Alternatives to NCL?

JamieLogical

4 hours ago, BNBR said:

I did Reflection a couple of months ago.  One of their newest and larger ships.  It was undeniably a "classier" experience.  But that isn't for everyone - especially if you kind of like water slides and a more "fun" atmosphere.  My wife would prefer Celebrity, me, not so much.

And yes, they do a great buffet and the Indian food was killer!

Concur.  Our kids would have liked slides, but we knew this ship had none. Still a good time.  We were on infinity, which fit our schedule. We seem to really like ncl for combo of pricing, food, fun for kids, but we will do nearly any cruise that fits our time constraints.

1 hour ago, BlueLineCowboy said:

Hi OP - 

Question about your experience on NCL New England/Canada cruise.  How was the activity on the ship while at sea? What was the average age on the ship? Dd the crew schedule enough activities at night? ie: karaoke, games and late night bars? TY.

Definitely fewer children on the sailing (though still many). I would say, in general, the average age of the adult population was about what we've experienced on other NCL sailings. As for activities, we were on the Gem, which is a smaller ship than the others we've been on. The live music in the bars/lounges was much better than we've experienced on the larger ships. I also think the Bliss Ultra Lounge was a better venue for Karaoke than the 5 O'CLock Somewhere Bar and the Cavern Club. We definitely enjoyed the karaoke most nights. Also, the Spinnaker was a better venue for the "game shows than the Atrium on the larger ships.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Than what??

We consider them a great value and a wonderful new concept in cruising.

well we paid $449 per person for a 10 day inside room on ncl, what is the minimum price for a 10 day viking cruise?

13 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Sorry, no idea.

Don’t believe Viking is going for the minimum price market.

"Than what?? We consider them a great value and a wonderful new concept in cruising."  That was your response to a question about viking being "expensive"

So Im trying to figure this out, so you consider viking to be "great value" but this value has nothing to do with overall cost?  So your basing this argument based on experiences without concern for monetary considerations?   Or am I missing something?

12 minutes ago, Newleno said:

"Than what?? We consider them a great value and a wonderful new concept in cruising."  That was your response to a question about viking being "expensive"

So Im trying to figure this out, so you consider viking to be "great value" but this value has nothing to do with overall cost?  So your basing this argument based on experiences without concern for monetary considerations?   Or am I missing something?

Viking includes a lot of items that other cruise lines charge for.

In addition, a great value includes other subjective factors, such as customer service, our fit with the typical Viking customer, past reaction to the Vik8ng experience, etc.

I have never spreadsheet one line against another, as we view the purchase decision as more complex than a simple numbers comparison.

A good analogy might be the pricing of drinks packages. I’ll pay Viking’s $20 per day every trip without any need to project how many drinks per day I might drink, because $20 per day is, in my mind, a good value for unlimited drinks without 

signing a slip for every drink. It’s part of the experience.

YMMV.

I've looked at Viking a couple of times.  It's certainly not "value" minded.  And, the least expensive cabin I found (sailing 10 months out) was somewhere between $10K-$11K.  That said, they do include drinks and specialty dining as well as a free excursion (not sure if these have limited offerings, though).

They sail with fewer passengers than NCL, but their ships are smaller, too.

Hard to tell about entertainment, but they purport to have lectures you can go to.  Never have felt I would want to go to a lecture while vacationing on a cruise, but it's apparent some like that.

The times I've sailed in NCL's Haven, it's been less than half what Viking charges, but the NCL ships I've sailed are part of the new "mega-ships" breed that the mainstream cruise lines seem to be favoring.  Usually, those Haven cabins some with the drink package and dining packages (where you only pay for the tips).  I truly do enjoy the entertainment on NCL better than any other entertainment on any other cruise line.  Plus, I've always received fantastic service from NCL, both inside and outside the Haven.

Viking doesn't sail with children, if I'm not mistaken. Some will consider that a big positive.  So, I understand that.  Not sure what Viking's dress requirements are.  But, if they require the whole Tux/Suit/Gown routine, that would be a deal breaker for me.  

I'm mildly interested in Carnival's Havana category on their new ships.  But, nothing else on Carnival pops out as something to make them more appealing to me.

I've sailed on Celebrity a few years ago (Solstice) and was surprisingly underwhelmed.  I understand their new ship(s) are something different.  But, unless I could score a "deal", they'll probably stay on the back burner.

Done the latest and greatest for the most part with RCCL. I like Royal.  Hard for me to get the same value as I get with NCL as I'm Platinum with NCL.  They give me some nice perks.

2 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Viking includes a lot of items that other cruise lines charge for.

In addition, a great value includes other subjective factors, such as customer service, our fit with the typical Viking customer, past reaction to the Vik8ng experience, etc.

I have never spreadsheet one line against another, as we view the purchase decision as more complex than a simple numbers comparison.

A good analogy might be the pricing of drinks packages. I’ll pay Viking’s $20 per day every trip without any need to project how many drinks per day I might drink, because $20 per day is, in my mind, a good value for unlimited drinks without 

signing a slip for every drink. It’s part of the experience.

YMMV.

ok thanks now it makes sense to me, we all have different experiences and what is important.   words can be misconstrued.  the Value of the experience does not have to equate with monetary value.  

On 4/23/2019 at 9:16 AM, Tatka said:

Why? Guarantee cabin is a concept not exclusive to NCL.

What does drink package has to do with it?

Because people are using it as a way to justify that the "free" drink package is not free due to the price difference.

If I book a cabin and choose my own room, the price is $300/pp (for example). If I let NCL pick my room for me - guarantee cabin rate - the price is lower and only $250/pp (for example). You're right, the drink package has nothing to do with it. The price increase was for the convenience of choosing my own cabin.

The argument that I don't care for is when people claim that by choosing the "free" drink package their cabin price suddenly becomes $350/pp, whereas the guarantee cabin rate is lower at $300/pp. They are claiming the increase is because of the drinks, not because of the ability to choose your own cabin ahead of time. Regardless of the drink package, it is always cheaper to let NCL (or any other cruise line) pick your cabin for you.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:49 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Because people are using it as a way to justify that the "free" drink package is not free due to the price difference.

If I book a cabin and choose my own room, the price is $300/pp (for example). If I let NCL pick my room for me - guarantee cabin rate - the price is lower and only $250/pp (for example). You're right, the drink package has nothing to do with it. The price increase was for the convenience of choosing my own cabin.

The argument that I don't care for is when people claim that by choosing the "free" drink package their cabin price suddenly becomes $350/pp, whereas the guarantee cabin rate is lower at $300/pp. They are claiming the increase is because of the drinks, not because of the ability to choose your own cabin ahead of time. Regardless of the drink package, it is always cheaper to let NCL (or any other cruise line) pick your cabin for you.

Well, "free at sea" is not available with GTY. So somehow it is tied.