Southampton hotel

marnie2005

Looking for a recommendation for a nice , central, hotel in Southampton within walking distance of cruise port and exploring...also, will be flying in Heathrow and wondering the easiest way to get to Southampton, thinking car service??? Any thoughts, Thank you

Try the London Tool kit for some travel tips, not just for London but also for transfers to Southampton.

The Holiday Inn is close to some of the docks (right by Gate 😎 and to Old town but it would really depend on which dock your ship will be at, and how much luggage you are dragging around.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:25 AM, MicCanberra said:

Try the London Tool kit for some travel tips, not just for London but also for transfers to Southampton.

The Holiday Inn is close to some of the docks (right by Gate 😎 and to Old town but it would really depend on which dock your ship will be at, and how much luggage you are dragging around.

This is true, Holiday Inn, but make sure you book the one in Herbert Walker Avenue.  Grand Harbour Hotel is opposite a bit newer and probably more expensive but not always. Both have swimming pools. Taxis from these to ship would be roughly £7

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On 1/23/2019 at 1:23 AM, marnie2005 said:

Looking for a recommendation for a nice , central, hotel in Southampton within walking distance of cruise port and exploring...also, will be flying in Heathrow and wondering the easiest way to get to Southampton, thinking car service??? Any thoughts, Thank you

A pre-booked car service is always easiest.  It is also the most expensive.  The website I use to assess travel anywhere in the world is called   rome2rio.com  you can put any two places in the world and it gives you travel details for every type of service you can imagine together with costs and travel times.

For advance purchase of train tickets in the UK the website I use for this is  www.thetrainline.com  Any two UK stations and you get prices for the date you choose plus cost and the train changes required.  From Heathrow the Underground station in the terminal should take you to London Paddington underground station for onward travel on the main line rail system.

The Transport for London website gives maps and loads of information useful for travellers  www.tfl.gov.uk

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The easiest way to get from Heathrow to Southampton is by National Express Coach.  There is a direct service, and the coach station in Southampton is very close to the docks.  You can easily walk from there to the Ibis or Novotel hotels on West Quay Road.  From those hotels to the cruise terminal will be a 10 minute taxi rode at most.

I live in Southampton and will be happy to answer any other questions you have.  Welcome to my city :classic_biggrin:

Thank you so much for the info! Bus looks like the best option price wise but is 2 hrs 15 mins,,,I presume a car service will get us into Southampton quicker , but for a cost. Being as we are only in Southampton for the day, sail the following day, would like to explore as much of Southampton as we can on arrival day, so would like to get there quicker.After a 6 hour flight not sure how I feel about another 2 hrs on a bus. 

If you would like to see some fascinating parts of Southampton during your stay, Southampton Tourist Gudes do an excellent programme of guided walks taking in features like the old city walls and associations with famous ships such as Titanic, Queen Mary and The Mayflower.  You can find their web site at https://www.southamptontouristguides.com