Is Celebrity Edge's engineering fundamentally flawed?

Host Jazzbeau

Hi Jazz ~ where is your cabin located?  We were mid-ship two weeks ago and I have to say it was the quietest ship we've ever been on.  No creaking whatsoever on deck 9, mid-ship.  And even though we had some kind of rough seas, I never felt much movement.....not like other ships we've sailed on (I'm a strange one that actually likes a little movement).

I'm not an engineer, either, so I can't give you any structural data but on our sailing, Edge was a very quiet, non-creaky vessel.

Hope you are enjoying  yourself!

We will be in AQ class..a bit aft of mid..on Deck 9.( side opp of MC)..Sounds like a good non creaky  spot..  We changed  from 10, near the bump out,  and now have a bed by bath..

.Getting excited!

4 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Hi Jazz ~ where is your cabin located?  We were mid-ship two weeks ago and I have to say it was the quietest ship we've ever been on.  No creaking whatsoever on deck 9, mid-ship.  And even though we had some kind of rough seas, I never felt much movement.....not like other ships we've sailed on (I'm a strange one that actually likes a little movement).

I'm not an engineer, either, so I can't give you any structural data but on our sailing, Edge was a very quiet, non-creaky vessel.

Hope you are enjoying  yourself!

11160, S3 midship [between the Magic Carpet rails, which one might think would add extra structural stability].  The cabin next to us is an IV, which may fit with chengkp65's explanation of the open cereal box – that's the wall that's making all the creaking noise.  Tonight everything is quiet on the western front, but the noisy times were not what I would call 'heavy seas.'

We are enjoying the cruise [we have never not enjoyed a cruise], but it will not go on our top 3 list or even our top 10 list.  Luckily I don't have to figure out whether to return to Celebrity, since the Captain's Club math tells me I can only sail on Azamara until I move from Elite to Elite+ because I will then have just over 50% of my points on AZ and thereby get 6 free nights on my next cruise.  That's a loyalty incentive I can relate to!

But comparing Azamara to Celebrity Edge, I would probably book my next cruises on Azamara anyway because it has the ambience that we prefer.  Classy, laid back, elegant – and very interesting itineraries.

11 hours ago, Orator said:

At my age I'm creaking all the time. Must be an engineering flaw.

10 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Maybe you just need a “tune up”. 😁

5 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

More like a front end alignment!!!

Unless your wife decides it's time to trade you in on a newer model! :classic_ohmy:

22 hours ago, CeleryCruiser said:

I suppose that you have sailed with Solstice class ships earlier? They are very well made ships by Meyer Werft in Germany with some Finnish crucial parts like engines and the steering system.

Edge is made by STX France. Unfortunately I Don't have any experience on Edge but I have had some experience of earlier ships and ferries and compared the work quality between different manufacturers. I suppose that I know what you are trying to explain:  its like driving with BMW and comparing the experience with Peugeot....:classic_biggrin:

Well, Queen Mary 2 has been made in France (same shipyard) and I find her a pretty stable and reliable ship - even in rough seas.

Edited by Yoshikitty

QM 2 is an Ocean Liner..very stable, built for the big seas . We were on board for the back end of a hurrucane..hardly felt any motion. After seeing the movie about construction and readng the QM2 book, we  decided that when we take a TA...QM2 will be our choice!

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

11160, S3 midship [between the Magic Carpet rails, which one might think would add extra structural stability].  The cabin next to us is an IV, which may fit with chengkp65's explanation of the open cereal box – that's the wall that's making all the creaking noise.  Tonight everything is quiet on the western front, but the noisy times were not what I would call 'heavy seas.'

Have you considered that movement from your neighbors in IV were causing the squeaks, if you know what I mean?   🙂

Edited by TickledBlue
  • Haha 1