Food on Norwegian

susan1957

imho they are similar in quality. I like the brunch options and the lunch options more on Carnival. But I thought the specialty dining was better on NCL vs Carnival. For mdr dinner I found there was no real winner between the 2, although when I sailed Carnival I thought there were more seafood options.

buffets - carnival is inedible imho. I have to grab a burger at guy's burger, and it tastes good. just know that it is dripping in oil and lard. it can't be too healthy for you.

ncl has more options and has a more diverse pallet. this is a positive for me, but i could see how people wouldn't like this. 

MDR - carnival has lobster. i don't eat seafood but others do. for some, no lobster is a deal breaker. food is very salty imo, and i love salt. best way to describe carnival food is that it is literally the complete antithesis of food on princess, if that means anything to anyone. 

NCL again has a more diverse option, so i enjoy it. o'shean's is SO CLUTCH at 2 am. 

specialty restaurant - carnival -never done it

NCL lots of variety. great quality. fun shows. things like the knock off Benihana can be a wonderful exp if you never seen this before. only issue is that it can be booked up fast as many people get dinning packages. 

They have similar offerings, presented differently.

I like Carnival's casual options during the day.  Guy's burgers, BBQ, Wok, Indian, Burrito joint, deli and pizza.  However, they are individual counter service locations.  Deli is open until 11 or 12 PM.  Pizza is fresh made 24 hours.  They also have 24 hour soft serve ice cream.  However, Carnival has nothing like O'Sheehans.

NCL has more upcharge options.  Carnival was Steakhouse only for quite a while, but has recently been expanding the upcharge options.

The main dining rooms are similar, but I agree with the above poster who said that Carnival's offerings often seem saltier.

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

o'shean's is SO CLUTCH at 2 am. 

Truer words were never spoken!!!  Other ships have late night/all night venues, but things like the Cafe Promenade on Royal just don't compare to being able to sit down for a hot, greasy meal after a night of clubbing, dancing, etc.  ALWAYS look forward to this option.  The food isn't the world's greatest there, but at 2am...mediocre buffalo wings or a standard cheeseburger still tastes darn good.

I have found that I like NCL food just a little better than RCL or Carnival, overall (talking about the "Free" stuff).  But not such much as to have found a dealbreaker.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Like most things they all have some plus and minuses.   A definite plus for Carnival is their Guy Burger and fresh made pizza.  Guy's is a midday on deck offering and has just fantastic burgers!   Don't know why they are so good but my wife and I both agree they are the best.  Carnival also offers a great flat iron steak in the main dining room included in the regular dining that is head and shoulders better than all the other cruise lines we've been on.  I could eat it every night.

We are platinum on NCL and receive 2 free meals on our cruises.   Cagneys has a great filet mignon that steak lovers should like.   The best specialty restaurant though is Moderno.   It is a Brazian  churrascaria which is fantastic.   We don't eat a lot of red meat but when on a cruise it's a great treat, especially the filet wrapped in bacon.   

You did not ask but Royal Caribbean's food is not always my favorite.   Some of the  meals are just fine but but they do not seem to have as many options and too many meals are hit or miss.

But no matter what I'd rather eat anything on a cruise then prepare my own meals at home (and I'm a decent cook).

Happy cruising!

John

• Like 1

On the Jade last fall, all our meals were excellent-Cagney’s, Bistro & MDR.

On Carnival last year it was hit or miss. One night the best duck I’ve had in a long time, the next night a pale chicken breast  & frozen veg. 

After cruising NCL and Royal I am now on my first carnival breeze cruise. Gotta say we are really missing the NCL buffet, much bigger, more diverse and better layout. We also like MDR food better on NCL and Royal, though Carnival has built far the best desserts. Carnival tried to make up for small buffet with Guys burger and blue iguana ( both yummy). By the second day though I got pretty sick of the lines on Carnival, couldn’t even get near the deli. Carnival has the BEST pizza at sea, so good. Also late night food on NCL is way better and more of it. Carnival still has lobster one night which is good. The food isn’t bad on Carnival just a bit better on NCL.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, susan1957 said:

Hi there, (I know everyone's taste buds are not the same, having said that)....how would you compare Norwegian's food to that of Carnival...if you have sailed on both lines...TIA

Haven't sailed Carnival in years so my opinion might be outdated but NCL has better food and a much better selection of places to eat. Again, just an opinion. 

• 1 month later...