Purchasing OBC

panzafit

Thought I would share this just in case anyone needed to know, or maybe I was the only one who didn't know this. 

If you purchase obc before the cruise you can't use it in Cruise Planner, you can only use it on the ship. 

I purchased some obc for my daughter for her upcoming cruise in July so she could purchase a drink package or excursion or something.  I thought it worked like the obc you get when you book a cruise and she would be able to use it on Cruise Planner.  She kept logging in and it never showed up.  Just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean and they said if you purchase obc it won't show up in Cruise Planner, you can't use it until you get on the ship.

You also can't use the OBC from your TA.  It doesn't show up until you get on the ship as well.  Your best bet is to use your credit card and buy the drink package for her in the cruise planner.

That is incorrect. We received $50 each for our upcoming b2b from our TA and used it to purchase drink and internet packages. Showed up in our cruise planner right after booking along with the credit we got from Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what we thought after we realized about purchased obc but she actually was able to use the OBC she received from the TA in Cruise Planner.  That was only $25 though.  Wonder why obc from different sources can only be used certain ways.  You would think all obc should be able to be used the same way.

Edited by panzafit

6 minutes ago, iahawkfan21 said:

That is incorrect. We received $50 each for our upcoming b2b from our TA and used it to purchase drink and internet packages. Showed up in our cruise planner right after booking along with the credit we got from Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our OBC from TA has never showed up on the Cruise Planner.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iahawkfan21 said:

Sometimes the OBC from the travel agent is really from Royal, which is why it shows up in the Cruise Planner.  If the travel agent has group perks from Royal, they can pass that through to the guest, and in this case it shows up in the Cruise Planner.

Other times the travel agent is purchasing OBC from Royal, and in this case it does not show up in the Cruise Planner.

I was also very confused about this as my sister bought my son a Royal Caribbean gift card to use with the arcade.  When i redeemed it i selected use as on board credit and i expected it to show up in the cruise planner.  I waited a few weeks before calling RC.  Apparently there is a difference between "on board credit" that you purchase and "promotional on board credit" that you get from the travel agent that shows up on the cruise planner.

35 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

So if I add OBC with royal Caribbean direct will it show on the cruise planner 

No.  If you purchase OBC with Royal Caribbean it will NOT show on cruise planner, it will not show up until you board.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I have OBC on 2 cruises with my new TA😇 and both of them are showing up in my cruise planner

Are you using one of those fly by night Canadian travel agents?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

To purchase OBC do you need to call RCI directly or is there an option someplace on their website that I'm overlooking?

You can purchase gift certificates online but they must be redeemed for the OBC prior to cruising.  It's a lot easier to just call and purchase the OBC  800-722-5443