Jamaica w/ Toddlers

catch-a-cruise

We are going to be taking a cruise in March on Royal Caribbean with our children, ages 2 and 3. Our ports are Cozumel, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Falmouth Jamaica. We plan on taking light weight car seats for the kids to get to and from the airport and to the cruise terminal in Galveston. I would rather not lug the carseats with us on excursions, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for toddler friendly excursions at any of these ports that would be either walking distance, or possibly some larger ground transport (like a bus).

• 4 months later...
On 1/23/2019 at 10:48 AM, catch-a-cruise said:

We are going to be taking a cruise in March on Royal Caribbean with our children, ages 2 and 3. Our ports are Cozumel, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Falmouth Jamaica. We plan on taking light weight car seats for the kids to get to and from the airport and to the cruise terminal in Galveston. I would rather not lug the carseats with us on excursions, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for toddler friendly excursions at any of these ports that would be either walking distance, or possibly some larger ground transport (like a bus).

hi there!  do you mind letting me know what you did a few years ago in Falmouth?  Currently digging to find some options for a 4 and 5 year old!  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 9:14 PM, staceyberoth said:

hi there!  do you mind letting me know what you did a few years ago in Falmouth?  Currently digging to find some options for a 4 and 5 year old!  Thanks!

Hi there— while I’m not obviously not the OP, I saw your post and thought I’d reply. We cruised to Jamaica in November and I had a hard time discerning good excursion options for our 5 year old, so I empathize with you. We ended up doing a ship sponsored excursion to the Martha Brae River— it was a rafting trip on a bamboo raft.  A little kitsch, but our son loved it!!! We rode there (took about 30 minutes from Falmouth) on a bus, and then the trip down the river took about two hours— you’re seated up above the water, so you don’t get wet/- you sort of just float along— our guide was awesome with children, even let our son paddle the raft with the long pole. I would recommend at least looking into this as an option. Life vests provided. Then back to the port area. 

53 minutes ago, Dulciana8 said:

Hi there— while I’m not obviously not the OP, I saw your post and thought I’d reply. We cruised to Jamaica in November and I had a hard time discerning good excursion options for our 5 year old, so I empathize with you. We ended up doing a ship sponsored excursion to the Martha Brae River— it was a rafting trip on a bamboo raft.  A little kitsch, but our son loved it!!! We rode there (took about 30 minutes from Falmouth) on a bus, and then the trip down the river took about two hours— you’re seated up above the water, so you don’t get wet/- you sort of just float along— our guide was awesome with children, even let our son paddle the raft with the long pole. I would recommend at least looking into this as an option. Life vests provided. Then back to the port area. 

thank you so much!!  I truly appreciate it.

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 7:05 AM, Dulciana8 said:

Hi.  I am looking into the Martha Brae tour but I have an adult son that is handicapped and can't walk long distances and he also has trouble on uneven terrain.  Would this be possible for him?  Is there a long walk to the actual raft?

Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, lesliekamm said:

Hi.  I am looking into the Martha Brae tour but I have an adult son that is handicapped and can't walk long distances and he also has trouble on uneven terrain.  Would this be possible for him?  Is there a long walk to the actual raft?

Thanks in advance!

If I remember correctly, it was not a long walk to the river from the staging area, but it is downhill— the sidewalks were paved within the park (parking lot was gravel) and I think there were some steps as you make your way to the river to board the rafts.