Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

23 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I do not agree with any of this new pricing gouge but I just do not get this obsession with Grey Goose. When it comes to the middle of the road vodkas they are almost identical.

I think folks think Grey Goose is high end well its not.

They took some of the whiskeys and bourbons I like out in 2016 even though they are not that expensive to buy which is very lame.

The only thing I think we all should be anoyed with is the changing on the fly pricing and the fact that how far will they go with making things top shelf for the extra charge/

If it ends up being the bar like on the Sky which I will not ever go on that will be the breaking point.

I think folks are using it as more of an example than anything...much like Woodford, or some of the Scotch's that people like.  The fact that they are pricing many upper level alcohols at $20 plus just rubs folks the wrong way.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I think folks are using it as more of an example than anything...much like Woodford, or some of the Scotch's that people like.  The fact that they are pricing many upper level alcohols at $20 plus just rubs folks the wrong way.  

Ding, ding, ding!

Purely an example to cover the plethora of other options they've bumped up as well!

While the upcharge may not personally effect some today depending on their favorites  - it may tomorrow!

Vote with your wallet - it's the only way to truly voice your displeasure and/or approval depending on what's right for you!

Edited by ShowMeCruise

It'll be fun to see how they spin this positively in an eventual press release. "Now guests have the option to spend more to drink whatever they want or, if they want to SAVE money, they can keep the basic package, for their convenience." They'll spend more time praising the "premium" package's ability to purchase specialty coffees, bottled water, and juices without any mention of the increased prices of all your favorite wines and liquors.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

It'll be fun to see how they spin this positively in an eventual press release. "Now guests have the option to spend more to drink whatever they want or, if they want to SAVE money, they can keep the basic package, for their convenience." They'll spend more time praising the "premium" package's ability to purchase specialty coffees, bottled water, and juices without any mention of the increased prices of all your favorite wines and liquors.

Yeah they will say something like they listened to what their customers wanted. And the customers wanted specialty coffees and bottled water included.

• Like 2

This is very concerning. Having the UBP is a big part of what makes the price of the cruise worth it to me, when included as a perk. I like mixed and frozen drinks - if they ever price those above the $15.00 price limit, I would seriously reconsider whether NCL is worth it, especially when the UBP does not include many of the beverage options that other cruise lines include in theirs.  This is a dangerous strategy on NCL's part.  They better keep the majority of alcoholic beverages under the $15 cap, or they very well may lose my business.  Their premium package sounds good, but is far too expensive for me to ever consider.  I would definitely want to go to an all inclusive resort over a cruise, if this gets any worse.  I'm not usually one who needs the more expensive liquor brands, but I completely agree that they are outrageously overpriced as well.

39 minutes ago, erdoran said:

If it stays just this way it doesn't affect me that I can see.  But that's IF...no guarantee, and that's what I don't like.  IF this is testing the waters for making everything other than low-end extra cost, that's a problem.

With the per-drink prices being as high as they are, those who want 2 or more drinks a day are well advised to take the UBP, but then what about folks where there are two adult couples in a cabin?  One couple has to pay full price for drinks or UBP, which is a massive ripoff IMHO.  

I still have a problem getting over my perception of bait & switch - I pay for one thing in good faith, and then what was included at the time I bought it is no longer included.  Not cool.

A nice analogy - years ago there was a company, Colorado Prime, who came to your home to sell you a freezer package.  You got so many packages of hamburger, so many steaks, etc.  Here's the kicker - NOT SOLD BY WEIGHT, sold by # of packages.  "How big is a package?" "it may vary depending on the cost of item".  So yes, if I bought 10 pkgs of hamburger I would get 10 pkgs - but one pkg could be a pound or an ounce or anything in-between.  No, I didn't buy and with those terms, anyone who bought would have been not very smart.  This appears similar, although not quite so egregious - "drinks $15 or under, but WE decide what is $15 and under".  

There was talk on MSC when they did a similar thing, had a price increase, folks IF they asked were grandfathered in - they would get the drinks for the price they were prior to price increase, but one person asked "so do I bring along my printout and every tie I order a drink I have to show it to the bartender, and they may have to call their manager to approve it, etc" - hard to implement.  BUT the grandfathering in is the absolute right thing to do, so those who bought before price increase, who took the time to see what's included, get what they paid for.  Someone else's suggestion of increasing the drink max to $18 would work, and it could be associated with the card.  Or, even better (but won't happen) is just give those of us who are affected by this the premium pkg for free - NEVER HAPPEN but would be nice, sigh....

With today’s computer technology it would be very easy to implement a grandfathering arrangement. They would just have to program yout key card. When swiped the old cost structure would come up. Simply a programming issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Correct. Totally understand and agree that a company is entitled to make a reasonable profit. I own a business and am supportive of many that are profitable. However, to gouge customers with some of the prices I've seen calls into question the ethics and morals of those implementing policies crafted to rip off the consumer. To charge $20 plus a $4 gratuity for a shot of grey goose or $14.95 for Titos (which is US produced not imported by the way) or $20 plus dollars for a glass of wine when I can buy a full bottle of the same wine for half that price is gouging, and it is unsustainable in the long run. Plus, who regularly tips $4 for a server to mix a drink? I make a personal decision not to support companies that regularly rip people off. I am actively looking for cruising alternatives to NCL while the bean counters at NCL are concocting new and creative ways to rip off customers. If I had unlimited wealth maybe I would feel differently, but I don't think so.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It just doesn't even make sense.  The prices they are charging for one drink are in some cases more than 50% of what it would cost to buy the whole bottle.  If their point is to make it so it falls outside the limits of the UBP then it is the people who are paying per drink that really get hosed.  The only time it matters for me is Bourbon and Scotch and they really don't have that large of a selection anyway.  For me, Bulleit and Woodford are fine, no reason to go with Booker's at that price.  And Jack Daniels Black being $20-$25 is laughable.

