Best place to shop for hawaiian shirts

faerievert

Any tips for places to buy hawaiian shirts? My husband wants to buy several of the bright floral button up kind, not looking for name brands, and wears a size 2XLT. We'll have time in Kona, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Lahaina, and Hilo (in that order). We'll buy from a convenient tourist trap if we have to, but figured there might be better options somewhere.

23 minutes ago, faerievert said:

Any tips for places to buy hawaiian shirts? My husband wants to buy several of the bright floral button up kind, not looking for name brands, and wears a size 2XLT. We'll have time in Kona, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Lahaina, and Hilo (in that order). We'll buy from a convenient tourist trap if we have to, but figured there might be better options somewhere.

We can recommend Cooke Street shirts found at Costco, but notice the sizes only go to XXL.  Will that work?  The ones we have are made in Hawaii too, and at least here on Maui were still $19.99 the last time we looked.

1 minute ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We can recommend Cooke Street shirts found at Costco, but notice the sizes only go to XXL.  Will that work?  The ones we have are made in Hawaii too, and at least here on Maui were still $19.99 the last time we looked.

I think he'd be a bit disappointed to go shopping for his dream shirt at Costco, no matter how nice the shirts :classic_biggrin:

Bailey's in Honolulu.  They claim to have the world's largest selection of Hawaiian shirts - over 15,000.  Wide price ranges - from moderate prices to shirts valued in the $1,000+.  Some are antiques and have been worn by celebrities.  My DH bought 4 shirts (ranging in price from $35 - $60) on our last visit and he is ready to restock for more!  It was our first stop after getting off the plane and he is already planning the next visit.

http://alohashirts.com/

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Bailey's in Honolulu.  They claim to have the world's largest selection of Hawaiian shirts - over 15,000.  Wide price ranges - from moderate prices to shirts valued in the $1,000+.  Some are antiques and have been worn by celebrities.  My DH bought 4 shirts (ranging in price from $35 - $60) on our last visit and he is ready to restock for more!  It was our first stop after getting off the plane and he is already planning the next visit.

http://alohashirts.com/

That sounds perfect! Thank you 😊 

I'm not sure what you mean by name brands.  Reyn Spooner has beautiful shirts depending on what your price limit is.  There is a fabulous Salvation Army Store on the Nimitz Hwy in Honolulu with racks of Hawaiian shirts, great value.  Across the street is the KMart that also has a selection.  There are some great Goodwill Thrift Stores on Oahu which have racks and racks of Aloha shirts.  The surf shops also have some great aloha shirts.  I always check to see where they are made.  We are not interested in Aloha shirts made in China.  Have fun shopping,  Cherie 

p.s.  Don't underestimate the Costcos on Oahu, Hawaii, and Maui.  They have some really nice Hawaiian shirts and other souvenirs.  I'd rather shop at a Costco than a Hilo Hatties type store. 

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

We had some brand recommended, but it turned out to be some kind of $200+ per shirt designer (I don't recall the name). Looking for shops for locally-made brands of them (not necessarily popular or famous brand) vs going to a kmart or costco (where I would expect to find cheap imports, and would be supporting the locals).

Not all aloha shirts in Kmart and Costco are cheap imports, some are made in Hawaii.  Try googling aloha shirts made in Hawaii.  Banana Jack Shirts are awesome and easily found.  I've been to Bailey's but thought their prices were high.  I prefer my previous suggestions but I'm sure you will find the perfect shop for your shirts.  Have fun, Cherie

1 hour ago, cccole said:

I'm not sure what you mean by name brands.  Reyn Spooner has beautiful shirts depending on what your price limit is.  There is a fabulous Salvation Army Store on the Nimitz Hwy in Honolulu with racks of Hawaiian shirts, great value.  Across the street is the KMart that also has a selection.  There are some great Goodwill Thrift Stores on Oahu which have racks and racks of Aloha shirts.  The surf shops also have some great aloha shirts.  I always check to see where they are made.  We are not interested in Aloha shirts made in China.  Have fun shopping,  Cherie 

p.s.  Don't underestimate the Costcos on Oahu, Hawaii, and Maui.  They have some really nice Hawaiian shirts and other souvenirs.  I'd rather shop at a Costco than a Hilo Hatties type store. 

This is all great advice. I always shop at the Reyn's Outlet Store in Downtown Honolulu on Merchant St, not far from the cruise port.

Sears and KMart are very popular with locals.

I am fine with Hilo Hatties, I grew up watching her sing and entertaining people. Her stores provide a number of good jobs for locals.

Wish I had your experience of Hilo Hattie's entertainment (Clarissa "Clara" Haili Nelson).  Must have been awesome.  She recorded with Decca and Columbia Records.  I was sad to see the Hilo and the Nimitz Hwy stores close, as they were such historic places to shop for Hawaiian goods for many tourists.  And, they were always soooooo nice.

I did not know that Reyn's has an Outlet Store.  Thank you for the tip.  Cherie

On 1/24/2019 at 5:14 PM, cccole said:

I would second this idea to check out the Thrift Stores in Oahu. The Goodwill store I stopped at had a rack full of 2XL+ Hawaiian shirts. I ended up buying four Hawaiian made 2XL shirts which were in like new condition

Most authentic Hawaiian shirts have a pocket where the pattern matches the shirt pattern.  Plus, the tag says made in Hawaii.

Edited by calex

27 minutes ago, calex said:

Most authentic Hawaiian shirts have a pocket where the pattern matches the shirt pattern.  Plus, the tag says made in Hawaii.

My DH is a Hawaiian shirt snob.  He will only buy the ones that are "engineered".  The pockets have to match up to the pattern, along with the fronts and seams.  The tend to be a little more expensive and rare.  He has found a couple of good ones at Good Will in the Phoenix area near retirement communities.  

• Like 1

I know all about being an Aloha shirt snob. Got a closet full of Hawaiian made Aloha shirts. In Honolulu, you may want to try the Iolani Store at 1234 Kona Street 2nd Floor -- https://iolani.com/pages/store

If you are on Oahu on Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday, you could visit the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet where virtually anything is available. Here are a couple of good links:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 3:39 PM, birdie16 said:

Actually, I am a retired flight attendant and used to have a lot of layovers in Honolulu...the guys in our crew would swear by the Honolulu Goodwill store.  That is where you might find some really nice old vintage shirts.

Ok  just curious, are you buying these shirts at Goodwill to wear on the cruise or to just take home?  If to wear on the cruise, do you trust the ship's laundry to wash the shirts before wearing?  I would love to buy vintage shirts, but I would want to wear them on my cruise!  Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

I don’t know why I am just now seeing this but to answer your question, I would never trust the ships laundry, especially with something vintage.  Either have it cleaned before your cruise or take it home as a souvenir.

Don't spend a lot of time looking for a Kmart in Hawaii -- I think they are all gone now.  🙁

They were very popular there, most ports had a Kmart shuttle, along with Walmart and Hilo Hatties  

My dad spent 45 years with Kmart / SS Kresge, he retired before the downward spiral.  He gifted his three kids some Kmart stock soon after he retired.  He advised us to sell it right away.  My older sister, who always knows better, kept hers.  I think she wall papered her bathroom with it   

Aloha!

• Haha 1