.  See the * footnotes on the full document below:

Of course, it's nothing to do with Premium Plus, as per the replies above it's supposedly everything available under $15 but as has been pointed out already some items like Kettle One and Tito’s are missing for some reason.

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

Of course, it's nothing to do with Premium Plus, as per the replies above it's supposedly everything available under $15 but as has been pointed out already some items like Kettle One and Tito’s are missing for some reason.

Yes.  As per the footnote it is from March 2017 so has nothing to do with what is on the new price lists.

1 minute ago, senseib said:

Yes.  As per the footnote it is from March 2017 so has nothing to do with what is on the new price lists.

NCL say otherwise.

As I said, it was sent to me by NCL today.

The bottom is clearly cropped by them and they say it is a full list of what is included FOC on my upcoming cruise.

It has everything to do with this thread as according to NCL, it lists everything still available after the price hike.

6 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

It is very plain what is going on here.

If NCL wanted to simply increase prices they would have just added 20% to all drinks and at the same time added 20% to the allowance making it $18 instead of $15, most people would be happy and only those who pay as you go would be out of pocket.

The fact that they have not increased the allowance and at the same time introduced a premium package that can be paid for, makes the plan obvious.

I believe NCL's end game is to devalue the free/included/perk drinks packages to something like MSC's easy package which includes 1 draft beer, 1 red/white house wines and house spirits with simple mixers. This then allows them (like MSC) to have a range of packages you can purchase to upgrade the drinks package.

Draw people in with free open bars or drinks perks then make the real money upgrading these packages to something people really want.

One big error is to treat Haven in this way, you don't pay that kind of money to be hit with constant extras, nothing about a few $ here and there which anyone in Haven can probably easily afford, it's about the message being sent, having to keep signing for extras, they are just saying they don't value you, MSC treat Yacht Club as royalty, you want it you get it.

NCL simply need to start valuing their guests, the staff onboard treat everyone like royalty but management send a completely different message to passenger, does not matter if you are Haven or inside, you are a walking wallet.

Yea but who drinks one draft beer ? 

e8d242b44db522fcae24b93b53cce153--corn-flakes-funny-guys.jpg

13 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

NCL say otherwise.

As I said, it was sent to me by NCL today.

The bottom is clearly cropped by them and they say it is a full list of what is included FOC on my upcoming cruise.

It has everything to do with this thread as according to NCL, it lists everything still available after the price hike.

So Woodford Reserve which has always been an up-charge and according to the most recent menu posts is now $22.95 has been moved to the included list?  Very generous of NCL.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:33 PM, gmbhardy said:

I You fully don’t understand the concept of getting “nickeled and dimed” until it punches you in the gut. I’ve posted a number of comments on this topic on two threads that are running concurrently concerning the new liquor pricing and the UBP. To reiterate, I sailed on the Biss January 12 to 19. We chose to be in the Observation Lounge for sail away as the views from that vantage point are stunning. Most of the time my wife and I choose a champagne substitute (prosecco) to toast the start of the cruise but for some reason I decided to order Grand Marnier, my favourite drink, instead. I was shocked when the bartender told me there was now an up charge for Grand Marnier (17.95). I said “since when” (I sailed on the Bliss in November) he said “starting today there is a new liquor menu in effect” and handed me one. Before even looking at it i saked him “what about Grey Goose” and he said “yes also an up charge” (19.95). I was stunned to say the least but collected myself and ordered two proseccos instead. They didn’t have any as their stock for the week had not been replenished yet. This cruise was not getting off to a very good start. Later in the week I attended the Latitudes reception so I could vent my dissatisfaction with the food and beverage manager. I asked him if NCL monitors CC discussions and he said of course they did. So then I said you must know then that the number one complaint about NCL is it’s “nickel and dime” approach to gouging customers. He didn’t quite know how to respond to that comment but instead told me about a new premium beverage package that will soon be available for an additional $28.00/day. I then told him I had six future cruises book with NCL with three being in the Haven and given what I’m paying to stay in the Haven, I can’t fathom having to pay extra for semi premium alcohol. I think our conversation ended at that point. I also noticed a few other new bar policies during the week. With virtually nobody ordering Grey Goose with the $6.00 up charge ($5 + $1 service charge) Tito’s appeared to be the vodka of choice. In the evening if a bar ran of Tito’s they made no effort to get another bottle. I’ve seen resorts in Mexico have limited inventory on some of their premium selections so unless you got there early your chance of getting some was limited. I always considered cruising to be a step above all inclusives resorts, but with changes like this it makes you wonder. Could I afford to pay a little extra for Grand Marnier? Sure I could, but I don’t feel I should have to given the price of cruising, especially in the Haven. The other issue that really bothers me is how they are able to change their product after you purchase it. The travel and tourism industry is notorious for bait and switch tactics and they continue to get away with it. Most businesses would grandfather changes like this but not the travel industry. I have been a loyal NCL customer and in all probability will continue to purchase their products, but in my opinion the NCL brand is starting to deteriorate. When you have the highest priced booze package in the industry and exclude semi premium items from it,  a lot of customers are going to be extremely unhappy. FYI I have attached photos of the new menu. Thanks for letting me vent!

8089A0D8-31DE-4123-938B-5B8C1FB32AE5.jpeg

1E18B7B6-07D6-49FE-A9D2-DA1563F4177D.jpeg

9BF9F015-93FB-4692-95EF-938D59B559E1.jpeg

F60A4963-AE1E-4D2C-BA65-DFC19CA70170.jpeg

53A87A97-C446-4554-B385-B284FAC5AF65.jpeg

9996A736-31B9-44AC-A166-DE23E8B6E6ED.jpeg

Hello, We don't take the drinking package because we don't drink a lot and we refuse to abide by the " FREE BEVERAGE PERK which on our last cruise  would have been  700 dollars for the service charges ( making it not free) that said, We buy a drink here and there and not only are they ridiculously overpriced but the drinks i ordered were seriously watered down. On my last cruise, i decided to order a mojito and all it was was water sugar, when i asked the bartender to do it again , he gave me the same thing. I got angry. I contacted the beverage manager and ask me if he did anything about it,  well he did not, I ordered another drink on another time and same thing, watered down. I called it quits and decided to just drink wine. I agree, the brand is definitely watered down, pun intended.

Edited by spanishguy1970
to add to it

21 minutes ago, senseib said:

So Woodford Reserve which has always been an up-charge and according to the most recent menu posts is now $22.95 has been moved to the included list?  Very generous of NCL.

It is for me! with my email I can print and take with me, I have it in writing everything on that list is included in my package.