• Like 2

Just came up with another a la carte cost for Canadian Cruisers. A double shot of Grey Goose would cost you $19.95 x 2 = $39.90, plus 20% service charge = $7.98, plus 35% exchange rate = $16.76, for a grand total of $64.64. Absolutely absurd.

• Like 1

Y'know, I wonder if anyone has tried ordering something that costs more than $15 and less than $30 and asking for two half-servings - in theory that would count as two drinks and then would be included with no upcharge.

So your double shot of Grey Goose - how about ordering 1/2 shot of Grey Goose - two of them - and then a few mins later going back for two more half shots?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

Y'know, I wonder if anyone has tried ordering something that costs more than $15 and less than $30 and asking for two half-servings - in theory that would count as two drinks and then would be included with no upcharge.

So your double shot of Grey Goose - how about ordering 1/2 shot of Grey Goose - two of them - and then a few mins later going back for two more half shots?

It shouldn't have to be this complicated.

Edited by Georgie562
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

I've never heard of them allowing 1/2 shots on NCL. I did think it was sadly funny that another person said they couldn't believe a double shot of grey goose would cost 47.88 without UBP.  We've been to a lot of places. Not another place in the world we've ever been to is close to that expensive.  

Would not be surprised if they will have sales om the upgrades to premium packages, around 15$/day would be resonable. And what is for coffee, water and juice alone. Like celebritys premium package.

Aldo wouldnt be surprised if evian/perrier runs out and the juice machines are out of order... 

22 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Well that $10 covers the cost for inventory...now you just need to account for the employees to serve the drink, the glassware, the bar, and the multi-milliondollar ship to make it a fair and even comparison.

Ummm that bottle is going to,serve four or 5 drinks at 21.95 per glass. - I think a 1,000% return in a bottle of liquor is just an outright ripoff.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

NCL New Years Resolution: to NOT stop the nickel and dime

I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the price of the beverage package another $10.00 per day and maybe even increase the "gratuities" as well. They have already increase the Bliss week pass for the go karts from $99 to $199, steak prices increase in the steak restaurant. That's crazy.

Vibe passes went from 99 to 129......Prohibition Show went from 19.95 to 29.95 (plus 20%)

12 hours ago, iloveislands24 said:

Their premium package sounds good, but is far too expensive for me to ever consider.  I would definitely want to go to an all inclusive resort over a cruise, if this gets any worse.  I'm not usually one who needs the more expensive liquor brands, but I completely agree that they are outrageously overpriced as well.

There are competitors such as Celebrity, MSC and Carnival who have drink packages which are similar to the new upgraded version that NCL is rolling out with.  You need to factor in the total cost of every nuance and make sure you're comparing an apple to an apple.  Due diligence is needed, but you'll save money in the long run.

7 hours ago, bbnjcruiser said:

Ummm that bottle is going to,serve four or 5 drinks at 21.95 per glass. - I think a 1,000% return in a bottle of liquor is just an outright ripoff.

Maybe in fantasy land, but in the real world there is a LOT more involved in pricing than what a bottle costs at Costco. Sorry, but the base cost of alcohol is only one small part of the price of a drink.

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Maybe in fantasy land, but in the real world there is a LOT more involved in pricing than what a bottle costs at Costco. Sorry, but the base cost of alcohol is only one small part of the price of a drink.

Correct, but also keep in mind NCL buys liquor by the pallet, and I would suspect in a country that has a lower tax rate then the US. 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:26 AM, SeaShark said:

Well that $10 covers the cost for inventory...now you just need to account for the employees to serve the drink, the glassware, the bar, and the multi-milliondollar ship to make it a fair and even comparison.

Under your theory, there would have  been an across the board price increase. This was a selective, deliberate, and targeted effort to exempt previously included liquors from the base liquor package so that consumers would have to pay more for their already non- free perk. If you don't buy a beverage  package, you basically can't even afford to pay as  you go anymore. It's called a money grab by a greedy corporation. 

To address your specific cost analysis, the $10 price point for wine at the land based store is intended to cover the cost of inventory, among other things such as store labor, rent, utilities, etc. so it was a totally fair and even comparison

Many specific spirits have seen price increases at 30-40%. The best is the US produced Tito's at 14.95, and a previously under $15 glass of wine to $21.95. many fair-thinking people call this what it is....price gouging and consumer rip off to the highest degree. I choose not to support companies that gouge and rip off their customers. I could financially afford to pay these prices, but it is a matter of principal for me. I get more benefit from donating  $100 to a local charity than paying $100 for four glasses of liquor on a cruise. My body will thank me for it, too.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, vicnsue said:

Correct, but also keep in mind NCL buys liquor by the pallet, and I would suspect in a country that has a lower tax rate then the US. 

I'm sure they buy pallets of alcohol, however I'd be willing to bet NCL buys in the US.