10:00 arrival. Is beach worth it?

cruisegal40

We are looking at doing this island in September. We did it last year also, but the day was rainy so we just walked around the port.  Hoping for better weather this time around.  My question is, it looks like a lot of folks head over to the west end to the beaches. Would it be a waste of time heading over there that late. (we are usually first ones of the ship and any at any given beach by 9:00 a.m.)?  If it's worth it, what beach and why do you recommend it?  TIA

The island is fairly quiet in Sept, it is HOT and DRY.. the dry right before the wet season and relief. Unless mother nature does something out of character the water should be refreshing as well as crystal clear. 

As far as a place to go.. what are your needs:  

West Bay is the premier beach on the island, think postcard perfect.  Plenty of resorts offering day passes with transport, at least  three have pools, walkable from end to end in about 20 mins, easy access to boat free reef snorkeling. The resort restaurant and bars are all public. 

The village of West End offers well, a village with shops and what not. Half Moon Bay Beach is part of West End. Snorkeling is good, depending on the route you may have to watch for boats coming and going from the docks.

As far as worth it or not... experiencing a new place is ALWAYS worth it to me.. but you have to make the choice yourself. 

This thread has more info. 

Crowds are also going to depend upon number of ships in port. If you ship is the only ship, West Bay will not be as crowded as with 2 or 3 ships in either of the ports on the island.  And if there is only 1 ship up in Mahogany Bay and your ship in Coxen Hole, you can assume that about 1/3 of the pax on the ship in Mahogany Bay will stay up at the beach at that port. And probably a large group will take cruise excursions to Tabayana Beach.  So staying up around Bananarama or Beachers or heading to West End will probably also lessen the crowds you'll experience.

Crewsweeper is right, far more ships going to Roatan in Sept than I thought, though there are several days of only one ship, if the schedule is current.   Do check the schedules for your date. There are two ports Mahogany Bay and The Port of Roatan.  

Bananarama is a zoo on a good day... Beacher's maybe a bit quieter. 

Thank you everyone for replies.  I'm still not sure which cruise we are picking, however, this does help in planning. I feel that if we get off quickly we can utilities the beach and facilities to their potential.  Again thanks for the insight.   Much appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

Thank you everyone for replies.  I'm still not sure which cruise we are picking, however, this does help in planning. I feel that if we get off quickly we can utilities the beach and facilities to their potential.  Again thanks for the insight.   Much appreciated. 

Also remember Roatan is on CST with no DST in 2019.

Difference between ship time and local time could depend on where your ship leaves from, time of year and your captain. 

Edited by c-leg5