First Time Cruiser - ID Questions

zeph918

Thank you all so much for all the terrific answers I got on my last batch of questions.   They were very helpful and I now understand how the MDR and such work.   My next concern is ID requirements.

I dont have a problem taking our drivers license or birth certificates.    We have official documents complete with seals.    We do not have passports.   We COULD get them, but if you read my last post, this is all going to be a total surprise to my wife and if I make her get a passport, she will KNOW something is in the books.   

So with that being said, what about her last name?   She got married to me (duh), and it doesn't match her birth certificate.    Would bringing a copy of our marriage license bridge the gap for this?   I dont know what else would suffice.    Id love to be able to get passports and be done with it but you have to go in person to do all that and like I said, my secret would be out of the bag.     

You will get many opinions and I understand on a closed end cruise, passports are not required, but definitely suggested. Personally, I would never leave U.S. soil without a passport. Too many things can happen, probably not, but if you got injured and had to leave the country, it would be a royal P.I.A. Again this is just my opinion and $145 for 10 years is a bargain and the gold standard for travel and identification. 

Edited by coevan
sp
  • Like 1

Awesome, so a marriage licence will suffice.  Thanks!     Oh and side note, I bought travel insurance as you guys suggested in my last post.   Just over 100 bucks is a small price to pay for coverage during hurricane season!

• Like 1

yep, I agree, right from the source
Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel (unless otherwise noted). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the 

54 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

Awesome, so a marriage licence will suffice.  Thanks!     Oh and side note, I bought travel insurance as you guys suggested in my last post.   Just over 100 bucks is a small price to pay for coverage during hurricane season!

Yes, the marriage license is a necessary "bridging" document.  Now, doesn't mean they will always ask to see it but if they do, you want it in your hand.

Travelling outside of the USA, or any country, without a passport could be risky.  I would not be worried about that since you are taking a cruise at the height of hurricane season.  That is risky,  You get a good price for sure but you are gambling on good weather.  Good luck.  

12 minutes ago, dreslercarie said:

Will a passport card work? 

Yes, a passport card functions the same as a passport for the purposes of closed loop cruises within North America and the Caribbean.

As for everyone saying "you should get a passport anyway", the OP has made it quite clear why they do not wish to go down that path.  Since DL + BC (and marriage license) are sufficient, let them go that way.  For the next cruise they can get passports, since it will hopefully not be such a surprise.

• Like 1

Thanks all.   As luck would have it, I'm pretty sneaky lol.  I told my wife that I may need a passport for a new opportunity at work which may require travel into mexico.    I'm a truck driver.   We can go to mexico with just our CDL but she doesn't know that.    Told her my company is paying for mine but we may as well get her one too so they stay in sync with each other.   She agreed and still has no clue about the surprise.    *evil grin*

1 hour ago, zeph918 said:

Thanks all.   As luck would have it, I'm pretty sneaky lol.  I told my wife that I may need a passport for a new opportunity at work which may require travel into mexico.    I'm a truck driver.   We can go to mexico with just our CDL but she doesn't know that.    Told her my company is paying for mine but we may as well get her one too so they stay in sync with each other.   She agreed and still has no clue about the surprise.    *evil grin*

ohhhh...you sneaky devil :):)  I like it!!   You are a good catch!!

Our last cruise was in October. All we have ever used is our DL and BC.  Clearly, my name is different but what they look at is first name and dob and making sure your DL has the same DOB. 

So, to answer your question. DL and BC is all you need. 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:46 PM, mexicobob said:

Travelling outside of the USA, or any country, without a passport could be risky.  I would not be worried about that since you are taking a cruise at the height of hurricane season.  That is risky,  You get a good price for sure but you are gambling on good weather.  Good luck.  

The only risk in not having a passport is delay in returning to the US IF something happens that means that you have to. The risk of that is very low for most passengers so as long as they are comfortable with that risk it's a viable option.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:27 PM, coevan said:

You will get many opinions and I understand on a closed end cruise, passports are not required, but definitely suggested. Personally, I would never leave U.S. soil without a passport. Too many things can happen, probably not, but if you got injured and had to leave the country, it would be a royal P.I.A. Again this is just my opinion and $145 for 10 years is a bargain and the gold standard for travel and identification. 

It's only a bargain if you are going to use it. For many people a cruise is one and done so spending money on something that is not needed isn't a bargain at all. I've left US soil without a passport my entire life up until 2015 when I actually needed a passport for my travel so it's not that big a deal to me.

And OP back when we were cruising without passports we always brought our marriage certificate but we were never asked for it.

Edited by sparks1093